- advertisement -

I feel completely doomed

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by carbz, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Carbz, I am sorry your life is so difficult with diabetes. Not everyone has the same experience, and you deserve kindness and empathy. I welcome you to join Twitter and engage with the diabetes online community. Look for hashtags #dblog and #DSMA to find others so you don't feel alone.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Absolutely NO one has told him that he just has to see a therapist and get a pill or two and things will get better. All we have done is point out that nothing will get better if he doesn't at least TRY something different.

Read fast. This post may not meet the CWD standards for glitter-blowing, rainbows, unicorns, and everything sunshiney. God forbid we try to actually spur someone into getting help, as opposed to constantly indulging their obvious spiral into major depression and self-loathing.

But in closing, I agree that twitter would be a perfect place for carbz.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Carbz, I also am a member on Tudiabetes. I think you are Gary there, right? I went and looked at some of your old posts over there to see what crap we were saying.

I think we said things like you have to test more then 1 time a day, that you can't eat everything you want, and that you need to test before you eat, etc, etc, etc...so not just take a happy pill - but also look at your overall diabetes management.

Based on your Tudiabetes posts, you are not the attentive Type 1 that gets disgruntled going from a 90 to a 105 - because how do you know when you tell the forum that you test once a day, and never before you eat?

I revise my opinion of talking to a counselor, and would rather you talk to an experienced Type 1 endo and get reeducated. You have no idea what your blood sugar is doing.

4. hawkeyegirl

Well, it didn't take me long to find Gary at tudiabetes who never posted about anything except how horrible his life is. Here's a sample response to him from a member who apparently got to know Gary pretty well over the years.

I'm sure this will get deleted too, as apparently CWD posters have more delicate sensilbilities when it comes to hearing the unvarnished truth than do tudiabetes posters, but this appears to summarize why carbz left tudiabetes. They got tired of his incessant posts about his lot in life, and his annoyance with anyone who tried to offer him advice on how to make it better. THESE ARE HIS PEERS, WHO STRUGGLE EVERY DAY WITH THIS DISEASE TOO. Apparently, even the DOC has its limits. I'd suggest he create a blog, with comments turned off.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I just wanted to interject that if my son were to tell me this I would speculate that what he was feeling might be a manifestation of some other, perhaps organic, issue. I might speculate that he felt better when his BGs were "near perfect" because it gave him the feeling that he was in control. In other words, from my layman's point of view, perhaps it's not the actual BGs that made him feel better but instead the emotional or even physical impact the control gave him. Some people feel better when they close and open the door 4 times. KWIM?

$0.02

6. hawkeyegirl

He has admitted that he is depressed many times both here, and on tudiabetes. His argument is that he is depressed because of how bad he feels, and he can only become "undepressed" if T1 is cured. He absolutely refuses (for years, apparently, reading his tudiabetes posts) to take anyone's advice to seek mental health treatment.

I do feel very, very sorry for him, because he obviously is 100% miserable.

7. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated, but I know for my DD, her emotions/stress level/etc. affect her bg levels, so maybe treating the depression would help to regulate the blood sugars, after all. Then that would help the emotions to stabilize, which would further help the bg levels, and on and on in a cyclical pattern for better health altogether?

You won't know until you try. I understand a tiny bit of your frustration...we have Kaiser and are told "no" to almost all the treatment options we want to try (Cgm, omnipod, verio IQ/freestyle insulinx meter, a rediculous amount of time to wait to start pumping). It's so frustrating to be locked into what they are willing to cover, instead of having the power to choose for ourselves. But, I do jump to try anything they suggest/will allow. It might not be what (or as big of an improvement as) we want, but it's what we can do, and every little bit helps.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that seeing the counselor/taking the depression meds/etc. Might not be the major fix you want, but maybe it will help SOME, and some help seems better than no help at all. Even if it's just a tiny improvement, it would be one tiny step ahead of where you are now, and tiny steps can add up to a great distance!

Here's hoping for you!

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I do not understand why you would not just go on a low carb diet. People achieve A1C?s in the 4?s on these diets. Why wouldn?t you at least try it? Someone suggested this early in the thread and I noticed you never even acknowledged the suggestion.

I do not understand what food item would be so pleasurable and gratifying that it justifies you being in misery as per your description.

Yes, it is a restrictive diet, but it is also very effective at eliminating hyperglycemia.

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That is a good idea that you ought to consider. A child needs more carbohydrate to develop than adults do. There are lots of food plans that are low carb -- Atkins, South Beach, Paleo come to mind. You can use these plans to maintain your weight -- it is just a way of eating. I am familiar with Atkins and now eat more veggies than I ever have (along with protein and fat).

Using food to control blood sugar is an accepted method to manage diabetes.

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Carbz doesn't want help, he's said so himself. What he wants to do is vent and talk things out (even though he says talking won't help). This is a forum for support, but I have yet to see anyone qualified to give free therapy. I am so very uncomfortable with this whole thread and others he's posted, and I've shared my concerns with Jeff. Carbz has posted this story for years, here and other places on the web. The story remains the same -- he will always be this way, nothing helps, he has no insurance, it's transplant or die, etc. Evidently, these are appropriate things to post on a forum that includes children. I think he's gotten more than enough attention, just look at all the views this thread has now. He left tudiabetes because he didn't like what people had to say, and he's supposedly left here too. The man does not want our help.