- advertisement -

I feel completely doomed

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by carbz, Sep 22, 2012.

1. carbz

carbz Banned

I feel like hell at 134 as well but it certainly doesn't take as long to get back down. I do physical labor in a hot environment so I got caught off guard. I normally drink a lot because of my working conditions but yesterday I screwed up. I usually don't get that out of range. Maybe a few 250 + sugars a month.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It is abundantly clear to me that you need to talk to a mental health professional. Your posts on here cry out for help, we gently suggest that you go talk to someone, and you tell us that it won't do any good. Lather, rinse, repeat. I do feel bad for you, because you are obviously clinically depressed, but lately, I've had to bite my tongue from snapping at you. It is very trying to give the same advice to someone over and over and to have them continue to ignore it and complain about the same problem without actually trying to DO anything about it.

I frankly worry more for the newbies who stumble onto your posts than anything. I can't imagine what I would have thought as a parent of a newly diagnosed child to read posts from a D adult who constantly referred to their life as a complete nightmare, a living hell, life barely worth living, completely doomed, etc.

Please, get some help. You are not only miserable yourself, but you're making everyone who comes into contact with you miserable as well.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I may have missed it...but what are your thoughts on seeking some counseling to help deal with your physical distress?? Your endo's thoughts?? Don't go through this alone...there are caring people out there who will want to help you.

4. carbz

carbz Banned

The two issues I have with counseling is one I don't have insurance and not even sure what kind of counselor to pursue? Second I work more or less six days a week. I was seeing a counselor back in 1999 for a few months when I had insurance but felt like It wasn't really being much benefit. I mean the reality is once I left the office I still had to deal with my life. I really need to be involved with someone that really understands the magnitude of living with this condition. On top of that my bizarre life situation.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

You definitely have to find the right fit when it comes to counseling. I know there are those out there who specialize in helping people with chronic conditions, including D. Might take some effort to find one...but also might be worth it. A good counselor will also be willing to help you with your time and financial constraints.

You're right that once you leave the office, you still have to deal with your life. But a counselor can help give you the tools to do that more effectively...that's the whole goal. I hope you might consider giving it another try. Good luck.:cwds:

6. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I also think you were sort of hoping that someone here has an idea of what you're going through. Having such a limited blood sugar range where you actually feel good really sucks. And if there was another person that has a similar problem, I think you'd feel a bit better because you'd know someone else understood what you'r going through.

When you have an additional problem that compounds the diabetes and there is not another person you know of that understands, it does make things difficult. When the medical profession tells you it can't happen, you want to scream. I know because I've had to deal with doctors who have told me problems I have, can't possibly happen. When these problems interfere with my blood sugars I want to scream. Then add the craziness that menopause has done to my blood sugars.... So far I haven't, and none of my doctors have found another juvenile onset woman who has the type of issues I do.

7. carbz

carbz Banned

This is exactly what I was trying to convey. I'm not suggesting I am the only diabetic that feels lousy but most people seem to have a much greater window. Then there are the actual symptoms that can be dramatically different from person to person. Mine are pretty severe both physically and mentally, Just an example I had a drilling a few months back. I normally am fine getting my teeth drilled because I've had it done so many times. Anyway I wasn't feeling good at all but went anyway. Sat in the chair anxious (BS) related. Just as he got me ready for the drilling and put the air suction in my mouth, my mouth was so dry (from high BS) I literally started suffocating. I couldn't swallow or anything. I had to stop immediately. Went in the bathroom and sure enough I was up around 250. I admit I haven't tried anti/ depressants or anxiety pills to see if they help. I think they may while I'm feeling ok but something tells me when I get out of my comfort window I am still gonna be a mess. What are my options? Sometimes I can be rather ok and even in good spirits at times but when the sugars are bothering me there seems to be no way around it. I just fold into misery. I've got a lot of personal issues on my plate as well but this disease is just not letting me be the person I really am.

8. hawkeyegirl

Ask your endo for a referral to a counselor. Keep looking until you find one with a sliding scale. Or pay out of pocket. Or ask someone for a loan. The other alternative is living out your life in abject misery.

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes...you're clearly seeking help... explore EVERY option. If you try anxiety pills and they don't work...you're in the same place you are now. But, if you try them and they DO work...perhaps you can live the life you want. Isn't that worth the risk of being disappointed?

10. carbz

carbz Banned

Well I'll never live the life I want (especially since the prime of my life is long gone) but that's a whole other thing. At this point I just need to find a way to better cope with this rancid disease my personal/work life and the fate of my mom and dad down the road.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I really don't know what to say to this. I only hope my children never have to the life that you portray.

12. hawkeyegirl

YOU ARE CLINICALLY DEPRESSED. Ask your endo for a referral. There is nothing more that anyone on this board can tell you to help until YOU decide to help yourself.

13. carbz

carbz Banned

You know I got the same crap over at tudiabtes. I never asked for help specifically from anyone but they just kept suggesting things to try. Because I had my disbeliefs in anything really working they didn't want to deal with me. If you don't like what post you can ignore it. I realize you are trying to help but I"m not stupid. I know exactly what is out there as far as help. Pills/counciling. I won't deny I am not clinically depressed but that's what the sugar swings do to me. If they don't do that your child well great for you and him/her. Talking to someone is a great idea if a potential solution to the can be achieved. If there is a magic pill that can help transform me into a better place I will honestly be shocked (though I am going to pursue it). Part of living with any chronic condition means dealing with whatever symptoms it causes. I truly believe that without a biological fix all these symptoms are going to remain.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Didn't you say you were in your 40s?? Gee, I'm about to be 44 in a couple of weeks...I had no idea the prime of my life was long gone.:(;)

Well, maybe I worded my sentence poorly. How about a life with hope? That may be a good first goal. And, broken record I may be...counselors are trained to help you find your hope...and how to cope until you do. There is always a way...if you choose to find it. I know change can be scary...even positive change. Even when we are miserable, there can be something safe in staying in the same place. If we don't try...we can't fail. If we change things, the whole world becomes unknown and we may not know our place in it. If we feel better...we may expect more from ourselves and our life...and then we may fail again. It's a risk to try and feel better. If we don't try...we can't be disappointed again. This is the only life you have though...I'd keep fighting for it if I were you. It sounds like you feel pretty darn lost now...there is so much you could gain.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

Then please tell us all goodie goodies what you want from here? A Help Forum about diabetes? If it isn't to be helped or to offer help, then why be here? If it is to just say how miserable you are, there are better venues, such as blogs, that you can say whatever you want and they won't ever talk back and offer well meaning advice.

Because I guarantee, that as long as you post here, people are going to try and offer advice and help, or as you like to call it, crap, just like the kind people over at tudiabetes...

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Ok, then I'll just give you a pat on the hand and a good luck. I hope you find some answers to what seems to be a rare, if not totally unique, problem.

17. carbz

carbz Banned

The whole point of my posting was to find out if anyone else that has diabetes is dealing with the same kind of distress I get from it. I can't and won't blame everything about the way my turned out 100% from diabetes. My folks wanted a stress free life for me and didn't push me to do anything challenging. They themselves had no goals in life but to work, pay bills and have a little fun.As a teen I did rather ok dealing with the diabetes. It was around my mid 20's that I starting realizing it was the diabetes that was making me feel horrible, anxious and just overwhelmed in general. I was on 2 shots of NPH a day so you know the story there. I learned how to better manage it but still noticing I was just not feeling all that great. Overall better but quickly came to the realization that I needed near perfect sugar levels to feel right. Still overwhelmed with the condition and what to do with myself I got caught up in the comfort of living at home and here I am still 20 years later. I probably have the education level of an elementary school kid as the requirements when I graduated HS were totally different then today. So that leaves me in dead end jobs for life. Right now I am lucky I even have a job. If I loose it, the way things are I'll be lucky to even have a chance of finding another one. I am paranoid about dealing with my aging parents as I myself am a mess. My dad is also diabetic but he's rather fine with it. I told my mom a decade ago she would see me free from this nightmare before she goes and I really believed this would have been over by now. I refuse to give up hope for a biological fix.

18. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I wish you luck. I hope you will be as tenacious in searching for a psychological fix as well.

19. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I think the biggest issue here is he doesn't want anyone to tell him what to do because everyone is telling him the same damn thing, you're depressed see a therapist get a pill or two and things will get better.

If you don't have an additional problem that makes your being a juvenile onset diabetic hell, you really don't understand. He just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through the same thing he has.

Yes he's depressed. Hell I would be too if I had a very limited ranged where my blood sugars needed to be to feel good. Taking an antidepressant (and several of them can increase blood sugars, which will make things worse for him) or talking to a therapist isn't going to help find a way to keep his blood sugars where HE needs them to be. That, I believe is his biggest problem. He can't find a way to keep his blood sugars where they need to be. Talk therapy won't do that.

I see where he's coming from because whereas I don't have the same problems, I do have issues that no other diabetic has. The medical profession has told me my problems can't happen.

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

NO ONE is saying there's a magic pill. Obviously a therapist can't make the stated BG issues go away. It's how those issues are being dealt with emotionally that the therapist can help with.