- advertisement -

I dodn't want to Hi-jack another thread. Please answer this...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Jan 4, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

But that is not really true, and why I don't understand the point of this thread. Some people with diabetes DO have it easier than others. It is just the nature of the beast. Why is that so hard to accept?

Tuff simply said that they knew of children who had fairly consistant numbers. Why the need to "disprove" that?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Christopher, your confused. :rolleyes:

And, if you hadn't called me a liar I might have explained it. But, you did, and we don't really get along. You look for negatives in what ever I do so I am done talking to you :)

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

That?s not really true ultralente insulin was could be used in much the same way as lantus and levemir, so you had to inject regular with each meal. With regular insulin it was recommended to inject 30 minutes before eating. Then humalog came out around 98 and gained widespread use pretty quickly.

For whatever reason ultralente was never very widely prescribed, during the pre lantus era. There was also Lente but it acted more like NPH.

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I agree. I should have said most people used NPH, but some used Lente or Ultralente.

5. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Before Miranda was pumping she was 6.1, 6.3, 6.8 but looking back she had too many lows for these results...

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

How do the parents know that their child is staying even throughout the night if they don't use a CGMS and they never test. I hate to say it but there is no way unless they have built in blood sugar radar.
    As to the other cases I am wondering if there are more instances of type 1B than we realize.

7. Heather(CA)

Is 1B the same as type 1.5? Where it acts more like type 2 for several years before turning into type 1?

As far as not testing at night, they probably do once in a while to be sure. But it can totally happen. When Seth isn't in sports and he was on Lantus. I had many night where when I tested he stayed within 10 points. I think it's because of his round bootie lol

Also, if he was going really high then coming down that would show up in the A1c kwim?

8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Same here. I know other PWDs that can go "Oh, I'm 372, guess I'd better correct." They don't try to figure out why or anything. I'm like "372!! What HAPPENED?!" And I get mad when I see numbers like that. I sometimes wonder if I'm just more hypersensitive than they are and it's the high bg reacting more than me.

To answer the OP's question, no, I don't know anyone like that. The other PWDs and CWDs that I know struggle just as much as I do.

9. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

My daughter's A1C has been around 6.2 and latest was 5.7 ... she is not in honeymoon ... having said that ... we NEVER could have achieved it without the CGM!! Also I would be happy with a 7.5 or below. But she feels better when she runs between 100-120.

With the CGM we can run her much tighter and fine tune her basals much more!

and yes, she plays soccer, surfs, and is very athletic which helps her alot.

but I also know that when puberty hits ... it will be a totally different game!!!

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

No. 1B is antibody negative, thought to be non-autoimmune, type 1 diabetes. It's type 1 because the c-peptide is low to non-existent. On average, people with 1B have lower A1cs than people with 1A.

People diagnosed with 1.5 or LADA ALWAYS are antibody positive (it's part of the definition of LADA).

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think her point is that there is no way to know what is happening at night without testing or a CGM. We have seen many, many things on the CGM in the middle of the night that we would have never suspected happen if we didn't have it.

Testing once in a while does not tell you what is happening on a given night.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Heather, my kid would kill me for posting something like this.

I know that you like the word "bootie" but maybe Seth wouldn't be so pleased?:rolleyes:

13. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I have not read through any posts, but Kaleb has always had great A1C numbers and he does not take the best care of himself. The only real time he checks his BS is before he drive ( not an option ) and if he feels "off". He changes his site when he runs out of insulin. A lot of times his pump will do the "no button pushed in 16 hours" reminder.

I am not proud or happy about this, but he is 19 dx'd at 16 and it has been a battle since day 1. He is just starting to do better. We go back to the Endo in a few weeks so we will see how it is going. His last one was 6.2.

I am going to go back and read the rest.

I just went through and read through all the posts. Kaleb does not measure his food, however he does bolus most of the time when he eats.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  14. Heather(CA)

Interesting...I learned something today:D

15. Heather(CA)

Seth is not a shy kid, YKMV;) It's comforting to know how much you care about Seth Sarah, I'm sure he was your motivation for you post ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

actually, not to hijack the hijack, but I'm pretty sure Seth's privacy WAS the motivation for her post. If you look back you'll find that Sarah has often spoken out in defense of privacy for our kids and teens here. When people have over shared a bit too much on menstrual issues, or emotional problems or when there have been worries about some teens, Sarah's quick to point out that kids, even though they are our kids, have the right to some privacy. She's often made people look at their posts from the point of their kids. It's good to know you feel your kid is outgoing. However, it's also good to continually evaluate what we ALL say about our kids in a public forum. And I think Sarah helps us all keep that in the forefront of our mind.

She said right up front that HER child would hate that mention and just wondered if Seth did as well. You post about him not being a shy kid was sufficient and answered efficiently. You didn't need to really edit the post much later to add in the snark. ;)

17. Heather(CA)

Michelle, do you think that Sarah can speak for herself? This isn't her only snarky post towards me recently. You can give her the benefit of the doubt if you want. I am speaking from experience:rolleyes: I have actually defended her recently in pm's TWICE. Then I turn around and here she goes again. What goes around is going to come around.. Her post is insulting, she might as well come out and say I don't respect my son's privacy which is not true. I came back and added what I did after seeing MORE snarky post from her... My son's and I are very close, I do not need Sarah to get involved in my parenting/relationship. Period.

18. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well, perhaps I was trying to smooth the waters a bit and didn't want to see a nasty confrontation arise.

But have at it.

19. Heather(CA)

I'm sure you mean that, but when you do that it make the person feel ganged up on. I'm not really even mad at Sarah. It just not THAT big a deal. Do you think I was nasty? I thought I was pretty funny :)

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Heather, I don't know how I have been "snarky" to you recently. I really cannot think to which post you are referring.

And while it's nice that you've been "defending" me in PMs, you needn't worry. If folks have a problem with me and my comments they should just contact me directly and not worry other people about it.;)

To the topic at hand. If you want to talk about your 15 year old son's "bootie" on an open forum them by all means it's obviously your choice. If it strikes some of us as ... infantilizing and oddly inappropriate that we must just let it go. I promise never to comment on your fondness for describing Seth's bootie here on CWD ever again.