- advertisement -

I.D. Bracelet....who needs them......?????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diabetesdad, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Diabetesdad

Diabetesdad Approved members

Medical I.D. alert bracelets. What to do with them on kids and do you wear one as an adult? First of all, not to bash any sort of industry but a medical I.D. alert bracelet is not jewelry. It has a purpose. It has a huge purpose. It is, as it states in the name, to alert. Should it ever be needed that a medical team needs to know.......

If you ar einterested.....see the rest of the post here .

2. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dd needs one! She never wears one. I'd like to convince her, but your link is not working for me :eek:

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Hey Diabetesdad, I get that you are trying to drum up traffic for your blog, but just posting a question and then a link to your blog is a bit insulting, at least to me. I would much rather get to know you and have a conversation with you on this forum. That is what this place is, a forum, not a blog role call.

Instead, how about you post your blog posts here and join the discussion on them?

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I agree.

*msg too short:cwds:

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hmmm, not the first time I've heard this request:cwds:

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I sugest you put the link of your blog into your siggy... that way people who want to can access it, but they don't have to...

7. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I agree that medical bracelets are a necessity...but honestly, clicking on your blog to read your thoughts is too much work....I come on CWD to catch up on what everyone is taking about, not to chase other links..... Why don't you write your thoughts here for this community????

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

I agree with the masses. Other forums I participate in would consider this spam at this point and warn/ban the OP.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

The person who writes Diabetes Dad is a fixture at CWD and a well known speaker at their conferences. He is a VP of DRI and received the Jeff Hitchcock award a few years ago for his service to help people with type 1.

I know we prefer people discuss here rather than just post pointers to a blog post but I don't think he is going to get warned or banned....;)

There is his bio:
    Tom Karlya, Vice President of the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation, is commonly known throughout the diabetes community as Diabetes Dad, used virtually everywhere, including his monthly column which appears at www.dLife.com/diabetesdad. He's been active since his daughter, Kaitlyn, was diagnosed in 1992 at the age of two. In 2009, his son Rob was also diagnosed, at age 13. Tom has been introduced to the NY State Capitol, testified in Washington, D.C., appeared at diabetes-related events at the United Nations and has lectured across the US about being a Diabetes Dad. He received numerous commendations for his work in the Katrina efforts where he was instrumental in organizing aid to over 10,000 people with diabetes. Tom was awarded The Jeff Hitchcock Distinguished Service Award from CWD in 2008 among many other awards from groups and organizations. For 12 years as an actor, he starred in the New York Production of Tony 'N Tina's Wedding, with the original Company and also at The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, D.C., in Summer of the 17th Doll. His film, lbs., was at the Sundance Film Festival, and appeared in Unsolved Mysteries, Spin City, The Cosby Show, NYPD Blue, Law and Order, America's Most Wanted, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, and more as well as numerous commercials. He won 13 Telly Awards, a FREDDIE Award, and was nominated for an Emmy Award while Executive Producer of dLife on CNBC. Tom will tell you that above everything else, he's just a CWD Dad.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

That's great, I think what the community is asking is that instead of giving a sound bite and forcing us to click on his blog for the information he should print the meat of it here for discussion, if discussion is what is desired.

What it feels like, to me, when people do what he is doing, is trying to increase blog traffic. It doesn't seem to me that discussion is the goal, instead it feels self-serving.

If that's not true, then put more information on here and include the blog link at the bottom/signature area, individual members can then choose to follow the blog if wanted.

We've been down this road before and unfortunately as far as I can tell that blogger has disappeared altogether. It's too bad because I enjoyed his voice, just didn't want to click on his blog, I just wanted to join in the discussion here.

11. Dan

Dan Approved members

I have known and worked side by side with Tom for the past 3 years and I assure you that his goal is not self-serving. I have never met someone so passionate about finding a cure for us all including his two children.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I acknowledged that that may be true, and asked that instead of only linking the blog, to put more info up so discussion can occur here. Please do not cut out only part of my words and make it seem like I was being harsh, I was not. I stated that it SEEMED self serving and if that were not true, a solution.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It really doesn't matter if the OP is the nicest man in the world. What matters is that he's got 7 posts to his name and the last two were links to his blog. Is that allowed? Probably, but it's still, imho, not fully in the spirit of CWD.

When I see threads asking for donations, or linking to blogs without engaging content, or requests for survey data or marketing assistance I ask myself, "what if the majority of posts on CWD were like this?" And how would it be if instead of posting discussion topics, members, a bunch of members, started posting links to their blogs? Nice one way conversation that would be.:rolleyes:

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

This was his second post promoting his blog in two days. I had responded to the first post and then deleted it when this post came up, for the reasons set forth above.

I enjoy Tom's blogs and his insight into D. It would be nice if he could join in the conversation instead of just posting a link and disappearing. :cwds:

15. Dan

Dan Approved members

My intentions were not to make you seem like you were being harsh. I edited my post to include your entire post. Sorry if you were upset.

16. Dan

Dan Approved members

I agree I also wish that Tom would post here and provide some of his insight on a regular basis.

17. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Jeff is traveling today and not available to look at this thread. I have asked him to look at it when he has time.

Personally, I think Tom's posts are like those on FB, where you are directed to a link/article/blog. I don't think he's promoting his blog, but looking for comments/input that he would not get otherwise because he is not FB friends with everyone.

18. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Except on FB, people usually post those links on their personal walls or pages, and people can choose to subscribe/friend or not. I've always viewed CWD as a discussion-based forum.

ETA: I'm not a fan of these hit-and-run posts. OP literally posted, left, and hasn't been back.

19. Diabetesdad

Diabetesdad Approved members

Absolutely agree--to ALL!

Dear all----

I have broken 'the rules of engagement' as they say and I truly 100% agree with the posts and I humbly apologize. I honestly did not know.

My Bad. Won't happen again.

Usually, when I post in places, I'm notified that someone has responded or commented. This is run a little differently in here. So I did not see; today I saw....oh my, I am so sorry I have not addressed this earlier. I truly am.

I truly almost fell off my chair when I saw all the comments about how I post.

Um....WOW!

Rest assured, I got the message.

When I post anything moving forward it will be in its entirety with a link at the end/bottom should anyone want to see what other things I may have posted or if you want to comment.

This is so my bad, I stand corrected, you have my word that it will not happen again. Period.

Kindly accept my humble apologies. Really.

Regards,
    Tom
    Diabetesdad

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012