- advertisement -

I can't possibly be the first person to do this.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by McKenna'smom, Apr 22, 2010.

1. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I can't possibly be the first person to do this. UPDATE on Post #18!

Well, I had my first, "I can't believe I just did that" moment with my daughter's D today. I accidently dropped her Ultra 2 meter into the toilet. :rolleyes:

Now, all I get is an Error 2 message. The problem is that I don't immediately write down her BG numbers and usually wait a few days and then jot down all her numbers I missed at once in her log. So now I have some big empties in my log. I called her endo and we are going to see if we can still download the data tomorrow morning.

Boy, do I feel stupid! :eek:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Things happen. Hopefully, you can download the needed information.Good for you for logging so diligently. We haven't logged in years. :eek:

3. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Things happen. Hopefully, you can download the needed information. Good for you for logging so diligently. We haven't logged in years. :eek:

4. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Ha! Do you know how many times I have dropped my pump in the toilet? It's all part of the fun of d:rolleyes:

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I haven't dropped one in the toilet, but I did drop a meter in the puddle.. called the company and got a new one asap.. if you let it dry over night, you may be able to get to the memory tomorrow.

You're not the first, and you won't be the last.. we all have these moments. ;)

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

No meter yet - but other electronic things have ended up in the toilet.

My advice would be to stop pressing the buttons and let it dry as much as possible.With each press of the buttons, if the inside is wet it is damaging those little electronic parts. Even take the hair dryer to it on a low setting. Leave it until you can get it to the endo office to see if it can be downloaded.

Good Luck!

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

been there done that LOL! I dropped Ashleigh's into the school's toilet. Yuck! It was the first week she was back at school, we were in the nurse's bathroom and i swear the thing grew wings and flew out of my hand right into the toilet. DH had to run home and get a new meter, because all we were getting was error messages too. Once it dried out inside it started working again.

8. McKenna'smom

That's good to know. Hopefully ours will too!

9. chammond

chammond Approved members

I don't know if it works but I have heard to cover electronics in rice to absorb the water. I know there are tricks on the internet for drying electronics that have gotten wet. Sorry, hopefully you will be able to at least get you numbers off if nothing else. Good luck

10. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

My pump rep told me of someone who's pump was accidently flushed :eek:. She was at the pool with her kids and it got knocked off the little shelf as the toilet was flushing and managed fall in. Some how Minimed was able to get her a new pump even though they couldnt get the old one back.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Have you seen the type 1 mom song on youtube? The pump drops into the toilet at one point in the song (we can't afford to repeat/the pump in the toilet incident).

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

You are definitely not the first! I haven't done that with a meter, but when I was on the Omnipod I did it with the PMD:eek: . I was getting ready for work one morning, and was trying to change my pod. I opened up my cupboard, and a case fell out. It hit my PDM off the counter, and into the dogs water bowl right below it. That wasn't a good morning!

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Oh, don't use a hair dryer. :eek: My brother did that to my laptop once after a glass of water spilled on the keyboard and destroyed the motherboard. Found out it was better to let the thing dry out on its own. Just my two cents worth.

14. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Open it as much as possible and put it in a covered bowl of dry rice.
    The rice obsorbs all the moisture and it may work perfectly for you the following day.

We've done this will cell phones and it workd everytime!!!!

15. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Years ago, Andy's meter "died" after the nanny confessed that she dropped the meter in the tub (wonder if it was actually the toilet .... ). One touch sent us a replacement. It happens!

16. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

If you put it in rice make sure the rice doesnt get in anywhere and get stuck. I did that with a battery charger once. It had vent holes and the rice went right in and got stuck.

17. Hockeygirl

Hockeygirl Approved members

Well not the toliet, but the lake....And Chloe called me and said it was her pump!!!:eek: She was so upset....I was too until i figured out it was the meter...lol Just called and they over nighted and new one for free!:rolleyes:

18. McKenna'smom

Update

Well, I stopped pushing buttons and let it dry over night. I was able to get her numbers that I was missing. :)

However, I think I will start using the new one and keep this one for backup. ;)

19. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

YAY! So glad you were able to get the numbers off it.

20. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

LOL we were told to always make sure we log daily if at all possible. The CDE even used the "you would be surprised how many people have dropped a meter in the toilet" example! Apparently it happens a lot!