- advertisement -

I am up and running with the CGM in the cloud!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jul 10, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well sort of, I took the easy way and using the "donate" app version from Rajat, and did not code my own program and website. Did for both the girls and just waiting for them to come home to hook them up

This will be great!

CGM in the cloud is on facebook

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Rajat helped me, too! I love having it set up - hope you love it, too!

Did you see the post the other day about setting up an app button so it's even easier to load on your phone? I did that, too - every little shortcut makes it even more awesome!

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes I saw it, and it is in the back of my mind. I haven't had the girls here to see it running yet, except for all of about 10 minutes! before I drove them to grandmas.

Right now Rajat version will do for my purposes, but seeing what others have done with it is just plain old amazing! I will ease myself that way and call in favors if need be before school starts.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That's great! I'm enjoying ours every night (receiver wouldn't read in my bedroom). I started with Rajat's version, but after a couple of weeks I tackled the DIY (community) version on my own; it wasn't hard, it just took some time.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

What's the difference between Rajat's version and the DIY (community) version?

6. mamattorney

Well, they look different (Rajat's is in color, the community is gray on black), but the main thing is that there are many skilled developers working on updates and improvements to the community version, so over time, it may be a more sophisticated build. At least from a user's perspective, they are virtually the same at this point though.

7. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

THAT IS SO COOL!!!!! My dd wants no part of a cgm - does not want another "thing" to wear, but so nice to know there are smart people out there creating things to help make diabetes a tad easier!!

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am getting my feet wet in the DIY version, and will try to get to the community version before school start. It just looks more professional.

9. cococay

cococay Approved members

We're lovin' it too!!! Glad you got it going. I do have enough technical background that I just jumped into the DIY version... :) We just got a phone last Saturday that works, so we've only had the mobility for a few days. Even just having it while he's home has been incredible... now if only his sensors didn't flake out do often and the data I can see would be more consistent...

(Speaking as I just had his 5 day old Dex sensor show that he dropped to 45, only to check him and find he's 265 and 276 -checked twice to verify..)

Of course he goes to camp Sunday - will probably send him with his minimed sensors for camp - no worries about receiver getting lost or wet that way, so I don't really want to out a new sensor in today either.. Back to the dark-ages I suppose :)

10. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

We've been using it almost from the start of the facebook group and it has been a tremendous leap in our progress of reducing stress and anxiety and increasing the quality of life for us all. Anyone with a G4 that hasn't done this yet should go for it! Congrats mmgirls!

11. Adrian

Adrian Approved members

A quite new forum about CGM in the cloud and NightScout: http://nightscout.info/
    You have to log in before seeing any activity, I think. But it is better to communicate and have support than facebook.

Good luck with your new system.

With the help of their code I built an alarm clock ($35 chip; no cloud, no smartphone, just an alarm system for the night) and I have to say: It was the most fun I ever had with my diabetes. But apart from the geek-fun I have to say: the practical benefit is great. I'm sure it will help you too.

12. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

How to start? Is there a website that leads you step by step? Can someone technologically impaired (like me) set the system up?

13. Adrian

Adrian Approved members

14. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I guess I just don't see the necessity at this point for my daughter to go through all the expense and time. She's 8 and if she takes her Dex with her where she is, we can trust her to respond to alarms herself. Now, if she stays overnight at a friend's I do ask the parents check her in the night. How old are your children that you are using this with?

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm just waiting on the cables and the extra dex. I ordered a phone off of eBay, and got that Tuesday. I hope it's worth the money.

I think my husband is going to try to do this himself. The people on the FB page claim that anyone can set it up, with the "step by step guide", but I think they're nuts. The super-simple step by step guide has instructions such as: "You need to verify that you have "ADB" working with your phone. From the command line (DOS prompt), navigate to where you installed Android Studio (e.g., c:\Program Files\Android-Studio\) and change directories (cd) to "sdk\platform-tools". Type "adb devices" -- if your phone shows up (it must be connected via the USB cable!), then Android Studio will find it. If your phone doesn't show, then Android Studio will NOT find your phone."

Wut?

Anyway, my husband does have some technical know-how, and enjoys this sort of thing, so I figure I'll give him a week before I ask Rajat for the basic version.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Sorry for the double post. I don't think the cost is prohibitive (if this thing works!). You can get the parts for about $100.00, and then if you are going to use it other than over Wi-Fi, you're looking at a $9.00 a month data plan.

My son is 10. I plan to use this mostly for overnights and when he is over at friends' houses. Sure, he'll (mostly) respond to the Dex alarms, but he won't keep an eye on the Dex unless and until it alarms. So if he is at a friend's house and he alarms high, he will (probably) test and correct. But it won't re-alarm for another 2 hours, and depending on what is going on, he could be 300+ by then. (This actually happened at camp yesterday.) If I'm alerted, I can keep an eye on things and text or call him to take action appropriately. With overnights, I wouldn't ask his friends' parents to test him, and they wouldn't know what to do with the number anyway.

17. mamattorney

My daughter is 11. We use it all the time at night because the receiver won't reach to my bedroom, so that alone makes it worth it to me. We don't use it too much outside of the house during the day, so far this summer I can count on one hand the number of times we've used it outside of the house.

I do plan on using it next school year however. Not because my daughter is negligent about alarms, but because she wants independence. Our elementary school nurse, who really allowed my daughter a ton of independence last year (she basically just texted the nurse numbers and carb counts, rarely going to the actual office unless she was out of low snacks or something), confided in me that the middle school nurse is a bit of a controlling personality and she doesn't trust the kids to test or dose or do anything appropriate with their diabetes. Maybe she has just cause for feeling that way and has been burned before, I don't know. But, neither my daughter nor I have any desire for her to miss a bunch of class time or lunch time dosing in the nurse's office or sitting in the nurse's office waiting for a low to come up, nor do I want to start off on the wrong foot by demanding less face to face care. I'm hoping that this system will allow the nurse to let go a bit and just allow my daughter to "be". It comes with its own set of issues of course, for someone like a nurse who has probably never seen a dexcom before. Things like - lows don't register as rising right away, even if they are . . . stuff like that. I also am hoping she doesn't obsessively watch my daughter's graph because that would be a little creepy and could cause more problems if diabetes does what diabetes does and she has a freak high or freak low day. Lots to think about really.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Mine is 16 and I think we've missed the socially acceptable window on this, but if my dd was 10 I would seriously consider it. You are just on the brink of your DD likely not wanting some other parent to be checking her bg, or for her friends to see that she still needs a parent poking in on a sleepover. And you're also on the brink of a once responsive young kid turning into a preoccupied, otherwise to busy to be bothered, tween. '-) Just my 2 cents.

19. Adrian

Adrian Approved members

I find it even useful for myself during night. The Dexcom has static alarm thresholds, I oversleep the first vibrate (acoustic alarm 5 minutes later). On a rapidly falling bg this might be too late (also taking in account, that sensors react late after the first 7 or 10 days).

With the system, not only hear the alarm 5 minutes earlier, I also can have dynamic thresholds. My system also alarms me if it predicts a low e.g. is low in the "still ok" range but rapidly falling. Or: After going to bed after a meal, my bg might still rise a bit and just alarms if it rises too much and isn't below 120 3 hours later.

As I trust myself as you trust your daughter, I didn't want to spend that much money either for a system I just use at home. I ported the needed parts to run on a $35-microchip. It cost a bit more for some peripherals (pc-speaker, sd-card) but not much and it has no running costs apart from the little energy it needs (and the dex of course).
    This is how my nightstand looks like: http://up.picr.de/18783620az.jpg (Not that cool looking but functional. I later added a 4.3 inch screen that cost me $ 25).

I'm really, really glad to have this system. Before that, it was impossible to go to bed right after coming home from the gym or after a late dinner. Now: Yay, yay, *snore*!

Adrian

20. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

It would be very dangerous to solely depend on CGM in the Cloud to wake you. If you want to get alerted to the initial vibrate, a more reliable way to get that alert is to put the dex receiver on top of a mobile device and run this application (ISeismometer) available for all platforms (apple, android, Microsoft)

http://www.iseismometer.com/

There may be other "earthquake" apps that do the same thing, but I can tell you tha this one makes a sound you cannot ignore.

Knowing what the number is from anywhere is terrific, but making sure you hear an alarm is a completely distinct scenario and the less complex your system the better.