- advertisement -

I already miss the elementary school secretaries

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Aug 25, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia had middle school orientation today and we did some training.

I really like the principal and counselor and the lunch aides that will be available to help her carb count IF she needs assistance. Also the gym teacher.

The only problem I have is that I have a feeling we are going to have the total opposite experience with the school office staff than at elementary school. I had heard from another parent of a child with diabetes that a secretary at the old middle school refused to be trained on emergency glucagon. I never did hear how she handled that. Well I don't know if that secretary is now at this middle school but I think so. We went into the office and told them we had a meeting with the counselor and a few other people. One of themt told me to have a seat and she'd be out in a few minutes. The two aides who were to be trained on carb counting showed up and were talking to the secretaries who then started whispering. The counselor came out and said hi to us and then told the secretary it was time to come back to her office with the aides and us for glucagon training. Well the secretary started whispering to the counselor and I heard something that sounded very much like "I don't do that". After a few minutes of hushed whispering I heard the same thing repeated with the other secretary. After a minute or so another women popped out of a nearby office and started listening and I heard her say "I'll do it". Well that was the gym teacher who apparently was trained a few years ago for an older girl that we also know, now in the high school So we have the gym teacher and the two lunch aides who are only there for lunch times. I told the counselor we need someone else in case something happens outside of the lunch hour and the gym teacher is absent. She agreed and believes she knows someone who will be willing.

Lia will be doing most of the stuff on her own now with permission to text me in class if necessary (Phone is blocked for everyone else during the school day). But she may need to visit the office at times if she is having problems handling it herself. But who knows if these ladies will be any help at all. I want Mrs. M.and Mrs. C. back! These ladies just looked grumpy, not a smile among them. And I noticed this when I met with the counselor in the spring too.

Overall though Lia was happy with middle school orientation and I don't think she was getting what was going on with the secretaries as she was too busy paying attention to the older middle school girls hanging out in the office and the fish tank.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I know how frustrating this is, but put yourself in their shoes. It's not their job to give shots and they're well within their rights to refuse. If I didn't have a child with diabetes I'd be refusing it too. (then again, I once told my boss that I wasn't giving her sick kid, who had been dragged into the office for the day, cold medicine while boss was in a meeting) It's just a bit unfair to expect that school staff should be doing this. Or that there might be something wrong with these ladies for refusing, or that they're inherently unkind people. :( They simply don't want to handle emergency shots And really, you don't want someone being responsible for that task who doesn't want to do it.

Yes, someone has to do it. And I'm sad that you had such a good system at your old school and that Lia doesn't have that now. It's scary, and it's frustrating.

3. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

That would tweak me too.

I do agree its better that at least the secretary spoke up with her fears, that's better than her going along with it and then freezing up or something if ever needed.

Its too bad they didn't have that conversation privately and find willing replacements before you got there. Your discomfort could have been avoided if they'd gotten things straight amongst themselves first, ugh.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I do get that. But in the absence of any school nurses whatsoever in our district, someone has to do it. And the secretaries who do everything else medical related makes the most sense.

I know it doesn't really matter as long as someone does it. It was just the whole attitude which in two visits to that office now has never once elicited even the slightest of a smile and even their greetings in general seem rather sullen as if you are interrupting them (and neither time were they overrun with people or phone calls).

Oh well. Thankfully everyone else seems super nice and she is older and able to do more on her own.

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Yes, they can all refuse if they choose, it's their right to refuse.

In districts without nurses and everyone refusing; it's rough :(

Last school, the main contact person to give glucagon for L was my 8th grader (L's sister).

We haven't had the meeting for this year, and I hope the new school will have some staff who are willing help.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I'm sorry, that sucks! Have you mentioned that glucagon is to a T1 as the Epipen is to a kid with food allergies? And this isn't an every day thing or even a once a year thing - it is hopefully once in a lifetime to save a life :)