- advertisement -

Hypothyroidism in Type 1 Kids

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abbysdad, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Abbysdad

Abbysdad New Member

Hi all, My daughter has Type 1 since she was around 1 1/2 years old, now 6 she was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism which I understand is unfortunately common in females with type 1 diabetes. If anyone has experience with this issue, medications, and long term affects, I'd appreciate your feedback. I'm feeling like the longterm effects are creeping in much sooner than I ever expected, frankly I'm scared... Thanks

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

My daughter got it about three months after dx.
    I freaked also, but the endo told that about 30 percent of girls with diabetes get it.
    My daughter takes synthoid.
    You will have to have her get her blood tested alot to make sure levels are okay. It's okay, I promise!:cwds:

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'm 51, been at this nearly 40 years, no thyroid or any other issues with auto immune diseases. I only inherited diabetes and sight issues!

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just wanted to say hi and welcome. I'm a teenager with type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism and another condition which is probably autoimmune.

I was only diagnosed with hypothyroidism last month, so I'm no expert. :eek: But from what I've heard, when dosages are correct it's a lot easier to manage than T1. It's just a blood test every few months, and some people's med. dosages don't change at all.

The hardest thing for me so far has been finding a regular time of day which is consistently at least 3 hours after eating and 1 hour before eating, to take the meds. I'm on generic levothyroxine, but I've heard from some people that they find brand names to be more effective.

Also wanted to add that autoimmune thyroiditis isn't a long term effect of T1, per se - it's just a condition which tends to occur in the same people. The T1 doesn't actually cause the hypoT, it's a tendency for autoimmune conditions which causes them both.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Agreed, it's not a complication exactly, more of a correlation - people with one autoimmune disease are just at higher risk for having another (or several).

My CDE has told me that 60% of her T1 patients also have some kind of thyroid disease - not everyone ends up with Hashimoto's, some end up with Graves disease.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

A chart I read somewhere said (if I remember correctly) 28% of T1 people have hashimoto's. But it's uncommon in males, so I'm guessing that figure is more like 50-60% in females.

7. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

My friends' son just got hypothyroid age 10 six yrs after diagnosis. We met them at the hospital when both are sons were diagnosed six years ago. So it can happen in the little boys too. He has to get regular blood tests and takes a small dose of Synthroid everyday. It has only been 2 mths so don't know how it is working yet.

I have hypothyroid myself. If you take the meds each day you are normally fine. :) It still is terrible that your daughter had to get something else ontop of the diabetes. I am waiting as we speak for the phone to ring to see if my 10 yr old Type 1 diabetic has epilepsy. I am sitting on needles right now :(

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

My DD was dx'd with D at a year and half as well. She was dx'd with hypothyroidsim(sp) about 6months after that. They didn't put her on med right away for it b/c they didn't want to start her on synthroid too soon at the age of 2. She is now 6 and has been on Synthyroid for about 3 yrs. It is fine. She gets blood test for her thyroid levels every 6 months to see where her levels are and if the med needs to be adjusted. It will be fine.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

my non-D daugther has hashimotos, which I guess is also pretty normal (families with lots of different autoimmune issues). She's had ZERO trouble with the meds. ZERO. :)

10. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

My daughter was dx T1 and hypothyroid at the same time. She's been on sythroid since and no problems.

11. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

My son was dx'd with hypo about a year after his T1 dx. He takes the generic pill (levothyroxin) at night before bed. When I was dx'd 14 years ago, my endo told me that so long as I take the pill at the about the same time and under the same conditions every day, it doesn't matter if it's bedtime or morning, on a full stomach or empty stomach. Neither of us have had any issues due to the hypothyroid once we started treatment.

Your daughter will be fine, too :)

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

my daughter is also a night time taker. It's the only good time for her to have an empty stomach.

13. Abbysdad

Abbysdad New Member

Century Ride

Thanks again for all of your posts, will be riding Tour de Cure in New York next week and will be thinking of you all and our kids.

My best regards,
    Peter

14. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I have thyroiditis, Mutiple Sclerosis, and Celiac.
    My son has T1D and Celiac.
    My mom, sister, and maternal grandfather had thryoiditis.

We're quite "flush" with autoimmunde disorders in our gene pool.

As for the meds, issues, complications, etc: my take on thyroiditis is that it's quite a mild annoyance at most (for me.) I just take a tiny pill each morning, 30 minutes before I eat anything. Once a year, I get bloodwork done to test my TSH, which may result in an adjustment in the dosage.

There's nothing other than that for me. When my TSH levels are correct, I feel perfectly normal and have no issues whatsoever from it.

Oh, and my dad is a retired endo, and he always writes my Rx's for the brand name. Apparently, there have been questions about how the very small dosages are produced and the brand names have a better track record. Take that for what it's worth! (For me, the price difference is between $4 for the generic and $16 for the brand name.)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  15. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

2 daughters with D, one with Hashi's as well. She got D at 8, and then Hashi's 6 months later (we were told at dx that she had the antibodies for thyroid disease).
    I'm on the other side of the coin here. As soon as Zoe started taking the thyroid meds, she had uncontrolled lows. After one month of this, the doctor finally agreed that since nothing else had changed it was the Synthroid. She still has lows when her dosage is upped, and I've found that in general, she is much more sensitive to insulin with the thyroids meds than without. However, she has great energy, sleeps great, concentrates great, and seem overall much happier! So...we have a Dexcom to deal with the lows now!
    I know there is one other mom on here who has a daughter who had the same experience (extreme lows immediately after taking new meds). Just wanted you to watch out for it even though it's not the norm)

16. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Just like T1, hypothyroidism is a highly variable condition and what works for you may not work for others. The synthetic hormone doesn't absorb as well if you have a full stomach, though some of the research says you can eat within a half an hour, but I don't just to be on the safe side. Another thing that can affect your absorption of the hormone is caffeine. Your doctor might tell you one thing, but they aren't pharmacists and can't be expected to know everything about a drug. I'd talk to your pharmacist. Something else doctors either didn't know, or didn't think to tell me was that all the good cold medications, the one with psuedo-ephedrine are no-no's for us with thyroid disease.

It is a manageable condition, much more so than T1. Even with the complications I've had with mine (we've never been able to get my numbers within range) I'd gladly trade with my daughter any day. If I could deal with all the shots and testing and she only had to take a pill every day...I'd be a much happier momma...

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Oh dear, really? I've been on cold meds for a few days now, I'm not sure whether they have this in them, but what is the problem if they do? Will they just make the levothyroxine less effective or :confused:. I suppose I'll get googling. ;)

Also, I've been taking the thyroxine at 10AM every day. On weekends thats before my first meal, and 1hr before I eat, and on school days that's 3hrs after breakfast and 2hrs before lunch. Does that "count" as an empty stomach or should I be taking it before breakfast?

18. shekov

shekov Approved members

Emma, I think you are taking your meds perfectly. :)

I would give your pharmacist a call to check on the cold meds just to be sure. I have never heard of any drug interactions/problems with levothyroxine but better safe than sorry.

I have been hypo for almost 10 years. I was diagnosed after a second miscarriage. Since being on meds I have had NO complications, NO side affects and NO dosage changes even through 2 (successful) pregnancies.

I did have my dosage increased this past year but that is probably due to some weight gain.:eek::eek:

19. lisalotsamom

lisalotsamom Approved members

Tessa has a "trifecta" of autoimmune issues...JRA dx at 16 mos, then D at 18 mos. A year later, she was dx with Hypothryroid as well.
    Daily Synthroid, labs drawn every 6-12 mos.....no biggy :)

It's not even something I think about or worry about at all.

We're hoping and praying that Celiac doesn't join our family :(