- advertisement -

Hypothyroidisim

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 5kids4me, Sep 29, 2010.

1. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Yesterday our dr office called and said Josh needs to be on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. I have it also. The nurse said that many type 1 people also have or will have thyroid problems. Does anyone else on here have a child with both? I know I have not felt right since getting hypothyroidism even though my labs are good. I am worried Josh will be the same. Geez this kid has been through enough. When it rains, it pours.

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

There are SOOOOOOOOOOO many kids on this board that have this.

When I took my daughter to camp, all the counselors have TYPE 1, three out of the four in her bunk, had it as well....

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son is having bloodwork done this weekend, he has several symptoms, but some of those symptoms could also be other things as well who knows..guess we will soon. :(

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I have hypothyroidism as well. I haven't got my levels sorted out yet (I was dx'd in May, but I seem to fluctuate a bit weirdly :rolleyes:) but at least the treatment is a lot easier than for T1. I have an alarm set on my pump which reminds me to take the T4 every day, so I don't really have to think. :p

5. Ev'sMom

Ev'sMom Approved members

Yep my son does too!! He takes 50mcg synthroid daily! We found out the same time he was Dx'd in June 2010!

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Basically, once you have one autoimmune disease, others tend to pile on.

With T1Ds, many people also have Celiac Disease and/or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- that's why many practices run yearly screenings for these common AI issues.

(For example, I have Multiple Sclerosis, Hashi's, and Celiac, and my son has T1D and Celiac.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have thyroid dysfunction that doesn't seem to be autoimmune. I'm about to have an ultrasound.

Of women with type 1 diabetes, about 1 in 5 have an autoimmune thyroid disorder. It's less common in guys but still pretty common.

I once counted more than 60 people on this board who have hypothyroidism and type 1 or have a kid who does. If you want I could post a list.
    There are even more folks here who have one kid with T1 and another kid with thyroid stuff, or who themselves have thyroid disease and their kid has T1.

8. 5kids4me

Thank you for all of the responses. I don't think I was ever told if my hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's or not. Josh will start synthroid 50 mcg.

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

FYI - that's a low dose, which is either related to his size, or to the severity of his test results. Just know that they will want to (or should) do retests after a bit of time, just to see how he's adjusting and whether they need to raise or lower the amount of the synthetic hormone he's getting. (I've just gone up from 88mcg to 125mcg, three years after dx.)

Luckly, they are tiny pills! Were you given the instructions that you are to take them at the same time of day, 30 minutes to half an hour before eating?

Oh, and my dad's a retired endo and has always insisted I take the brand name rather than a generic for this med. I know there have been others who disagree, but I thought I'd pass along that info.

10. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Kathy has Hashi's too. She is on the 88mg pill - Levoxyl - and only takes half of it a day, so her dosage is very small. She gets bloodwork every three months so the endo can see how she's doing. So far no changes have been necessary in her treatment.

I know it sucks to have another diagnosis to deal with, but all in all, this one was pretty painless. Other than the fact it is for life, it's not that bad. Just have to make sure they take the medication daily.

11. 5kids4me

Yes I have been hypo for 7 years and when on synthroid I always take brand name. I can not stand it though, my symptoms never go away on it. I would rather be on armour and was until a shortage- but that is another story.

Josh will take it at the same time everyday. Either 1 hr before or 2 hrs after eating. I think bedtime will work best for him.

12. 5kids4me

I hope you are right. I have felt awful since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the meds do not make me feel better. I hope Josh just takes the medication and never has any problems

13. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

My son is T1 and has Hashimoto's. He was dx with both on 8/31/10. More tests for other AIs will be done in Nov. :(

14. 5kids4me

I'm very sorry:( I hope no other AIs are found-

15. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

My daughter has the thyroid autoantibodies, but is not receiving medication for it because her hormone levels are "in the normal range"... :(

16. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I was just dx with hypo or hashi's, haven't gone to the doctor yet.
    Just curious, what are your symptoms?
    You have symptoms that never go away?

I would love to hear from other adults also what symptoms you have?

Thanks!

17. KHM

KHM Approved members

Yep: T1, Celiac and Hashimoto's. It sucks, doesn't it?

18. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

My dughter was dx with hypothyroid this past March. She is on 25 mcg Levothyroxin.

19. 5kids4me

Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 7 years ago and was never told if it was from Hashimoto's or not. My levels were so high at diagnoses, it was beyond what the lab could read. Above 150. I couldn't sit down without falling asleep, my hands peeled and bled all the time, my hair would fall out, I gained almost 60lbs in 5 months-with no change in diet.

I haven't felt like myself since. On synthroid, my hair continues to fall out (it comes back and is all different lengths but not bald so that is good!) dry skin, being tired and "just don't feel good". The only time I was free of symptoms was when I was taking Armour thyroid medication. It is looked down on by many in the medical field and hard to find a dr to prescribe it. Now, i can not be on it because it is either backordered indefinitely or discontinued.:(

Josh has none of these symptoms but he had the thyroid antibodies when in the hospital after the t1 dx. They have checked his thyroid levels 2x since and he was around 8 for his tsh both times. If left untreated the nurse said it can cause learning delays so of course I want it corrected immediately. I hope he doesnt have problems like I have had. Some really can take the medication daily and have no problems. I think I am unusual in this.

20. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When I'm hypo, I get insanely tired and my mind feels foggy all the time. I also bruise really easily and seem to catch every illness that's going round. Before I started T4 replacement, I could easily sleep for 16 hours if I got the chance. I also lost my appetite a lot.. it got to the point that I was only eating 1 meal a day, sometimes 2, and my weight was still gradually increasing.

Like I said, my TSH varied up to 12.1 and was 4.96 when I started T4 replacement. They went a lot by my free T4 levels, rather than just using the TSH as an indicator.