- advertisement -

Hypothyroid/HAshimotos diagnosis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Katie'sMom, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

Katie was officially dx today with hypothyroid...elevated TSH and positive antibodies. They started her on levothyroxin 25 mcg.

I expected this but it just makes me so sad for my little girl to have something else to deal with, but I know she is not theonly one.

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

My 7 year old has it as well.
    She takes Synthoid.

3. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Yup - Kathy has it too. At least the Rx is generic, so it's cheap. And she only takes half a pill a day...for now. She does have to have bloodwork every 3 months so he can check levels, but she's used to that being on Depakote for seizures. She's always getting poked for something...

I agree it is a downer when there is "one more thing" to worry about. But all in all, it's not that bad to take care of.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yep, my daughter (my non-d child) has it as well. she was dx with it a few weeks before Ian was dx with diabetes. So almost 5 years she's had it. She's done very well and the meds are easy to take and easy to tolerate. I know it seems huge right now, but it will be ok. :) Promise. :)

5. shekov

shekov Approved members

Both my D brother and my non D self were dx with this in our 30s.

It is one more thing to think about but compared with the constant 24 hr a day D care.....hypo T is Nothing.

I have been on the same dosage through 2 pregnancies over the past 9 years.

Of all of the autoimmune diseases....this is the easy one. Take a pill, get your bloodwork done, and let it ride.

6. Toni

Toni Banned

DN also has this. Still on half a pill. I don't worry abouit this much as it seems easily controlled. Also upset that she has one more autoimmune disease. But it will be okay.

7. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

My daughter has/had it as well. She was on synthroid for maybe a year. Since then, her TSH levels have been normal while taking absolutely no medication. Makes me wonder if she was misdiagnosed.

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I know just waht you mean! A couple of months ago we found out dd needed glasses. Now I myself have been wearing glasses since I was 2 so it should've been no big deal. But it made me sad that Liz needed yet another attachment. then a couple of weeks ago they said her thyroid was large and go for bloodwork. Ay yi yi, what next?!?!? It's like the kid's falling apart one organ at a time! She ended up with positive antibodies but her thyroid hormone level was still normal. We test again in 6 months. but I know this is coming down the pike, so I'm ready for it.

I know it's no biggy, but some ppl have 10 kids and not a splinter among them. But I keep these feeling to myself and paste on a smile for my dd. And she looks really cute in her glasses. :cool:

9. Sari

Sari Approved members

oh I totally agree with you! I have 6 cousins plus one sister. All have had perfect kids. I remember telling my gyno that my luck I will have a kid who has something wrong since every child in our family is "perfect" (I use that term loosely!) I have 1 kid and he has Diabetes. It sometimes doesn't seem fair. I mean I just have 1, could he not have to have issues! Fortunately, he is perfect every other way! ;)

10. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

I'm sorry. That's rough to go through.
    I have Graves and am on Levothyroxin. When I was hyper, on PTU, I had all the symptoms from being both Hyper and Hypo - I should have lost a ton of weight. Instead I gained a ton. I then became alergic to PTU and chose to have my thyroid removed and go on Levothyroxin. My life became so much better once my levels normalized. It's crazy how much havok one little organ in your neck can play on your body.