advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothyroid & diabetes

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by Sweetkidmom, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

This has only occurred to me in retrospect, but is there a link between auto-immune illnesses in parents and in their offspring? I'm hypothyroid and my daughter is diabetic. Does having one auto-immune illness increase your chances of having more than one? Anyone know?

Thks
    Kay

2. maverickmom (Kerri)

maverickmom (Kerri) Approved members

From my understanding, yes. Not only are the odds increased but there are some that commonly occur together, such as thyroid and diabetes, celiac and diabetes and, rarely, addison's and diabetes. If you have more than 2 endocrine disorders, you have polyendocrine syndrome (there are different types depending on the particular mix of comorbid endocrine issues).

Also...autoimmune problems often run in families so yes, there appears to be a link between a parent having an autoimmune problem and the offspring having them as well. I have a friend with Lupus who has 8 children (6 bio and 2 adopted siblings). 2 of the 6 bio children have type 1 diabetes as well as one of the adopted children, and several of the 8 children have celiac. Definitely a hereditary link there...and possibly an environmental link as well.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  3. chappy

chappy New Member

Having either type 1 diabetes or hypothyroidism does increase your chance of getting the other since they are acquired via similar mechanisms. I haven't come across anything stating that autoimmune diseases are hereditary. I asked my doc about this at my last apt and he did confirm that there isn't any evidence indicating such a link, but I find it interesting that my mom has hypothyroidism, i am diabetic, and I have 2 sisters who had hyperthryoidism.

4. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's syndrome) which runs in the family. Quite a few females on my mom's side of the family have it.
    When Thomas was diagnosed his endo said that is probably where it stems from.

5. rkt1

rkt1 New Member

Both my daughter and I had the flu at the same time. Within 6mons I was a full blown Type 1 diabetic and 3yrs later we found my daughter to have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. My maternal aunt had RA and my maternal grandmother died of Alzhimers(sp?) I also now have RA and my daughter also now has PCOS.

We're waiting on genetic testing to come back, but it's believed we carry the same messed up genes.

6. mcgiggles

mcgiggles New Member

I am the mother of an 11 yr old daughter with T1 diabetes. I have hypothyroidism, her bio father has it too and also cancer. She has a very low IGA count and hypothyroidism so far.....the IGA wasn't investigated yet.......any thoughts on this.........?

7. Ginger9909

Ginger9909 Approved members

hyptothyroid & diabetes

Hi,
    I also find this interesting and read something about it in a book. I developed hashimotos (underactive thyroid) after my 2nd daughter was born. My mom & her sister also have an underactive thyroid. My 3rd daughter who is 21 months old just was diagnosed with diabetes. I do think there is some sort of connection going on. I know its probably normal to try to figure out why someone got this disease so I really believe the problem with the thyroid in my family had some kind of connection to this happening.

8. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

I was also diagnosed Hypo (Hashimoto's) when my son was about 14 months old. I have had my 2 daughters since then. My son was just recently diagnosed Type 1 at age 5 1/2. Six weeks after his diabetes diagnosis, he was diagosed Hypothyroid as well. My husband's mother (deceased) was also Hypo. I really do believe there is a genetic link.

9. Boo

Boo Approved members

Yep, I have an underactive thyroid as well (along with my mother and sister). I have 3 sons, the oldest of which was diagnosed as Type 1 two years ago.

10. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

My 2 yo son is Type 1 diabetic since he was 7 months old. I don't have any illnesses nor does my partner. (at least none that we are aware of!!!)
    However, my sister has lupus, my aunt has scleraderma, both my parents have Hypothyroidism, as does my MIL.

I don't care what doctors tell me. A genetic connection between them all is screaming out at me.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid and Graves disease as a pre-teen and had my thyroid removed at the time. Both hyper and hypo thyroid runs in our family (hyper is more common). So does type 2 diabetes. William is the first with type 1.

12. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

We have Lupus, Graves, and T1. I asked the doc about this, and he said that it is a factor.

13. sharon c

sharon c Approved members

this does explain things, i did not even know i was suffering from under active thyroid for years, just always felt tired and yukky, docs thought i was a hypocondriac, then my daughter was diagnosed with diabetes and they did tests on her and she has under active thyroid so they tested her sister - who was clear, and decided to test me and i did not for one minute think it would show anything, but it came back severely under active, so after taking tablets for a few months now i feel heaps better than i have in years and don't seem to be getting all the infections and colds i got before either.

14. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

There's a link with other autoimmune diseases but I think especially thyroid (thyroid and pancreas are both endocrine glands). No type I in my family but I have two siblings with hyperactive thyroid and my mom was diagnosed a few years ago with hypoactive thyroid. My son Aaron has only had D for a year and a half and already has an enlarged thyroid. His thyroid function is still normal but it looks like probably not for long...

15. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I've read that there is a genetic link with autoimmune diseases, but environment also factors in (how exactly is unknown). We have *no one* on either side of our families who has any type of autoimmune disease. I'm sure someone, somewhere had to have been afflicted, but for now it appears to be random to us. :confused:

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We have a lot of hypothyroid my IL's and coincidentally my daughter was dx with hypothyroid 2 weeks before my son was dx with D. Later we discovered it was Hashimotos, which is autoimmune. In my own family, we have psoriasis and alopecia both of which are autoimmune. (that's my mom and my daughter for the psoriasis and alopecia for me) so the fact that so many of us see all these autoimmune issues makes me think there really is some connection.

17. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Andie-- unfortunately as the phrase goes, "it has to start somewhere." Wish for you and all who don't have any family history, that it didn't have to be you.

I completely agree though as far as SOME part of it being genetic. I am T1 and have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroid), my oldest dd is T1, both my dad's parents were D (his dad T1 died at age 36 due to 20 years of little to no self-care, his mom T2), his sister-- not sure what type, I think she must fall under a T1.5 (or LADA). I have a second cousin (dad's side again) with T1, and my mom's mom has T2. I keep waiting for SOME autoimmune disorder to show up in our younger dd.

18. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Link between thyroid disorders & Diabetes

In April of '03 I had the flu, and at this time my thyroid became enlarged. 5 months later I was pregnant w/ my daughter. Throughout my entire pregnancy with her, I had abnormal amounts of sugar in my urine. I went through all 3 tests for gestational diabetes, but I was not diagnosed. When my daughter was 23 months old she was diagnosed with T1 Diabetes. Two years ago I had to have my thyroid removed because it was getting larger & was wrapping around my trachea, making it hard to breathe at times. I think there must be a link...

Melissa

Mom to Benjamin-9, Nathan-8, Lillian-4 (DX'd 5/10/04) pumping w/ MM since 8/05

19. Mom C

Mom C Approved members

I have an under active thyroid and I found out about this when Madison was born. Also 2 aunts on my husbands side have this as well.

20. MLH

MLH Approved members

genetic link

I too developed hypothyroidism after my daughter was born. She has type 1 (age 5) and hypothyroid (age 8). My neighbor's hubby has type 1, their daughter has type 1 and celiac.

You can't tell me there is not a genetic link!