- advertisement -

hybrid cars and pumps...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by frizzyrazzy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Has anyone heard of any research on if the emf's in hybrid cars are enough to disturb a pump???? I don't know much about the talk of strong magnetic fields and if that's scaremedicine hype or not in these cars but if there ARE strong fields could they hurt a pump?

2. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Am I the only one who read emf and thought of EMF the british indie dance band who brought us "Unbelievable". Please tell me I'm not.

I don't know the answer to your question. But it is a good question! :D

3. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I have no idea who that is, sorry.:eek:

And no answer to the ?
    Allene

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We've had a hybrid for 2 years and Emma has had her pump for almost 10 months and ridden in the car a lot without any problems

5. haileysmom

haileysmom Approved members

i have never heard of this before now. hailey has an animas pump and my husband drives a civic hybrid...we have taken it on some lonnnng car rides and have never had any trouble, so i guess not.

6. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

My guess would be no but but I'm not an expert on the subject plus it all depends on what your definition of a strong emf is. I would assume with the large battery pack in a hybrid plus the electric motors powering the vehicle that the emf in a hybrid would be more than in a modern gasoline powered car but I would doubt it's enough to have an effect because if it was, not only would it mess with an insulin pump but possibly any other electronic healthcare device. With that in mind I would imagine auto makers would have addressed that issue by shielding the drivers compartment provided there was a strong enough emf to worry about in the first place.

I have both an arc welder and a wire feed welder in my garage that Justin messes with from time to time and both can produce a significant emf when in use but it's had no effect on his pump and it's still nothing compared to the emf that an MRI unit in a hospital produces.

7. Nova

Nova Approved members

Haha! Me too!!!!! Now I have that song stuck in my head. :p

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  8. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

We drive a Prius and Jenny spent a lot of time in the car, we never had an issue with it.

9. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex drives MY Prius almost daily and hasn't had a problem with it.

(That will be one good thing about him going so far away to college...I will have my prius all to myself...except when dh decides he needs it.)

10. mlbertness

mlbertness Approved members

wow I had never even thought of that before, it is really interesting to see all the things people think of on here! We have had issues with metal detectors a couple times (we think) the pump died each time she forgot it when she went through a detector within a week. I NEVER would have thought of that!

11. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Just another Prius driver with no pump problems. Griffin has been in it daily for 1.5 years.

Kirsten

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I don't know anything about hybrids myself either, but I read something in passing about magnetic fields and pacemakers and I wondered if anyone had checked into this more. I figured there HAD to be a few of you using hybrids with pumps with no trouble. So I was just seeing if anyone knew. :) Thanks for the info. :)