- advertisement -

Human papilloma vaccine HPV

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Hi. My daughter is now in grade 5 and the school is offering the HPV for prevention of cervical cancer (I think it is called giardia). I am nervous about letting her have it and nervous about 'not' letting her have it. Does anyone of experience/knowledge of this vaccine and whether it is a good idea at 10 years of age? Long term risks associated with this vaccine, side effects in general, as well as side effects for a D-child?

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Assume you mean Gardasil, but I don't have any special knowledge or experience with it (I believe that there are 2 HPV vaccines).

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

None of my girls (22,17,12) have had it.. I don't think it is well enough researched yet, and I really dislike the way vaccines are pushed through schools making our kids not want to the 'odd ones out' by not getting it when all their friends are. I don't know about side effects ...

4. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

my daughter and I are discussing this,. She doenst have D. However, Im leaning to have her get it because, heaven forbid if I can prevent any cancer in her, I will. The other thing is, you have to get this BEFORE you become sexually active. She is 15 1/2. I had sex when I was 16. And, unfortunately, with many partners before I met the kids dad. Gardasil is like a 3 shot series they have to get.

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I would personally vaccinate my kids against anything that could prevent cancer. I'd like to think any side effect is still much better than possibly getting cancer.,, Espcially since HPV is on the rise and it seems to be a pretty common thing nowadays unfortunately.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

My oldest is 16 and hasn't had it yet. I don't believe its been researched enough and the side effects scare me, and there are also reputed doctors who were involved with development says what they prevent is so little, and in most cases, hpv resolves itself without developing into cancer. So far, the little teeny benefits to me don't outweigh the potential down sides. I think I would feel different if it was an airborne communicable disease, but since that's not what we're talking about, I'm not there yet.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I really have to do more research on it. My friend is a ARNP and has given me some good info, but I am concerned with side effects. From what I understand, the shot itself is incredibly painful, my friend always has the girls lay down when giving it because she has had kids faint (and sometimes vomit) from it.

My daughters are 12, we still have a bit of time to really think about it.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Done. No biggie. Though I'll be happier when it's given to teen boys as well as girls.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

There is a big push up here to vaccinate equally. Now when we get fliers about it from our provider, it has boys listed to and the pros of doing it.

10. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I had it. No side effects, it wasn't anymore painful than any other vaccine and I didn't faint. ;)

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Done in both girls when they turned 15. No problems. HPV is literally everywhere. It causes cancer. Prior to a person is sexually active, they should be vaccinated.

12. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My reason for getting DD the shots was to protect against genital warts. I worked with a girl that got them after just 1 mistake on a drunken night with a hunkie bartender.

"In girls and young women ages 9 to 26, GARDASIL helps protect against 2 types of HPV that cause about 75% of cervical cancer cases, and 2 more types that cause about 90% of genital warts cases"

http://www.gardasil.com/

DD had no side effects at all with the shots and they were not painful.

13. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

DD got it when she was 15 (as soon as it was available in 2007). No side effects and I'm thrilled she's protected from a virus that is so prevalent and can do so much damage unbeknownst to the the carrier! I'm happy to hear that there is a push for boys to be inoculated as well!

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I had it. No real side effects and it didn't hurt much at all. It was years ago but I seem to remember it aching less afterwards than a flu shot

I go back and forth on the issue, but HPV is everywhere now and honestly, overall I am glad I had it.

15. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter had them. I remember her arm being sore for a day or so but nothing major. I've had HPV, abnormal paps and all the crap you have to go through to monitor etc so she got it as soon as it was available.

It's not perfect but it's a start.

16. swellman

swellman Approved members

Our pediatrician supports and vaccinates her male patients starting around 13 or 14. We will probably get it next year.

17. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I had all 3 and while they burned a bit, similar to a large dose of Lantus, and my arm was achy the next day like many other vaccines, it wasn't "incredibly painful" by any means. I gave this vaccine many times during a women's health clinical and never had anyone pass out or vomit.

18. Mom2Av

Mom2Av Approved members

My son's pediatrician brought it up @ his 12 year old check. I am considering it, but haven't totally decided yet. If I vaccinate him, will also vaccinate his younger sister when it's time.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

She actually just got the last one at the Dr this afternoon. She said it was about the same as the flu shot. ;)

ETA, I'm really glad that Drs are talking about this with the parents of boys, too. And that some, hopefully many, are considering it.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

It is, Seth just got it...If I had a daughter, she would get it too...