- advertisement -

Humalog vs Novolog for pumping

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Nov 22, 2013.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

While looking around I found this in the t:slim user guide:

The cartridge is indicated as a reservoir for the delivery of
    rapid-acting insulin with the t:slim Pump.
    Humalog and NovoLog have been tested by Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc. and found to be safe for use in the t:slim Pump.

Humalog was tested for up to 48 hours as labeled, NovoLog was
    tested for up to 72 hours.

Ok, so does that really mean that Novolog is "better" than humalog for pumping? My assumption is that it is more heat resistant or something?

I have used Humalog for over a decade, but would it be worth investigating the use of Novolog instead to better last a full three days without the absolute need for a site change (note: I understand that there may be other reasons for needing to change a site more frequently than 3 days, but that's not what I'm talking about)...

However I was actually hoping to be able to use the same 300unit filled reservoir for a week or more and just change the infusion set... but 3 days is really all I'm talking about now.

Or is it possible that it'd be fine anyway and that's just all it was "tested" for? I mean I leave my humalog pen out for over a month and don't find it to lose its efficacy (granted, it's not strapped to my hot body the whole time either).

Thanks

2. chalke43

chalke43 Approved members

We've had the t-slim for a couple months now. We usually change the site every 3-4 days. I think once we stretched it to 5 but that was an accident. At first we were switching out the cartridge at every site change as well, but recently we've been filling up the cartridge with more insulin and waiting to change out the cartridge and tubing. We've used Humalog for up to 10 days with no problems, however, I think a lot of it comes down to body chemistry. I'm sure outside temperature plays a part too, but we haven't used the t-slim in extremely hot weather yet to see how that would play out.

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ok. That sounds very reassuring.

I expected the insulin to last at least three days in the cartridge (but was worried after reading what I posted)... hoped for 6 (assuming site change every three days or so, so it'd be easy to keep track of) and while 10 would be nice, I'll prolly mostly keep it to 6 or 7... but will probably not be able to help "testing" it a couple times for 9 days to see how well it keeps.

Problem is, it IS quite warm where I am (currently 74F... which is quite cool for us)... and my body temp is generally on the warm side as well, so I really doubt I'd ever get 9-10 days out of a cartridge... but that's ok.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and how are you liking the t:slim so far? Would you recommend it? Have you used a pump before? Also, if it is your very first time pumping (which it might not be) is it "better" than multiple shots?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We will have to switch to Humalog once our 90 day supply of Novolog runs out because of insurance. I am super curious as to why Humalog was only tested for 48 hours and Novolog was tested for 72. Is it only approved for 48 in the cartridges then? I'm going to have to call and ask. Site/Cartridge failures are the last thing we need. We've used Novolog very successfully for longer than 72 in a cartridge. We put about 4-5 days worth in at a time.

5. chalke43

chalke43 Approved members

We really like the T-Slim. I can't think of a single problem that we've had so far. Just a few small things due to being new to pumping - a couple ripped out sites for example. Diagnosed January, started pumping October. Going from MDI to the pump was a huge relief for us, allowing a lot more freedom to snack without having to administer another shot - that was a big problem for us before. We have also liked the extended bolus feature, to better combat pizza and other problematic foods. We have had no occlusions, no failures, and no problem with insulin degrading in the cartridge so far. One slightly infected site (with an Inset 30) but that cleared right up. We like the Insets better.

I would say that we normally try to fill the cartridge for 6 or 9 days. However, since we went from pens to the pump, we had no prior experience with syringes so that has taken some getting used to for us when filling the cartridge - we've had a few surprises where we ended up with a lot more or less insulin than we thought.

I don't love the way you set up basals in the pump. Its not difficult, I just find it slightly annoying. We have 4 basal levels set, and it has really helped us avoid the afternoon lows and early morning highs that we had been seeing on MDI. We're still perfecting those.