- advertisement -

Humalog and Novolog differences?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Mar 23, 2015.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I know this has been discussed before, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with one working better than the other for their child? I've always thought that they were supposed to be basically the same, but some of the things I've seen with my daughters numbers lately are making me question that.

We've used humalog since dx. Around this past Dec-Jan, we were having a hard time with highs (while on humalog). Constantly increasing basals, running temp basal increases, site changes less than 48 hours apart just to try to stay on top of it. We also moved at the end of Nov., so i thought maybe the stress of starting a new school, excitement about Christmas, and things in general being crazy were contributing to her numbers being wacky. Insurance only covered Novolog after Jan., so we ended up switching to that mid-Jan, and it seemed like things had finally settled down with her numbers. We were even starting to forget when the last site change happened bc things were going so smoothly.

Now we are on an insurance plan that covers humalog. In the past 2 weeks that we have been using this new vial of humalog, the craziness seems to be creeping back in. She seems to be running high more often than not. We see the endo on thursday, I'm wondering if I should get a script for novolog and try to appeal to insurance to have it covered. Any thoughts on this? I swear I saw a post recently about humalog causing more issues with sites for someone but I can't seem to find it now.

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

It's interesting that you posted this just now because there is a discussion in the tSlim facebook page about this. I hadn't known it but for the tSlim pump they only approve Humalog for 2 days, Novalog for 3. There are a couple of people having issues with H and have recently called Tandem and also spotted this info in the user guide. I know you are using Animas, but if your endo writes medical necessity based on your experience I am sure you will be able to get changed back to Novalog.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I just talked to tandem and humalog was only TESTED for 2 days because humalog is only approved for 2 days in a pump. Novalog was tested 3 days because that's what it's approved for. We are now being told to switch to humalog by the insurance. Going to do some more research.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We use Humalog in the t:slim for three days and have ever since she started on the pump. No issues whatsoever. Of course, we're on our last month of Humalog because our insurance has decided to only cover Novalog. You can't win!

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Seriously, the whole thing is comical!

We use Humalog in t:slim for 3+ days (sites get changed every 2 but cartridge/tubing when it runs low, usually 4 days) and have no issues. We do notice some bubbles as the cartridge gets close to empty and if we get an occlusion alarm (rare) it's always on the third day or later.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Important information about using Humalog in an external insulin pump

Humalog should not be diluted or mixed with any other insulin when used in an external insulin pump. Change reservoir at least every 7 days. Change the infusion set and insertion site at least every 3 days."

From http://www.insidehumalog.com/Pages/type1-insulin-pump.aspx

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I routinely go 7 days with humalog in a cartridge without any issues. I would go 10-14 days with the medtronic reservoirs but I can't get 2 weeks of insulin in the tslim cartridge.

On the insurance issue; in the past two years I have gone from using novolog to humalog to using apidra and then back to humalog in order to get the cheapest copay (and now humalog is the only fast acting insulin that is covered). I actually like humalog the best of all three. In other news, for my asthma, our prescription insurance has had me switch from advair to symbicort to dulera since 2013. And I just went to fill a prescription last week and apparently it has been decided that it is time to switch back to advair! I actually find it quite entertaining but I imagine if I could not use the meds interchangeably I would be frustrated.

8. susanlindstrom16

thanks guys for the info. So do most people feel then that they do not have to make adjustments when changing the brand of insulin?

9. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I feel like tandem gave me a complete runaround on the phone today when they insisted humalog was only approved for 2 days.

On another note, our insurance company sent us a letter saying both humalog and novolog are approved but they prefer humalog because it's cheaper. Then a chart showed a cost breakdown of both drugs and humalog is a whopping 50 CENTS CHEAPER per vial. Really? That's what the fuss was about. I had the dr call back in the novolog Rx. Sheesh. We are dealing with another autoimmune disease diagnosis (Addisons) and I don't want to mess with humalog if we don't have to. We've already been dealing with prednisone and puberty.

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW I had better results with Novolog over Humolog. I had a smoother curve and I had more crystallization issues and site reaction issues with Humolog. I believe it really varies from body to body. I am an adult, T1 for years so trust my assessment of how the two insulins worked with me. I now use Apidra, but really had a great improvement when I switched from Humolog to Novolog. My Endo was the one who suggested I switch from Humolog to Novolg.

11. susanlindstrom16

When you had crystallization, was it in the cartridge or tubing? I noticed some white spots in my daughters tubing when i changed it this morning. Her numbers have actually been fine though so I'm just curious.

Yeah the insurance thing is totally nuts. Why should they get to prefer which brand we use anyway.

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

In the cannula. It was worse with the teflon, I use steel sets now. The white spots I get on my tubing are just from the tubing bending. Ali

13. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We routinely put 300u of Humalog in our t:slim cartridge and get 8-9 days out of it before it runs out and we have to fill a new cartridge.