- advertisement -

Huh? It has been shipped? <blink blink> I didn't even know I ordered?!?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Nov 26, 2013.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Got a call on my answering today from the pump distributor.

Said that my shipment has gone out today. Um... as far as I know I didn't give confirmation that I was ordering.

If it is indeed the pump itself and/or the supplies... it has actually worked out perfectly as I was indeed going to order it anyway, but was dragging my feet... and if it is the pump, then it'd arrive just in time for my sister to bring it to me when she comes down for New Years. However, had I flip flopped and decided "naaaaaah" I'm good with multiple shots" instead... what would they have done?

What I am actually puzzled about is that I never gave them a credit card number. How/why would they send out something without having that on file first? Very puzzled on this one.

I do know that in one of my emails to the rep I requested if it were possible to also get some samples of different infusion sets, but I never heard back from them... do you think that that is all that they shipped out? The infusion set samples? :confused:

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I would call the distributor asking what exactly was shipped out and what the copay, if there is one, you can be expecting.

I've never heard of a distributor sending supplies out, without a credit card on file, unless you have a 0% copay at the moment.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'd call and see what it is. I've had this happen before (not pump supplies). Basically the company mistyped the phone number for another customer into their computer (or the custormer did). But the phone # they mistyped was my cell phone number. I called them up and told them of the mistake. They removed my cell number from their computer and i haven't heard back from them.

4. GChick

GChick Approved members

nah... cus it was my rep.. and they gave the address in the message that I had given them for my sisters house.

5. GChick

GChick Approved members

The guy I talked to last asked that if I wanted to proceed, I could just give him my CC # and he'd get the ball rolling... I told him I'd wait just a little bit till I had all my info together, and that I'd send him my American Address via email. Apparently once they had the address that got them to working on it for some reason.

They had indeed discussed copays the last time I talked to them. I have a 20% copay which is why I wanted to at least think about a bit to be sure I could handle it. I have decided I could, and was gonna get the process started today... and then... I got that message. <shrug>

6. GChick

GChick Approved members

I have confirmed via email that the pump and supplies have been shipped out :eek:

I have also confirmed that as of this morning, my CC has had no charges (though they never had a number so that was expected).

This is just weird. Still scratching my head on this one. Oh well, I consider myself lucky that the company I had (in my mind) chosen did this instead of the other two... Can you imagine if I had THREE pumps on the way to me?

I guess I'll just have to prepare myself for when someone notices and I have to then make those payments. Maybe it just got lost in the shuffle?

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

After it goes through insurance, you'll get an invoice. I've never paid up front for anything.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

What pump is it? I'm really curious which one you choose.

9. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah... see.. that's what I was wondering, if it was fairly normal and that insurance would be billed and then they'd in turn bill me...

I guess somehow communication between me and the distributor just got messed up and they made some "assumptions", but why ask for a CC# if they didn't need one?

Ah well. Right now I'm considering it to be an "error in my favor"... not because of the $$ issue (one way or another I assume that will clear itself up), but just cus the process that I would have ended up going with, got started a little bit before I knew I was ready.

10. GChick

GChick Approved members

I got the t:slim.

I know one of the things you were worried about was how quickly I could get a replacement from some of the newbie companies springing up, and they stressed that there would be a definite 24 hr. or less turn around. While I'm not sure how that'd work in my situation, I've never done "horribly" on shots, so as long as I remember what I used to do (plan to write it down somewhere) if I had to go on shots again for a few days, I'd be fine.

-I liked the idea of the rechargeable battery (one thing that many who wouldn't choose a t:slim actually hate). I rather know that all I have to do is plug it into the wall or my computer at work and I'll be good to go in a few (exaggerated) minutes. Replacing batteries every few weeks etc, seems to be a hassle (which also got asante snap some points... but not enough). Also I'm investigating the idea of a "solar charger" for it which would be nice inf the event of a super long power outage or vacation etc.

-I liked the fact that it in no way resembles a medical device (well... y'know, until you got this plastic tubing coming from it anyway, so maybe that's a wash).

-The "profiles" option of it seems like it might make it easier than what I've seen described for other pumps... and beyond that, looks really easy to learn and seems as if it'd be "faster" to deliver boluses etc than some of the others... there are arguments to the contrary, and are valid... but how I work I think it "seems" to work more like I do. (however priming etc, does appear to be more of a pain/take longer than other pumps)

-The t-connect thing looks good.

All in all my opinion is useless until I get the thing. Depending on how hard I try to source out training, yall can expect a TONNE of newbie questions when I have it in hand. :D

11. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

If you do end up needing a replacement or assistance or anything while overseas, let me know how it goes. I recently ordered mine as well, and am curious how well they will be able to deal with unusual situations. I am less worried about being able to get a 24 hour turn around time for replacement than most people, but I do hope they can work with us.

12. GChick

GChick Approved members

Hey... same to you! :)

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about an exact 24 hr replacement either... just as long as I get it without hassle, eventually (although maybe I just don't realize yet how "awesome" a pump is?).

13. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Congratualtions on your new t:slim!

14. GChick

GChick Approved members

Thanks. I wont actually get to try it out until the New Year or right before. Had it shipped to my Sister's and she will be bringing it when she comes down for New Years.

Will be picking all of yalls brains when I finally try to get started.

I really ~need~ to like it at least slightly more than MDI by the third or fourth month (understanding it will probably be a frustrating transition at first) or else the disappointment will be very bad (moreso due to the $$ invested than the actual "emotional" factor).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  15. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

When I first got a Guardian in 2008, I was kinda confused because I thought I was just talking to medtronic about "maybe" and they sent it in the mail and then billed me.
    For subsequent orders however, they wanted to receive payment before shipping, and as I did not have a credit card or debit card at the time and they were not at all good about processing my checks promptly (as in, in under a month) my frustration with dealing with minimed financially was a part of why I went with Dexcom when I decided I needed a new CGM in 2010.

I was wary, but they did not send me a pump too early when I called to talk about the 530 G a few months ago and only after I confirmed the order did they ship it last week. :cwds:

Oh- and all the companies will let you send it back for a refund if you're quick enough (T-Slim didn't at first but does now).

16. GChick

GChick Approved members

Possibly should have started a new thread, but figured I'd put it where it semi-started.

Got a call from Tandem about training a while back, but due to my particular situation of not being located in the US we had to figure out something different. So I asked about Skype Training and the lady said that they do do Skype training, but it is generally only utilized for people switching from one pump to theirs (IOW: already have a good understanding of the concepts of pumping).

So she said she'd see what she could work out and came back with a series of "Pump Assessment Questions" that she'd have to go through with me prior to being given the "OK" from "upper management" to go ahead with the Skype Training.

I think I did OK as far as that I "understand" the general concepts well enough... but I might have "failed" (not really) on two questions.

"How often do you test for Ketones?"
    -Um... not since I was a kid.

"When was your last Diabetes Education Class."
    -Yep, never had such a thing either.

Edjumacated I am not. :D

Hopefully she can convince them that I do "get" it though, and all will work out.

Failing that, she even mentioned that she has a sister who lives where I do and was coming to visit her, and if all else fails maybe we can arrange something that way (would hate to mess up her vacation with work though).

17. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'd recommend taking the Type 1 University classes and if you want more help than that, to sign up for pump start help with Integrated Diabetes. We took the classes four months after beginning to pump, and learning all their tips and tricks have made life with D so much easier for us.

http://www.type1university.com

http://www.integrateddiabetes.com