- advertisement -

How would you feel about this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2CNC, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

My 8yo T1 received a sign-up notice for a new after school program, a mini-chef's course. This was run by an outside vendor, not the actual school (the school does run other after school programs my daughter attends) She was thrilled because she loves to cook, so I called the owner to sign up & give the heads up about her being T1.

To make a long story short, the owner does not want my daughter to sign up. She made several excuses having to do with liability.

How would you feel in this situation? Do you think this is discrimination?

Has your T1 even been denied access to a program like this before?

I realize it is a private company and they can turn away anyone they want but the school district has to approve the courses offered at the school.

Our public school is fabulous in every other way. They take great care of my daughter and she has never been turned away or denied anything sponsored by the school. I am thinking the Principal should be told about the situation but I am wondering if this happens more often than not and I just haven't run in to it yet.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, of course the principal should be told. There is no reason for any child should be excluded. They actually don't have the right to discriminate even if it's a private company. Obviously someone misunderstood what it is to be type 1. What reason did they give? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

Fill in the forms, send them in and call the principal to explain that you ran into a bit of an issue and discuss how the two of you will resolve it. If the school has been supportive to date then the principal will likely realize the mistake and actual legal liability the cooking school person has put them in.

Generally with things like this there is no point in disclosing at enrollment. I assume you weren't asking the cooking teacher to do any D care and the question of how to manage the carbs is something you and your daughter could have worked out on your own.

Good luck.

3. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

^^^ What she said. :)

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Just curious, is this through your towns rec dept?
    All our after school, in school programs are managed by the rec, even if its put on by an outside vendor.

My kids did a cooking program after school for years and we never encountered a problem. We did have to disclose medical conditions and allergies, but this was because it's the standard form for the myrecdept.org (who runs the registration online). I spoke to the teacher and told her what to look for. My daughter stopped in at the nurse prior to going to the class, checked her BG and called me. If I was concerned with the number, I'd have her have a free snack. All food made was packaged and brought home, with only a taste usually allowed.

I would fill out the forms and alert the principal. As Sarah said, he needs to be aware of the liability that this just opened them up to. If this was advertised through the school (ie. brochure coming home) it means it's school sponsored. She cannot be denied access to the program.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think this is a bit more complex situation because it is a "food" oriented activity.

She is 8, so I am wondering what tasks are you asking/ecpexting the vendor to be able to do? and what tasks are you asking/expecting the school to do?

how much lead time is there before these classes start?

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

They probably cannot turn away anyone they want. Generally if the program is being run in the school as an afterschool program, even if it's an outside vendor, they are bound by the same laws that govern all after school programs.

Like Sarah said, I would just fill out the forms, and let the principal know what happened.

7. Wren

Wren Approved members

Just because it's a private company doesn't mean they can turn away kids w/ D. Kindercare, for example, is a private company that does not have to provide 504 plans (under Section 504) or IEPs (under IDEA) but must accept kids under ADA.
    http://www.ada.gov/kinder1.htm

I wonder what they do with all of the food allergies and intolerances they must deal with? Those must be inconvenient and involve some liability.