- advertisement -

How we had a great day at waterpark

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Marcia, May 29, 2011.

1. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Just as the title says-

Got up and had a good breakfast. Site was in abdomen (so it wouldn't get knocked off) and covered with tegaderm HP and picture framed with waterproof tape.
    Packed high carb and high protein snacks.
    Packed ziplock baggies to store pump in and alcohol wipes to clean off connection when reattaching pump.Hand sanitizer for hands.
    Put a cold pack wrapped in a washcloth in the D bag to keep the pump cool in the really warm locker.
    Set a 50% basal for the day.
    Arrived at the park 2 hours later and checked BG (115) no IOB so Ab had a 15gm uncovered snack. We disconnected pump and hopped in the water.
    Checked BG about every hour,if it started to climb I would bolus for missed basal, but we only had to do that once over the course of 8 hours because of all the activity. If BG was around 100, then another 15 gm uncovered snack.
    To handle a possible low while waiting in line, a friend with a velco pocket held a bottle of glucoburst (only 2 oz for 15 gm) for Ab.
    A great day!
    Now, for night time-
    Went to bed at 179 and I did not correct because I expected her to drop after a busy day. During the night Ab went from 179 to 100 2 hours later and 52 :eek: 4 hours later. Set an 80% basal and did well until waking, had to keep the lower temp basal going all day today.
    I hope our experience helps, maybe you can add your ideas.

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

3. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Thank you for the insight!
    Water Park question here:
    This will be our first summer with type 1. Question here for anyone who can answer it- we went to the pool today just for a couple hours. I could have brought the cooler, and did not because we weren't bringing insulin (just ate and only staying a couple hours, only two blocks walk away to home base w/ insulin) and I noticed the bg meter showed a thermometer symbol on it- meaning it was too hot. So now I know they meters have to be regulated for temperature too- I had no clue! No problem there for pool or beach, I will bring a cooler for from now on. So my question is, how do you check bg at a water park? Do you have to go back to the locker every time? Those can be aways away at a big park. Do you carry it along in a small cooler in a ziploc? I guess a frio in a fanny pack would work eh (dorky?) What do you guys do? We dont go to water parks much, but probably a few times a summer I guess. My son likes the crazy wild rides/ mile high chutes so it would need to be something small and easy to carry without a long string or strap. I would be happy to tag along with him and hold stuff but I dont think I can keep up with him and his buds at a waterpark (also dorky having mom chase you around). Going around with no meter/snacks is not an option. Maybe a teenager could answer this one.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is great! So glad you had a good day.

Just wanted to chime in that for us, we have to replace basal every 1.5 hours or so, regardless of what BG is doing. Much longer than that, and Jack starts getting ketones. So we have a lot of uncovered snacks along with the (usually 50%) basal replacement.

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I have no idea why not, but for us Ab rarely gets ketones. Good for others to know.

6. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Just so you are aware the meters are affected by cold temperatures too. You could take the meter/pack and roll it into your towel and tuck it somewhere near where you are hanging out at the pool as your base. Jus keep it out od direct sunlight.

We have never in 6.5 years needed to bring a cooler especially not for the meter, on day trips like this. And in the winter tucking it under your arm pit for a few minutes will warm it up quickly.

7. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Yeah that would work! Thanks! We did take the meter sledding and it was fine, insulin too because it was close to body heat. So it was just right.

8. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Out of curiousity:) ,did you also give juice/etc. for the 52 or just lower the temp basal?

9. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Yep...after a day in the water we always see a major drop in the middle of the night. Makes no sense, but it always happens.

Great job!

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

For those that CGM.

last year I "vacume packed" her Dexcom. I did not let it suck out all the air, and just sealed it and tested it in the sink under a pan.

It worked out great!

For my dd, since she is not that adventureouse yet e=we ran a temp basal and just fed the insulin/activity with "water Park treats"

CAN WE SAY SLURPEE!!!

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I also see this at home when she is outside allday in the yard or our blowup waterslide/pool.

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

For middle of the night we use glucose tabs.

13. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I want to see what other people do as well. My daughter's only 7 but I couldn't leave the meter and stuff in just one spot and go around - the park was too big. So I ended up following her around. Glad there was somebody else with the baby... but there has got to be a better solution to this.

Maybe have a waterproof belt pack with an ice pack and bring that around? Leave it at the end of the slide/ride?

I had her carry a glucose gel for the long lines just in case.

14. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

This is a GREAT post! We're heading to the waterpark this week.

First time since pumping, and I was wondering how much to decrease the basal.

I hadn't planned to lower it as much as 50%, but I guess if I see him running high, I can adjust that.

Better to go high than low at a waterpark!

Thanks!