advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to mud-proof a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by slpmom2, May 27, 2012.

1. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Just signed up my daughter for a "wilderness school" day camp this summer, and now I'm thinking through the logistics. The parent information I've received suggests keeping a supply of plastic garbage bags in the car for the week, so that your mud-covered child doesn't ruin the car upholstery on the drive home! Sounds like loads of fun, and right up my dd's alley - the dirtier and more nature-oriented the activity, the better. But how do we keep her pump relatively clean and dry?

She has a MM waterproof pump pack, but it's hard plastic, you have to take the pump out of the case to operate it, and you can't hear CGM alarms through it. Good for an hour or two of swimming, but not for a whole day's activities. I've read about some soft plastic pump cases that allow operation and hearing alarms without taking the pump out, but am concerned that they will restrict insulin flow, especially since she has very low basal rates.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Take the pump off before doing these sort of activities. It isn't worth it for the pump to be damaged.

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I would just put the pump in a ziplock bag inside a pump pouch. If there is a particular activity that will be very muddy, she could disconnect and put a cap on her pump site. I can't imagine that the pump would get too dirty in a pump pouch, though.

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I get concerned with this idea because (a) she's so scattered and distractible that I'm concerned that she'd forget to put it back on, (b) I think it's going to be hard to differentiate messy vs. non-messy times of day - it kind of sounds like any time is fair game, and (c) she won't really have a safe place to put it as they traipse around the woods. In a pinch that's what we'll tell her to do, but it worries me.

5. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I had thought of the ziploc bag, but hadn't thought of putting it in another pump pack - great idea. I had figured she'd need to put it in the ziploc in her pocket, and didn't think she'd like to do that (she usually wears it clipped to her waistband). But the bag inside a pump pack might just work- thanks!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I wouldn't worry too much about damage. MM pumps are built like tanks. It would probably be fine in just a pump pack, but if you stick it in a baggie first, it should not be a problem.

Hope she has fun! :)

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I second this.. Unless the pump has cracks in its casing, you'll be fine.

8. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Everything I was going to say has already been suggested. I don't know what kind of pouch you have, but I'd see if there was room to stick some smarties or glucose tabs in there. The less she has to carry with her the better. Sounds like a great experience! :)

9. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

another option would be to go untethered for the duration of camp=)

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

The mm waterproof pump pack is a waste of money. :mad:

Try the aquapac. It's soft and you can push buttons right through it. It's kind of floppy but you can use a different belt or put the whole thing in a fanny pack. If just dirt is the broblem, there's Glad Press and Seal Wrap. I doubt it would keep water out if submersed but it should keep it clean.