- advertisement -

How to handle food sneaking?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by amyd, Oct 2, 2007.

1. amyd

amyd Approved members

Hi everyone.

My 7yr old son has been sneaking food. This has been going on for several months now and nothing we do or tell him is making an impact.
    I keep fresh veggies available every day along with some sf/gf cookies but he still takes pretzels, bananas, etc. Now, I don't care if he wants those things but I need to know if he eats those so he can get his insulin.
    I don't know what else to try. We've lectured, we've grounded but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

2. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Hay you tried a reward?

Dude if you wanta pretzel and you let me know I'll give you two.

As long as you tell me I'll give you an extra.

He is gonna want how ever many he wants so in rality if he is sneaking a few you are saying tell me aboutthe first and I'll let you have as many as you would take anyway but we go from frustrated mom to happy mom.

Growing kids need fule.

Another startagy may be to proactively feed him before the snax urge is too strong. OK growing kids would graze 24/7 so that may not work....

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

in our house the rule has always been - even before D - that you don't take food without asking. Period. Even my 14yo has to tell me before she takes food. But that's a hard rule to enforce if you've never lived that way. Maybe if you establish it as a whole family rule, not just for him - starting with you and his dad? It may seemed forced at first but maybe he'd catch on.

4. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

And I thought my family was the only ones who had this rule! That was the rule for us growing up and its the rule for my kids. Since I am the one who does all the food shopping I know what I have in the fridge and cupboards and can put a dinner together in my head without looking and Theres nothing more frustrating than going to the cupboard to get stuff for dinner only to find the kids have eaten it. If they tell me I can make my mental note as an Item not available.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Have you asked him why???? It might be a psychological thing going on, maybe he just wants the attention?

If you tell him he can have a snack anytime he wants, just bolus for it, then there is no real reason for him not to. Maybe after you ask him why, teach him to do some of his own things instead. For example, I buy a bag of pretzels, my dd fav, and I take the time after the entire world has gone to sleep, and I measure each serving into those little ziplocs and I put them in a big bowl, with the carbs written on each baggy with a sharpie. We have about 4 or 5 different snacks in there...I have even weighed bananas and written on the peel with a sharpie, so she could grab, bolus, and go!

6. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

Your son is only seven, he has a disease that will require self control and discipline his entire life. This is something that if you look around, most adults obviously don't have with food. If he shouldn't have them, but them where he can't get them. That, or don't buy them. Punishing kids into dealing with their disease is not the way to go. It leads to resentment and burn out.
    Maybe he is grabbing them because he wants to eat without the ordeal (shots or not) of insulin. Have you started the process of him learning to do his own insulin (with you doing the calculations of course)?

7. amyd

amyd Approved members

I'm not punishing him for having diabetes, I'm punishing him for not following the rules-which is you have to ask before you eat something. Having diabetes isn't a free pass for bad behavior in our house.
    He does know how to bolus on his own as long as he knows the carb count. Maybe I'll try the idea of putting snacks into little baggies with the counts written on them.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

one thing I've always loved for behavior that I wanted to change, was a sticker chart---
    If you do X, you get a sticker, as soon as you get a certain amount of stickers you can do Y.

My dd had to do this to earn getting her ears pierced. It worked to help potty train my ds, I bet it may help with your older one too. I would still recommend putting portions into bags, it helps everything in the long run that way.

My ds sometimes does this, but we don't have the same rules as you. The other day I tested him and he was high, I check the pump and he bolused 15 min earlier, for oreos, and didn't tell me, or check his blood. He did get the lecture about having to check his blood. He was at a friend's house and told the mom he didn't need to check. Thankfully he calculated carbs correct.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hahah...yes, that was always our family rule growing up too - and to this day I have a hard time grabbing something out of my mom's cabinet (even though I know it's ok - like a cookie) my SIL though, she's a cabinet raider and she just takes stuff out of my moms cabs and even though I know it's ok now I still cringe thinking "uh oh, what if mom needed those last 3 tostitos" lol.

10. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

My son is 8 and we have the same issues on and off. He knows it's wrong, not because of D but because he is supposed to ask. We put things up higher and he climbs to get them. It is not a constant thing but it rears it's head every few months. I may have to go wtih Badshoe's advice and try the whole you tell me and I will let you have an extra one. Hunter knows how to carb count and bolus and if he would do that I would be happier. I wish you luck - I know how you feel.

11. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Julia did that before the pump. She didn't want the extra shot. We just stuck to our guns, and got the pump. How many carbs can he have for free? Maybe get some SF Jello, and find some other yummies that are free. I don't think punishing for this is punishing him for having a disease. I'd actually have him pay you back, or earn off the food he is sneaking. When he asks, he doesn't have to, and may even get a reward, even if it is just some high praise, or a sticker.

12. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

It sounds like there are two things at work here. Not just the D, but also celiac. It is not uncommon to have these types of issues with foods when you have a restricted diet. I think a good thing to try is a reward system similar to what sam1nat2 suggested. Reward the positive behavior. It also may not hurt to sit down with a nutritionist and/or psychologist to try to figure out creative ways to work through these food restriction issues.

13. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

I asked our endo this very same question....What to do about sneaking food? She didn't really have a good answer other than to encourage him to tell me what and when he's eating.

The conclusion I came to is I want Caleb to have a healthy relationship with food, and it's not healthy to have to report every morsel that passes by your lips. To fix our problem, I have a shelf in the pantry and in the fridge that is full of "free food". If you want something that's not on the shelf, let me know and we'll work something out. This has worked remarkably well. Caleb feels like he can graze at will, I'm not surprised by a high BG later that I can't attribute to anything.

Good Luck!

14. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Kelton would sneak food too, but at least he would bolus for it. BUT there came a time where he would take his allowance money and go to the store down the road and buy candy bars:eek: and not bolus for them. I found his stash one day while cleaning, I was changing the sheets and found 14 candy bars under his mattress:mad: I took them, and his dad and I made a decision about the allowance money. He now has divide up his allowance into 3 envelops, one for long-term savings (college) Medium-term (car) and short term (I have to have it items, right now). The college and the car money is in an account in a bank in another town LOL..

When Kelton was younger he used to sneak peanut butter by the finger full, and not bolus for it, I tried bribing him with better offers, that didn't work, so I finally had to literally lock the cabinet, this was his therapists idea. He was in therapy because he was having difficulty with the D diagnosis, which is understandable. This made an impact.

We also had a rule that one was to ask for food and not raid the cabinets or the fridge. He got by this rule by going into the kitchen in the middle of the night :eek:

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel has only been through one stage of wanting food she didn't need. She was quite defiant that she was taking it and eating it, and I couldn't do anything about it. I was a mean mother (yet again) and told her that if she kept taking the food, we would give her pump to another child who would love to have it and I would give her an injection everytime she ate. That soon pulled her into line. Sometimes I don't have enough energy to be 'nice' and do the reward thing :mad: