advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get Apidra on vacation in hurricane-y Florida?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Melissabethh, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Melissabethh

Melissabethh New Member

Hi everyone. We're on vacation from Spain in the Florida Keys - well, for a few more minutes we are until we head out to the Airbnb we rented near Fort Lauderdale. I made the bad mistake of not double checking how much insulin my 13-year old son packed, and we have just enough Apidra to last until our flight leaves on Saturday night. The problem is that Irma will likely not let us leave on time. We have travel insurance, but it doesn't cover any diabetes stuff, of course :( Does anyone know if there's a way to buy just one pen in the likely event we need to stay longer? Thanks for your help!

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hi Melissa,

You have much graver worries than purchasing insulin.

My strong sense is that your flight will not be able to depart as scheduled on Sat night due to the impending approach of Major Hurricane Irma. My strong advice is to spend the money and to get out of FLA as soon as you can. Ideal would be a sooner flight home within the next day or two, alternative would be to get off the FLA peninsula and then keep heading north and east. Irma is a hurricane of unprecedented intensity, and the centre of her predicted track would take her more or less directly over Ft. Lauderdale. You do not want to be there when/if it happens.

As for the Apidra, I'd buy a package of 5 Apidra pens as soon as you can (if you can still get any) and take your lumps.

You need to move on this!

Wilf

3. Melissabethh

Melissabethh New Member

No flights, unfortunately, so we're stuck here! Our rental has a generator and reinforced windows and filtered water so we'll just have to hope for the best!
    We can get a prescription for Apidra but the insulin pens would cost us $500, which is basically the sum total of our emergency funds. We'll buy it if we need to, but Does anyone have an extra pen they could sell us?

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

If you can, rent a car and go. If no rentals are available, check whether the authorities are organizing public transport evacuations out of the area. Trying to leave should be your highest priority at this time. Trust me, you do not want to be in the path of this hurricane.

I'll leave it to FLA folks who may read this to respond about an Apidra pen. I'd be happy to help but am several thousand km away.

Just out of curiosity, how far is your rental from the beach?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  5. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

If you can get the Apidra, you can just use syringes if you consult a pharmacy to make sure you have the proper size syringes and needles. I would think you can just draw the Apidra out of the cartridges since it's the needle tip that punctures the rubber membrane on the cartridge.

6. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I would suggest you get on some of the more active diabetes groups on FB and see if someone can sell you or give you a pen or a vial soon or just take your lumps and buy it. Perhaps if you got a prescription for one vial, rather than a box of pens that would be cheaper.

I live in the New Orleans area. I evacuated for Katrina and didn't come back for a week and a half. Even after that amount of time, things were nowhere NEAR normal and you couldn't count on stores, pharmacies, or anything being open. On that note, make sure you have plenty of low treatments as well. My daughter was not even born at that time, much less diagnosed, but I am going to tell you, if I thought a major hurricane was coming at me, I would spend the emergency money and make sure I had what I need.

7. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Insulin For Life USA may be a resource to help. They're also working directly and indirectly with CDEs in Texas and FL, and one of them is in southern FL....

The site to contact/call is here: http://ifl-usa.org/

Good luck, and sending thoughts and prayers. Please keep us in the loop, as much as possible given everything on that end.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Apidra can be hard to get quickly as many pharmacies do not stock. Even if you think you want and need to pay out of pocket order it now. Do you have a prescription? To get insulin immediately you may need to switch to Novolog or Humolog till you get home. You maybe able to find some in stock if you call around to the different pharmacies.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

This is really good to know. Thank you for sharing. I live in an area with a big Earthquake risk and we discuss regularly how to have a safe supply of insulin with an earthquake. Where do you store in your house so you can get to? What insulins can be stored outside of a refrigerator for a year? It is really tricky. I assume in an emergency situation I just want syringes and some type of insulin available for 7 days. So maybe store in a couple of spots in your house. The refrigeration issue with the newer insulins is the issue, as you have to store it before using:). Anyone who has any brilliant ides chime in. Hurricanes you have some warning, earthquakes you have to have your supplies in place ready to go every day:):).

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey at least you weren't in the Keys when the hurricane came through - dire news from those parts. It would be good to hear back once you're back home safely in Spain.