- advertisement -

How to even start scent training a DAD.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by denise3099, Feb 6, 2012.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

OK we aren't even close to getting our pet dog--we are going to the spanish water dog breeder Sat. to see if I'm allergic (something tells me even if I am I'll have to stock up on allegra b/c dd has her heart set on one). We wouldn't get the puppy for months--the "lady"* is not pg yet and then we wouldn't get the pup until its 8 wks. So this is way far out. But I'm curious and would like to start reading up on this.

So where do you even start with scent training. I mean you bring home an 8 wk old puppy and then what. I guess I start with potty training--btw do you paper train and then move outside or do you start outside? Gosh, I'm clueless--I had to google "do you wipe your dog's butt?" :eek: this is like having my first baby!

At what age to you start and how? I was guessing I'd put a sample and treats when he sniffed it, then treats when he found it under a cup, then treats when he found it in the house, then have him paw me after finding the low scent and a treat, then someday by some miracle he would paw me when dd was low. Does that even make sense? Any books I should read to guide me through this?

I just ordered the dog whisperer magazine. :D

*I will never get used to hearing a female dog called a *****. Seriously, when the breeder said this I nearly dropped the phone!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just curious, what will you use for a "low scent"?

3. denise3099

Realize that A. I have no idea what I'm doing, and B. well, I just have no idea what I'm doing. :eek: Since it's a herding and sport dog, it needs something to do. They recommend getting inovlved is agility trials or some sort of extracurricular to keep his brain active and plenty of excercise so I figured this was worth a shot.

I thought 'd use spit. Seriously, like gauze soaked in saliva when dd is low (because everyone with a low bs would like to suck on a wad of gauze :rolleyes: ) I also heard of using a sock the kid was wearing when low. I think you have to store scents in a zipped baggy in the freezer. But anyone who knows more than me ie, everyone, should chime in. :D

btw, this would not be a "real" dad who goes everywhere with you and is allowed in restaurants. I was thinking about doing this so the dog could respond when he's around dd--sort of like a hobby. Is that crazy stupid?

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you scroll down on this page Heather has some basic guidelines for house training a puppy.

http://heatherwitt.com/referencesheets.html

She's a local trainer that we have worked with in the past. I think she has a great philosophy. ;)

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think that if you want to try it and it'll be fun, etc. there is no harm in it (clearly as long as you don't push the dog too far, but you know that). But I also wouldn't get your hopes up. There is a reason why service dogs generally get intensive training, and I think it will be very hit and miss as to whether your dog will alert as a hobby. ;) There is a tendency to only hear stories about the alerters. I've read far more online stories of "my cat/dog/ferret alerted me to a low" than "my cat/dog/ferret doesn't alert me to a low" but that is just because the miracle animals are the ones which get reported.

For the record, I have owned 2 dogs, 3 cats, 12 guinea pigs (although they probably don't count since some of them were unintentional babies who we found new homes for) and 3 chickens since I was dx'd. None of them have ever shown the slightest ability to tell a difference when I'm low or high. That said, I also never tried training any of them.

But I hope you do manage it. It would be pretty cool. I have heard of socks being used as well, but I don't really get it. When you're low are you supposed to take off your current socks and put on a new pair? Because otherwise the socks would smell normal as well as low, right? But then you would treat the low and it would come up, so are you supposed to take the socks off before you do that? (Not trying to be obtuse, genuinely not sure how this works. I mean, for each day's socks I usually have at least one low and one high and a few normal numbers mixed in - my dog might get confused about when to alert. :p)

6. denise3099

LOL!! That's funny. I have no idea either. But I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking to take off the low sock and store that as my scent sock and just put on another pair and hope for good bs.
    And you're right, no one ever says, "Hey guess what, I had a bs of 40 and my dog didn't even blink!" :D

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Not sure going with a dog that needs to be really active (like the agility training) is going to go over well.. I've always heard that DAD's or any other service dogs, do one thing, service, they don't do multiple things. I know you don't know a lot about it (and either do I) so I'd definitely look into that before you sink money into a puppy that may not work for what you want it to do.

As for the sent training.. maybe you could email a reputable company an ask how sent training begins.. OR I KNOW there is at least one family that frequents the board that did train their own dog, maybe she'll pop in and give you some advice. :)

8. denise3099

This will be a pet first and a scent dog if it works out--if he likes it and can do it. They are used as herding dogs but also as gun dogs. Which seems odd to me since herding and retreiving are two totally different skill sets. I'd think a herder is too active whereas a retriever can sit still for long periods while paying attention and jump into action as needed--I guess that's why they use labs so often. But if the SWD takes to it and likes it then that will be neat.

I sound like a spaz but I'm so nervous and excited. :D

9. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Give this site a try: http://www.diabeticalertdog.com/index.php
    We are going through Scott Smith who is training our Golden Doodle DAD, he is the guy in the AVA video- you can also do a search on his name in the site to see many tips that he has offered to those doing their own training, he is very helpful and offers proven low cost videos to help those that want to train their own dogs-

Good Luck in whatever way you get to your goal of having a DAD!!!