- advertisement -

How to deal with school breakfast

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Wendyb, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

My son will be in kg next year. In his school, KG kids all walk down as a class to the cafeteria and eat breakfast together after school starts. My son will eat breakfast at home. The breakfast at school is very carb heavy and not all that healthy--not to mention, unlabeled. He is currently in PK at the same school and I bring him in at 9am everyday AFTER breakfast so that he doesn't have to sit there while the kids eat. However, I've gotten to a place now where I'm thinking that he may have to deal with this issue and not being able to have foods that the other kids are eating. Although I don't like it, he does have this disease and these kind of issues come with it. What do you all think?

2. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

I think it probably makes you feel like you're forced to decide between your son's health (unhealthy food and likely a major spike every morning) and his social well-being. what a tough place for a mom to be!!!!!

Of course you can get the carb counts for the foods from the office--they are required to provide it in most cases. Or better yet, get the school nurse a Salter scale and let them calculate it. I would base your decision on how he feels about eating something different from everyone else. If it will really bother him, grit your teeth and let him have the unhealthy breakfast.

If he doesn't mind, maybe he could bring a sack breakfast from home? Surely there are other kids who can't eat the breakfast due to allergies or won't because they are picky eaters, so he wouldn't be the only one.

Good luck!