- advertisement -

How to deal with hunger

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Amy C., Feb 24, 2012.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am about 40 lbs overweight.

I can eat less and exercise to lose weight and have done so many times. I inevitably gain the weight back because I cannot stand to be hungry.

How does one deal with hunger pains? I get quite distracted with them.

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I suppose it depends on what diet plan you are following. But what my mother used to recommend to her clients, and what I still do today, is fill up with more veggies and water. With the old Weight Watchers plan for example, it was recommended to have at least 3 veggie servings per day, BUT veggies were actually unlimited. Baby carrots are a big one for me, celery too. If you like Salsa, you can snack on celery filled with or dipped in salsa. Also in my house, cucumbers. Slice them up and snack on them. And make sure to drink 8 cups of water per day.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Lots of water. Protein takes longer to digest so helps you feel full longer. Having smaller meals more often also can help with hunger pains.

These are my new go to snacks. A half a serving makes me feel full and they're crunchy/salty which usually satisfies my snack craving.

And veggie snacking is also great as well. I'm finding that tracking my food has been helping a lot. Not only does it help you see what you're consuming but it also makes you think a little harder about your choices.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

A little trick too, for those of you who use diet baking mixes for things such as muffins or pancakes (we used to do this with nutri system pancakes) or breads. When those recipes call for water (most diet mixes do) instead of using tap water, use diet seltzer water (diet Canada Dry or such). It will not ad calories, but it will fluff up the baked items so that they are more filling.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

High protein, very low carb, low fat, lots of water, lots of veg. The only way I've ever been able to drop weight and not feel cranky about it. Good luck!:cwds:

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I've been on a vegan, whole grains, no oil added diet since October. I lost 8 lbs. effortlessly and seem to be able to eat to my satisfaction. I did it to lower my cholesterol...and it went from 260 to 196! It's the diet that Bill Clinton went on after his second heart attack, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., MD. I was practically a vegetarian anyway, so it wasn't much of a stretch for me. I get the sprouted bread and make my own veggie burgers with black beans, grains & other things. We eat a lot of beans and brown rice, or steamed veggie and brown rice. I eat oatmeal and berries every morning (frozen berry mix from costco). It is limited, but I swear, I'm snacking all the time* and I've been able to maintain the 8 lb. weight loss. I guess it's not for everyone, but it's been almost 5 months and I just don't feel deprived at all!

*I snack on no oil added tamari/seaweed rice crackers with Oasis no-fat hummus or bean dip (Vitamin Cottage), Mother's caramel corn crackers (whole foods), fruit, about an ounce of walnuts, veggies! I'm on a brussel sprouts kick with dijon mustard. Not everyone's cup of tea!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

EAT! If you are hungry eat! Eat 7 salads, 12 bowls of broccoli, 8 carrots, and 3 lbs of kale. You won't be hungry anymore. :D

BUT, if you are bored, or craving nummy things, or filling an emotional need, then kale ain't gonna cut it. In that case you DO need a distraction, like gum, or something else to do with your hands or something else to focus on. Memorize a poem. See how many primary numbers you can count up to. Or count by 4s as high as you can. Or count backwords from 1,00. (I like to count. :) ) When you are fantazing about food, think about swimming instead, or playing the violin or humming a piece of music to yourself.

By the way, don't bother to listen to me since I've been losing the same 40 pounds for 20 years! :eek:

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Eliminate all white foods (flour, sugar, potatoes, rice), eliminate all liquid calories, eliminate all added fats. LIMIT other carbs like starchy vegetables. Use whole wheat pastas and brown rice. The hardest one for me is limiting cheese.

Other than that, eat to your heart's content. For me having the freedom to eat an apple or make a salad whenever I wanted really helped. I could and do eat unlimited amounts of fresh fruits and veggies, which helps with the hunger. I adore lettuce wraps right now, just ate some taco (turkey) meat wrapped in lettuce with salsa. Baby tomatoes I pop into my mouth all day long. I buy sugar snap peas at Sam's and eat them raw, the crunch is satisfying. Edamame is a good snack too, I roast them so they are crunchy too.

I recently did a hard core diet to get the weight off quickly, then have been doing a month of the above to maintain, we'll see how it goes once I start adding in carbs again. Like you I can lose, but then gain it back again, on and on. This time around I am really determined to keep it off, am going to stay on a fairly limited carb/whites limited diet but splurge once in a while so I don't feel deprived.

One of the tricks I used when I was doing the more hard core part was drinking green tea with stevia. It took a while to drink, satisfied my sweet tooth somewhat, and I could usually get past a major craving.

For me the emotional eating is what is hard. I'm not really hungry most of the time, I just enjoy eating!

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Thanks for the replies.

I should have added I am currently trying to follow Weight Watchers on their most recent plan where I eat a certain number of points each day and try to exercise a fair amount.

Fruits are free, as are non-starchy veggies.

10. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I may have missed it but I did not see anyone mention fiber (though it would be increased in the fresh fruit, veg, an whole grains). A fiber supplement like pectin could help. All that advise looked good.

One additional possibility: learn to have a positive attitude toward hunger and embrace it as much as you can as a sign that you are losing or maintaining weight. One observation I have made is that the more I am hungry the better I can handle it. It is as of one does get used to being hungry - except when one eats sugar.

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

This site has a lot of good recipes, at least everything I've tried so far is wonderful, and they list points for each recipe.

12. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I snack on rice cakes like a maniac when I diet. I don't know weight watchers, so not sure what's allowed.

But rice cakes help me feel full and there are so many flavors now, some of them are downright yummy.

If fruit is unlimited, I'd make up a full force fruit salad to have on hand. The boys and I all eat more fruit when I fix it into a colorful salad. It's more appealing when it's together and ready to go.

Please accept this post with the understanding that the author is sitting on the couch next to a cup of coffee and a donut. What I say and what I am willing to do are usually worlds apart. :)