- advertisement -

How to bolus for tacos

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandapanda1980, Jan 24, 2012.

1. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

I'm thinking dual wave, maybe two hours? Any suggestions on how to bolus for them

Also, they are flour tortillas, my mil sent them home with us

2. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

We definitely dual wave when Jacob has tacos (the fat in the meat and cheese tend to spike him later, even if they're ground turkey). I'd try a 50/50 for two hours as you said. You'll probably have to do a little trial and error on this one as far as the duration goes, but two hours is a good place to start.

Good luck!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 2010

3. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

We don't have to dual wave tacos at all.

4. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

LOL, tacos are EVIL in my house. Also my son's favorite food. For us it's not only the fat of the cheese and meat, it's the corn tortillas.

Nachos, Doritos, Taco Shells are real challengers for this dad.

We could NEVER do a straight bolus with tacos, it's a 20/80 7 hour ordeal here.

Seeing the differences between us and stylemom on tacos, and how some tremble at the sight of cereal and for us it's as easy as can be, is truly remarkable.

5. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I always use a normal bolus for tacos, and never really found them to be a problem food. I am also allergic to dairy and can't eat cheese though. If your tacos have lots of cheese they may work differently. The soft tortillas are frequently deceptively high carb if you are eyeballing it.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Flour tortillas...a nightmare for us! We call it "revenge of the tortilla."
    For us, we do 70/30 over about 3 hours.

We have better luck with corn tortillas or hard corn shells. These, just a straight bolus. No revenge there.

FYI, there is a low carb tortilla out there, I think it's Mission brand. I've started buying those, not as much of a problem for us.

7. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Well I did the 50/50 for two hours...106 at 8, 393 at 10. Correct. 1:30 342. Bah. Correct 5am 197 let be. 7Am 141. Man those tacos are wicked. We've been pumping over a year but I am just now trying to fine tune these darn foods. I think I need to extend it a bit longer. Lol

8. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

yeah Tacos's always kick our butt too..always always a spike later on..we are still trying to fine tune them...:cwds: ~Beach bum~"revenge of the tortilla." That made me laugh...it sure is the truth..lol

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we've never had any problems with tacos. We just do the normal bolusing with them.

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I guess I should count myself lucky. Tacos have been ok for us. But, we do hard-shell, and they're about 13-15 carbs.