advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old was your CWD when they went solo to D-camp?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommy For Life, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We are starting to look up diabetes camps for 2012. We went to a weekend family camp 2 weeks after Olivia was diagnosed. Most other attendees were shocked we were there, but it was a great experience. :) Olivia will be 9 this spring. Did anyone send their cwd to a week long camp at 9 years old? :cwds:

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son went to camp at 8 and then at 9. He was too young both times. He didn't go solo again until he was 14.

The age doesn't matter, but the child does. If your daughter is willing, let her try. Otherwise, find a diabetes day camp to attend.

3. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Mara went to week-long diabetes camp 3 months after she was diagnosed at age 8. She has been back every year since and has said that camp is the best part about having diabetes!

The first year it was hard to let her go and trust that everything would be taken care of.... now I laugh when I think about that.....

There are MORE people there with training, experience and life lessons about how to live fully with diabetes than she would ever have here at home....

4. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

My son was diagnosed when he was 7 and the CDE strongly urged us when he was 8 to send him to camp. He went for the first time this past summer at the age of 10. I was a wreck but, his first letter to me said this, "Mom, I was having such a good time I forgot to miss you!" he will go back this year:)

5. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I was never allowed to go. :/

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hailey was eight and she loved it. Her camp starts out with a weekend family camp and then if the family, the parents and the child agree, the camper stays for the week. She loved it so much she went back for another session...thinking about it, maybe she was seven. She loves camp and the people there. It has given her so much joy and self confidence!

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've never been to diabetes camp, at diagnosis I thought it was a stupid idea... I had no idea how lonely diabetes could be =( I asked to go last summer, but we were just to busy, and its pretty expansive around here. I did go away for a week the summer after I was diagnosed though, I was 15, I spent the week with my uncle in new York watching his kids while his wife was away for work. I think it was a great experience for my as well as my mom, I really learned that I can overcome every challenge diabetes gives me=) plus the babysitting part made me confident that I can eventually be a parent with diabetes. However, it wasn't diabetes camp, I only had me, my uncle didn't even know what the glucagon was until I got there. I called my mom every night, and we texted a lot though. I would say if your daughter wants to, you should let her go. 'd' friends are hard to explain, but there's no one like them.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter was 6 for day camp and 9 for overnight. However, our overnight was a camp that you could bring a sibling or friend, and hubby and I took advantage of that fact and sent them both off!

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

@Timmy Mac and pianoplayer4, have you thought about applying to be a councilor at a camp?

10. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Ab was 9, diagnosed 6 mos earlier. She loved it and has gone back every year.

11. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia went to DAY D camp at age 6 and 7. It was fine, she enjoyed it.

At 8 we sent her to overnight D camp. She seemed excited and said she wanted to go. But it didn't go so well, she was too young and extremely homesick. They called me the second full day and said we needed to pick her up. She was crying or near tears all the time and upsetting the other campers. Note though that she was having anxiety issues at the time that we were still trying to get a handle on. I don't know what I was thinking signing her up.

At 9 we didn't even bring it up as she would mention on occasion how much she missed us at camp and was scared etc. At 10 I casually mentioned it and she said no, but MAYBE when she was 11. She would think about it lol. At 11 she brought it up, said she really wanted to go and kept begging me to sign her up. I did, she went and absolutely loved it and when I picked her up she asked if I could sign her up for the next summer right then! And periodically since then she has asked when it's time to sign up.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was diagnosed at 14 and went to diabetes camp when I was 15. It was a mixed experience for me (I enjoyed some bits, others not so much). Overall I'm very glad I went once, although I wouldn't want to do it again. Your camp experience may vary. ;)

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Camps deal with homesickness in different ways. There is one camp in Texas that works very hard to keep campers at camp when they are homesick -- even when a parent would have thought it reasonable come to pick up the child.

Don't expect to be able to get your child if she is unhappy.

14. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie went last summer at age 8, just 6 months after dx. She loved it and can't wait to go again this summer.

15. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Spencer was 7, almost 8, when she attended sleepover camp. 9 months after diagnosis. It was a phenomenal experience for her and she loved every minute. She is the youngest of 4, though, and she had watched her older sisters go to camp for years. If not for diabetes, my rule of thumb was no sleep away camp until age 10. I think Spencer felt special because I was making an exception for her. One day I hope to send her to non-D camp as she has requested.

16. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Ours has a minimum age of 7 so DD wasn't able to attend until this past summer. She went (at 7) and loved it! She can hardly wait for the next one :)

17. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Lauren went to camp for a one week session when she was 7 (6 mo. after diagnosis) and then she went for the 3 week sessions every year after that (starting when she was 8). She LOVES camp Sweeney and would like to go for 2 sessions this year, but she also wants to go to band camp. D camp has been a great experience for her and a big help with confidence and D experience (and it's super fun!).

18. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I sent mine both at 9, the youngest age cut-off. It was the hardest thing I have ever donem because it's for 2 weeks, and when morgan went, I thought I would nit make it! However when she came back, she was so different. she was more mature, had made tons of friends, and wanted to go back. after that year, it became the highlight of her summer. when her sister was diagnosed, she didn't want Zoe to go because it was HER special thing. she got over it, and Zoe felt the same way, she loves it more than anything else! Now Morgan is on staff there, and plans to go back every summer! as a parent, it was the best thing I ever did for my children in dealing with their disease!

19. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Jacob went when he was 8 - I spent a weekend with him as a transition (this was part of their "family camp") and then left Monday morning. I found that he had such a blast when I picked him up five days later - I sent him for another week the following month! He also went for two separate weeks last summer and is looking forward to it again. I think Jacob really enjoys the feeling of freedom there (no parents looking over his shoulders!), and a sense of comraderie with other T1 diabetics. I'm so thankful for camp!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM

20. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Jacob must also go to Camp Conrad Chinnok considering where you live. Alexa has been going since she was 8 - about 7 months after dx. Camp is her safe place - "home" for her. It is the place she is happiest. As a matter of fact - in 2 weeks, for her 13th birthday, I am having a mini camp weekend with her 3 best "D" friends and their mom's in San Diego. She said it is the best birthday present ever.