- advertisement -

How often test for ketones?....also venting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darcyann3, Jun 28, 2006.

1. darcyann3

darcyann3 Approved members

:mad: Hello Everyone,

Well first of all my question is how often or when do you test for ketones? My son Trevor is 7yrs old dx at 16mts old so we have been managing his diabetes for quite some time. The reason I am asking is because Trevor started summer school June 5th and goes four days a week for four hours. Last Wed. the nurse calls me in the evening to ask me to bring ketones strips. I explain to her that there is no reason for her to check for ketones for the four hours Trevor is there. She only tests Trevor's bs three hours after he has been there. She explains to me that she really needs them there in case something were to happen and if his blood sugar is over 250. Well I explained that I only test Trevor's ketones if he is sick or if his bs is really high for no apparent reason. He is usually high because I let him have extra snack's. Plus I explained that Trevor also has Aperger's (mild spectrum of autism) and I have never used the ketone strips as he hasn't been sick in quite a long time. We also have the meter to check for ketones even though that isn't the meter we check his bs with. So after the nurse and I going back and forth I basically said "Look I am not bringing ketone strips to you. If it was that important why didn't you call me at the beginning of Summer school. Trevor only has five more days left and is done" Well apparently she didn't like my reaction and called "Social Services" on me saying that Trevor's diabetes weren't being managed well enough. They came out and the lady was really nice and all and said there was no cause for action. I really can't believe the nerve of her doing something like that. Glad Trevor doesn't go to that school during regular school as I wouldn't want her taking care of him.
    Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. Thank goodness he only has tomorrow left and we are done with this whole thing.

Darcy

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I don't see why see needed to test for ketones either. I probably would not have argued with her and given her permission to speak with my child's doctor to clear up any understanding or given her the strips if she was really interested.

She went overboard to report you.

3. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

I do think that nurse was out of place to report you to Social Services! That was extreme behaviour on her part. As far as checking for ketones, we were told to check anytime our childrens bs was over 240. She was probably taught the same thing, which is why she wanted ketone strips. Still no reason to react the way she did. I would just have your endo's office send a note to her explaining their policy on checking for ketones so she understands why you didn't feel the need to send any in.

4. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Oh my Gosh!!!

I can't beleive she would do that. That is so scary.

5. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I could feel my blood pressure rising as I read your post! Can you complain to the principal? The state board of nursing? I would be so livid.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm sorry this got so out of hand for you. You would think if the nurse was so concerned about ketones she would have stated flat out prior to starting s. school that she needs them and why. Odd that she waited until the last week!
    As for our school, they gave me a list of supplies that they are required to have on hand for all diabetic students. Ketone strips are on this list. There main concern would be if she had an incredibly high reading and did not come down immediately, or if she vomitted, and I or my husband could not for some reason be reached.
    My daughter has a problem with nightime highs. Some nights she will have 2 readings over 265 in a row, as she comes down slowly. This is when I check for ketones. It is generally once a week. We also check on sick days.
    But as we all know, every diabetic is different. We can tell if our child will run high or low in a particular situation. Many of us will let our kids run a bit high during school hours if there is no nurse present (we had to do this).
    Again, I'm sorry you had to have this happen. Hopefully this won't happen again.

7. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

If it took her that long to decide that ketone strips were important, she probably had just read about ketones trips in a brochure somewhere, and suddenly became an "expert..."

Remember, everyone is an "expert" after they've read a brochure. That's why we hear of people offering their diabetes advice because their cousin's uncle's friend's daughter's son has diabetes, so they begin dishing out the stereotypes they've learned.

Perhaps this nurse was looking for a raise, and wanted to report something to her superiors such that they would think she was worth the paycheck. This is why you'll find some store clerks act like they "own" the store upon discovery of something being wrong with a price or policy... :confused:

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

JasonJayhawk
    I COULD HAVE SAID IT BETTER MY SELF..LOL.. the nerve of that nurse.. I mean i understand ( i think her point, better to have them just in case) but come on AT THE END OF THE SUMMERSCHOOL YEAR...i would report her to the school principle so someone else doenst ahve to go thru this... Yeah for social service in saying no need for concern.. hopefully the will tell her too so she knows she did absolutly nothing.. UGH

9. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

Aarrggghhh.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Sometimes I wonder about how some of the people who get jobs in schools manage to get them....but then, some of my students' parents probably wonder that about me, too! :D

After explaining the situation, especially about the Precision Extra meter to test for ketones, she should have backed off. Well, really, it shouldn't have even started, but.....Thankfully, you won't have to deal with her again. When he goes to "regular" school during the year, is he there all day? I guess I would let the regular school nurse and staff know what happened, so that the idiot summer school nurse doesn't try to turn the other school staff against you. Sadly, that happens a lot in schools - it's amazing how fast the rumors and misinformation fly through that grapevine.:eek:

Short of constructing a voodoo doll of her and sticking it with lots of lancets and needles :D, once summer school is done, let it go and we'll all pray for a good school nurse for you for the school year! That's one of the best parts about these forums - you can come and vent and get support (and not have to go postal on the idiots that make you angry! LOL).

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We were instructed to check for ketones if bg is low in the morning, with illness, with very high blood glucose levels, and high blood glucose levels when considering exercise. Every person with diabetes spills ketones in urine at a different threshold.

My gut reaction is the nurse has to be reported to the highest authority in the State. She was extremely out of bounds. What good would urine ketone strips have been for her to have on hand, when using them would only indicate the presence of ketones hours prior? Did she have orders from your son's doctor to check your son for presence of ketones in urine? Further, with the Aspergers, your son didn't need her upsetting your son with yet another worry.

Do you think she was about to be audited and realized she did not have ketone strips (maybe there's a checklist she has for what she needs from parents of children with diabetes)? IMHO, regardless of her reason, she was wrong to call social services on you for simply not having ketone strips provided to her.

11. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Hi Darcy, Our pediatric endo told us above 250 or if the child doesn't feel well even if he is in normal range. The regular endo told us for children 350 or if the child doesn't feel well. What a weasel this nurse is. If it's outlined in his 504 or diabetic management plan, you need to have it. If it's not you don't. I send them to school as well as the ketometer just in case there is a malfunction but I'm known for being a paranoid freak about my childs health. Plan after plan after back up plan brings me security. Next time let your doctor handle it. Talk about abuse of power. Social services time could have been much better spent helping someone who needed it. Good luck next year. Glad my kids don't go there. Tami