- advertisement -

How often have you had to replace your Medtronic Minimed Paradigm Pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I had to replace my son's Medtronic Minimed Paradigm pump a few weeks ago (after about a year) due to it failing to administer the correct amounts of insulin. I've no doubt it was due to the reservoirs leaking. Quite frankly, I think all of the reservoirs leak (not just the ones they've recalled) and eventually, they destroy the pumps. At first, his numbers being all over the place with no patterns whatsoever just made me think I was crazy, but then I went back to needles for a day or two and realized it wasn't me...it was the pump. When we got the replacement pump, things were much better, but now his numbers are starting to be all over the place again.

Is it normal to have to replace a pump pretty frequently? I'm starting to worry about this. I mean having blood sugars in the 220's in the middle of the night some nights and in the 60s and 70s other nights with no other factor changes seems pretty dramatic to me. Any wisdom to offer?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We can easily see numbers flip from low to high overnight without clear explanation. To be honest, that's just the nature of the beast. Especially in a kid in pre-puberty and just a year or so in.

Fwiw, we've replaced our mm pump once within the past 2.5 years for a rewind issue.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm with Sarah... I think you're expecting far too much predictability from an incredibly unpredictable condition. You say there were "no other factor changes" but I presume you are only talking about the factors that you can see/control. Bear in mind that there are hundreds of other factors in play, such as the constantly fluctuating levels of hormones in the body, minor changes in stress, temperature, illnesses that the body is asymptomatically fighting, etc. The list is huge, and fluctuations are to be expected. 6 years into diabetes, my blood sugar can easily hit 50 or 400 without an obvious change in circumstances, whether I am using the pump or injections.

To answer your question, I personally have never had to replace my pump - when I have a problem within warranty MM have replaced without issues. In 5 years I am on my 4th pump I think. The down button stopped working on the first. A button started peeling off the second. The third had a crack on the reservoir compartment. All still functioned totally fine.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Ours lasted over 2 years, until my son jumped into the water with it on last week! Until then, no issues whatsoever. We have dramatic changes from night to night, too, but as the others have said, I think that is diabetes, and not the pump!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We had our 522 for 2 years and then upgraded to the 523, which we had for 3 years. We replaced one once when we were troubleshooting an issue, but the issue turned out to be with our sites, and not the pump, so our replacement rate was in reality zero in 5 years.

I agree with Sarah. Sometimes wonky numbers just happen.

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

2 minimed pumps here

My husband is on his second minimed pump. The first one started acting wierd just a few months after the four year warranty period- so we got the full four years out of it. He is now on year three of his second pump.

My son is also on year three of his pump. We have not had to have any of these repaired, replaced or anything else - knock on wood.

Our experience has been great.

7. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

When I was on Minimed, I think I had 2 replacements. One for a priming issue, another for the abuse I put it through. I switched 2 years ago to OmniPod and I occasionally use Minimed, for maybe a month a time, and it's still running perfectly.

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

his current pump? one time, alarms were not vibrating and he doesn't like audible alarms.

first pump, one time as well, so long ago, I cant recall why.

9. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We've been pumping just over 2 years, and the only trouble we've had was just recently, when we had to have the battery cap replaced.

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I am pretty sure I have had 4 medtronic pumps replaced in the past 10 years (all pumping with minimed pumps).

1. Crack near reservoir while out of warranty (got new revel).
    2. Rewind Issue (creaky sound)
    3. Water damage (my fault)
    4. Physical damage from falling on it while skiing (it was totally usable but my parents requested a new one and MM cheerfully complied)

I think that is it. So I have averaged 1 replacement every 2.5 years. Not bad considering the number of iphones I have gone through :D

ETA: Nevermind, it is actually 5. I had one replaced because I had battery issues a few months ago. I'm pretty sure it was an issue with something inside the battery compartment not the pump but the guy on the helpline insisted on sending a new one out.

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Since switching to the new pump when it came out (the Revel I believe) we've had to get three new pumps. Two were motor errors and the third I am unsure if it was a reservoir leak issue or what but the inside where the reservoir locks into had drops of insulin inside it several times, when I spoke with the MM rep they said "they felt better replacing it and our reservoirs" - so they did.

12. KylesMom

KylesMom Approved members

My son is about to be on his third pump in about 10 months. The first one was replaced after about a month because he was having very high BG about 24 hours after changing the sites which no one could explain. Medtronic replaced the pump and exchanged the sites with a different lot # just to be safe. So I have no idea if there was actually anything wrong with that pump. Things improved a little but we ended up changing the type of infusion set, because that seemed to be more of the problem.

However recently he has started to have a problem with very high BG at night that would not come down without giving him a shot. We also tried changing everything out after 2 days instead of 3, because we found the problem was worse after about 2 days of changing the set. That helped until the other night, when we discovered something not working right. His BG was high when I checked him at night and wouldn't come down, so I went to change everything out. Before I took the old resevoir out, I checked the tubing for air bubbles, and I tried running insulin through just to see if I could see any air bubbles move through (I went to the fill cannula to do this). Nothing was moving, and there were no drops of insulin coming out. I ran about 7 units through without a drop coming out. When I took the resevoir out and used a plunger from the new resevoir I could easily push insulin through. I then rewound the pump and put it back in and could easily prime insulin out and get insulin through using the fill cannula. It was as if at first the pump just wasn't pushing any insulin through until I rewound the pump which caused it to start working again. I feel very sure the high BG he had that night was because there was no insulin being pushed through by the pump, and I wondered how often this was happening. So I called Medtronic and they said not to use that pump, we should get our new one tomorrow.

The hardest part about pumping to me is trusting the pump, and all the extra variables that go with it. But 3 days into shots and we can't wait to get the new pump! I hope you can figure out the problem you are having. I do find the nights to be the hardest to control, whether he is on shots or the pump.

13. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Haven't had to replace it yet.

14. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We have been pumping around 10 years...and probably have replaced the pump in warranty 6 times or so, for various reasons.

I think you are expecting too much if you think you will never hit 200's or 60's because you are using a pump. I don't care which pump.

15. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Thank you all for the replies. Believe me, it's not that I'm not expecting to hit the 200's or the 60's...we do at least hit the 200's a couple of times a day :eek:. But...I do worry when I can't find any pattern at all after 3-5 days of very wild numbers, changing sets and wasting insulin. Having gone through one pump, it makes me nervous. I'm glad to know that Medtronic seems to have good customer service no matter how many times they have to replace the pump. :cwds:

16. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Since MM had that recall on the reservoirs for the leaking problem, maybe you still have a bad batch and that could be the problem? We have those days too where you just can't figure out why there is absolutely no pattern in BGs, it's the nature of the beast.

I've had my dd's ping replaced once. She had the first pump since summer of last year but she only began using it april of this year. It was replaced because it would say it delivered insulin, but it didn't