- advertisement -

How Often Does Your Child Test at School?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lisanc, Sep 19, 2012.

1. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Teacher inferred to me that they think Maddie tests too much at school, which I promptly said it is her business. But I am curious if she does.

We test before she eats, before P.E., before major test, & if she feel low ... what do you all do?

Lisa

2. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Oh boy. Tell the teacher to butt out. Vincent tests before lunch, before PE, End of the day/Before Cross Country, After Cross Country and anytime he feels low...which lately has been about twice a day.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Who is the teacher to decide that she is testing too much?

The way that Hana's schedule is this year, she technically only has to test at lunch (doesn't start school until 9. Lunch is at 12:30 and comes home at 3). However, she will test if she feels high, low, if she thinks she needs to before a test or PE. Last year, just because how her schedule was (new school this year) she tested generally 3 times a day (lunch, snack, and if low).

4. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

The only time DD MUST test is before lunch. That being said, she usually checks one or two more times during the day, if she is feeling funny. Her PE class is in the morning shortly after breakfast so she doesn't check then.

I didn't check to see how old your DD was, but I don't think that sounds like too much testing at all. Is the teacher concerned it is taking away from class work?

5. Mommy To 4

Mommy To 4 Approved members

My daughter is younger, but she tests before lunch, before snack, before PE, before the bus ride home, and anytime she asks to, as well as anytime her CGMS alarms. It is a lot but we have caught several lows with this routine.

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Sounds like Maddie is doing a great job. Why does the teacher care? Does she find it disruptive or something?

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Mid morning
    Before lunch
    Before tests
    Before PE

Anytime she damn well feels like it too:p

You're daughter is doing great!

8. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

My 5th grader tests right before I drop him off (8:20) at snack (10:30) at lunch (12:00) before PE and any other time he feels like he needs to. Lately he's been low or going low when I pick him up from school at 2:50, so he may need to check before he leaves the building.

Makes me so frustrated when teachers / people give unsolicited advice, most the time it's the "my so-and-so had diabetes" song and dance.

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

During school hours, ds11 checks between 8 and 9am (2hrs post breakfast), before lunch, before PE, sometimes after PE, and shortly before leaving school. He also checks anytime he feels symptomatic. He typically checks every two hours. It gives him comfort to know he's not too low or too high. During the week, ds will check an average of 12 times (including his time at home).

I would ask the teacher to kindly NOT comment on my child's testing. It's hard enough to make sure our children are doing what they need to do to ensure their health without someone's uneducated opinions possibly contaminating our children's attempts to do what we and their doctors have asked of them.

10. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Ds age 6 tests
    9am - 2hrs post breakfast
    10:50 - lunch
    12:45 - on PE days which is 30 min after lunch/recess
    3:30 - before getting on bus to come home

he has also been tested at other times based on how he is acting (going low or too high) at the para or teachers request which is completely fine with me as I want them to learn how he acts at different times

We set up these testing times based on when his PE and recess times are and if he is not at 120 or higher he doesn't go to PE or at 100 he doesn't get on the bus and I have to go get him.

11. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

Same here.

One of the biggest reasons for a poor A1c is inadequate testing. There is no penalty for too many tests other than sore fingers.

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia is in 7th grade and tests before lunch and major tests. She also tests whenever she feels low/sick, just feels she needs to.

Once PE starts in second semester she'll test before that too.

I would like her to test at the end of the day before getting on the bus but she often forgets. Thankfully this year her cousin is on the bus with her and they keep an eye on one another (her for diabetes, him for severe food allergies). So that eases my mind a bit.

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler tests before lunch, and before gym, and any other time he feels the need.
    He also tests at the end of the school day, either when he is in the car with me, or before he starts walking with friends.

Even though it is only 2 tests during an average school day (non-gym days), he also tests before breakfast, before dinner, before bed and before and after sports and I test him at least 2 times during the night, and he will test if it's been awhile since he tested and he is eating. So on an average day, with no highs or lows he tests around 9 times a day, which would average out to testing around every 2 - 3 hours.

14. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Our Daughter tests after morning recess, before lunch, before PE and 20 minutes after pe (or before snack if it is close), before snack, anytime the Hi/low alarm goes off on the dexcom, anytime she is behaving "odd" (ok figure out what is odd behavior in a kindergartener) and anytime she tells her teacher she feels odd.

works out to 3-5 times a day at school most days, sometimes lots more however. School and Teacher have had no problems with it, in fact they called us the other day to ask if they should be testing more

15. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Thanks for all of the replies!!

That was basically my response as well ... she tests when she damn well wants to!

Long story short ... fellow student passed out when she saw her prick her finger ... and then suddenly the questions came ... like wouldn't she rather test in private ... my response was "Nope!" ... but she will be sensitive to student and not test around them. It is actually a friend and both she and her friend are okay with it. Apparently, she passes out even if she goes to the doctor's office! I told the school what if someone scrapes their knee or hurts themselves in P.E., then what?

At any rate, I think school came to senses ... and it is now business as usual. Many friends came up to Maddie & told her that they knew she was upset for upsetting friend and that is was ok.

But it was a nice double check to see that we are not outside the "normal" range for testing. They had me doubting myself for a minute.

Thanks again guys for chiming in!! Great to have this site!!!

16. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

My daughter does full-day Kindergarten.

She tests before snack, before lunch, before bus and anytime she feels off. She has PE twice a week (after snack one day and after lunch the other). So we don't bother to test her then since she has just tested and eaten.

17. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

This is us. On a good day, this is the only time she tests. She eats breakfast at 7:45 and then has a snack at 10. If we tested then her PDM would try to correct her even though she still has IOB (PDM issue, irritating). If she is feeling great and her lunch number is good then that might be the only time. She is free to test any time she feels like she needs to though. Her teacher is in contact with me regularly about any issue they might encounter so I am comfortable with it. I also told them I'd rather them test too much rather than not enough.

18. type1skillset

type1skillset Approved members

Maybe understanding is the key

Having lived with type 1 since I was 2 this saddens me. My suggestion however is rather than being confrontational with the teacher, providing her with the evidence of why your child is testing and what implications it has for her later on in life may be of benefit. One great study that you could probably find numerous summaries of online is the DCCT trial which showed children who had more intensive management faired a lot better later in live (which includes testing more). Another one is DECODE which showed testing after a meal and ensuring values were in range, resulted in 2 times less chance of death. No one who is a teacher concerned for the well being of students could look at this and not gain an understanding of what is going on.
    Ignorance of type1 is common place and we all have a role to play in being understanding and assisting with a change in attitudes. Hope that helped.

19. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Before eating (lunch/snack), before PE, and anytime she feels she needs it. Her teacher felt bad that she was getting poked so much. I told her to get over it. That she (the teacher) was the only one who felt bad about it. I don't and neither does Meredith. I think it's more of the reality of the pokes for the teacher. We're used to it and she's seeing if up close and personal for the first time.

20. Parla

Parla Approved members

She tests before lunch, before gym and before getting on the bus. This is the first year that I insisted that I want her checking highs and lows in the classroom and not having to go to the nurses office for it. Some days she checks two or three times and treats if necessary. There was about a week where she was testing because she thought she was low but she was always around 100. The nurse supervising our school mentioned that she wanted Jessica to feel comfortable and not feel the need to test all the time. I just said that she should test whenever she felt like she needed to. Seriously? The best way for a T1D to feel "comfortable" is to know what their blood sugar is. That's not my only complaint about that nurse though.