- advertisement -

How often do you test your blood sugar?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sunni, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Sunni

Sunni Approved members

I need some help, my endo told me I need to check my blood sugar more often but I don't know how many times a day or what times I should check so..... How often do you guys check your blood sugar per day and what times do you normally check? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My daughter is 10 and we check anywhere from 6-12 times a day. Just depends on the day and what is going on. But given a normal day here is when she would check:

Wake-up/breakfast
    snack at school
    lunch at school
    before the bus ride home
    dinner time
    snack
    bedtime

However, most days we have a bunch of activities going on. So if she is at swim practice, she would check before getting in the pool and half way thru practice. Same for track practice.
    Now, this doesn't take in to account being low, where she would check and then recheck a few minutes later to make sure she is going up. Or if she is high during a particular check and we correct and then recheck an hour or two later to make sure she is coming back down.
    From what I understand 6 is the minimal - upon waking, before meals and before bed. But the 6 doesn't account for lows, highs, activity, etc.

3. GreenJenny

GreenJenny Approved members

My daughter checks (weekday) 7am(breakfast), 1140am(lunch), 150pm(snack time), 4pm(home from school), 530pm(dinner), 8pm(bed), 11pm(my bedtime), 2am(just 2 am). Obviously, she checks if she feels low or high and additionally if a correction is needed. She is 7 by the way.

4. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

It's great that you are looking at ways to improve your health. Testing is an important part of that equation.

My dd tests every day:

First thing in the morning
    Before lunch
    After school (if there is an activity following - which there ALWAYS is;))
    Before suppper
    Before bedtime
    2:00 a.m.

She also tests anytime she "feels" off.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

How old are you? Do you have type 1 or type 2? What is your insulin regimen? Do you pump or are you MDI? How long have you had diabetes? Are you hypo-aware? What was your last a1C?

To answer your question, I don't check my BG because I don't have diabetes. ;)

6. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

My daughter is 2.5 years old we test 7 to 10 times a day.

12am
    3am
    8am breakfast
    12pm lunch
    3pm snack
    6pm dinner
    8pm bedtime

Sometimes I test at 5am or we test in between those hours if we think she is low or after high activities.

7. Sunni

Sunni Approved members

I'm 15 and have had type 1 since April 2009. I take lantus at night and novolog 70/30 in the mornings. Right now im on MDI but my endo is talking about putting me on a pump. My last a1C was 11 and yes i am hypo-aware.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If your last A1c was 11 and all your endo could suggest was for you to check "more" then you need to get your parents to find you a new Dr.

I remember your prior posts and if I'm recalling correctly this isn't a new situation. I think you really need more that just a standard testing schedule.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh normally tests her blood sugar anywhere from 8-13 times a day.

Times we commonly check are

12am/1am (night check)
    4am/5am (night check)
    7am (breakfast)
    9am (mid morning snack)
    11am (lunch)
    1pm (after lunch)
    3pm (afternoon snack)
    5pm (supper)
    8pm (evening snack)

And then if she feels low or if she wants a snack at a different time.

10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

My dd will be eleven soon and checks 8-10 times a day give or take and weekends are different from school days.

When she wakes up
    Before breakfast
    Before lunch
    Before afternoon snack (school days)
    When she gets home
    Before dinner (if more than about 45 minutes since getting home)
    Before bed
    When I go to bed (she's sleeping, I check her)

On gym days she also checks before gym. On soccer days before/during soccer practice/games. And of course more when she feels/is low or high, sick etc.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

An average day is 8:

Breakfast
    2 hours post-snack
    Lunch
    2 hours post-snack

4pm
    Dinner

10pm

2am

However, add in things in such as gymnastics, dance, PE, highs, lows, illness etc. It can go up to 13-15.

I would suggest you start logging the times you test and stick to a schedule. You should really be testing a minimum of 6-8 times a day in addition to any of the above situations I mentioned. If it's too much for you, ask your parents to help, they can help you download numbers and look for your problem areas. You can lower your A1c, it will take work, but you can do it.

As for the doc, they definitely can do more than telling you to check more. Yes, that needs to be done, but there are other things too such as working on your insulin regime, changing ratios, setting up a schedule for you to test. In other words, you probably could use an endo who gives you more guidance.

12. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Keeping in mind I don't know you orany of your previous post, my first question would be how often do you test?

We test my son a minimum of 8 times a day
    1) wake up
    2) breakfast
    3)lunch
    4)snack
    5) pick up from daycare
    6)before dinner
    7) before his bedtime
    8) before my bedtime

13. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

My son, age 8, tests about 8 times per day. In general, it's before meal and snack times, and bedtime, but we've been also testing at midnight and 3:00am since he's been on the pump (we're still trying to get those dang basals at night time right!). In the past five years since out DX, we've tested as few as 4-5 times per day or as much as 10.

Stephanie, mom of Jacob, age 8
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 12-10

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That is good you wish to test more -- that is the key to better management. With an A1c of 11, I would guess you are not having many lows.

MDI usually refers to giving several shots a day (I heard once that it was 3 or more). 70/30 is a very old style insulin usually used on Type 2 diabetics. Going on the pump would be great, but keep in mind would be quite different from what you are doing now -- which is a good thing. You need to do something to lower that A1c.

15. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

My son tests approximate 8 - 14 times a day. For instance today he woke up at 4.3 but seemed low after not getting up so checked again he was 3.4. Gave juice checked again 3.3 so you see there are many times where there are extra pokes. Despite all this checking we still have trouble getting a1c's below 8.0. So frustrating.

16. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I think we have a tendency to overcheck here, but we are newly diagnosed, trying to look for some patterns following som common foods, and currently tackling some lows....as well as getting a handle on exercise.

We test somewhere between 8-13 times....8 or less usually on weekends, closer to 13 when we hit lows or in activity days. Still checking twice at night too to see what Lantus is playing at on a given day.

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If your A1C is 11 that means your average bg is likely around 269. And as Sarah and Wendy alluded to, that means that the number of times you test is probably less important right now than other things. Things like figuring out if your basal insulin amount is correct, if your bolus insulin ratios are correct, etc. I really hope you talk to your parent about these things soon. Good luck...