- advertisement -

How often do you read books about diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Feb 21, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Wow. I'd never been on the "Books" section of this site, but just went on and was astounded by all of the titles. Must admit that, except for the kids books sent home with my son at dx, I've never read a book about diabetes.:eek: I adore reading, and can go through a book or two a week...which makes it kind of odd that I've never read any books on D. After dx, I relied on my sister and my son's endo team for help and advice. Once I found this forum, I learned even more. Have considered reading "Think Like a Pancreas," but have yet to pick it up.

Was wondering how much others read/research about D? For those NOT new to D, do you learn a lot from books that you don't already know or can't learn here? I know Christopher has a nice list of recommendations he provides to newcomers. Was wondering what others consider the best books for those maybe not new to D? I think that, once my son reaches adolescence, I'll be reading some of those dealing with teens and D type of books!;) For now, I'm wondering if I'm missing out by not reading more about D.:confused:

2. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I basically just have a few that I have read and refer back to. I did buy the new Think Like a Pancreas this weekend, though, and will be reading it soon. :D

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I've been reading one called Not Dead Yet about the guy who founded Team Type 1. My daughter saw the title and refused to hear it. When she saw me reading it without her, she asked about the title and decided it wasn't so bad since his mom had been told he wouldn't live to 25 and he was 28 at the time of the writing.:D

4. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

When I was diagnosed, my parents read whatever they could find. I'm sure they'd say read everything you can find.

5. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

I also read Not Dead Yet by Phil Southerland. AMAZING! I think it is a must-read. There is so much hope lying in the pages of his book. He is truly an incredible person.

Also read Diabetes Rising, which is more facts, figures and assumptions on causes. It was interesting but not so much helpful on a day-to-day, either with actual treatment or with giving you hope to keep fighting.

I want to read Think Like A Pancreas, but just have not made the time to sit down with it.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I have on my Kindle to read (starting soon, just finished a gianormous book about Catherine the Great for book club)

Beating the Odds by Richard Vaughn:cwds:

Not Dead Yet

Breakthrough the Book:
    http://www.facebook.com/breakthroughthebook

My husband read it, said it was very good. We met the author, he was really nice.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

When Jack was diagnosed, I read, well, all of them. Over and over, until I started understanding them. Now, you couldn't pay me to read one, unless I'm doing something like consulting Hanas for sick day care. Honestly, I'm not sure there's anything new I could get from a book at this point.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I have several D books on my shelves but I mostly lend them to newly dx'd families now. I have just recieved "Your Diabetes Science Experiment" by Ginger Vieira which I have found to be GREAT! Well worth reading.. even after doing this for nearly 10 years.. :cwds:

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I just put Think Like A Pancreas on my iPad.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I bought tons of books the first couple of years. Read a few. Currently into chick-lit.;) My mind could only cope with thinking *this* much.