- advertisement -

How often do you check BG daily?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maciasfamily, Apr 10, 2012.

1. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

I was curious since it seems everyone has a wide range of BG checks a day.

We currently check 4 times a day. Meal times and then bedtime.

I noticed with the pump it says to check 10-12 times a day when first getting started, but it can be less after that...so what is the 'less' amount?

I realize the reasoning for more checks, but is it based more on age and activity level whether it be injections or pump?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Your son might be honeymooning, with such a recent diagnosis. Some people experience more stability whilst honeymooning. I need to check 10-12 times per day, whether on shots or injections, because:

1) I check before every time I eat, usually 4-6 times per day.
    2) I check roughly every 2 hours throughout the day even if I'm not eating, because I rarely feel lows and only sometimes feel highs.
    3) I check every time before I drive.
    4) I check before I go to bed.
    5) I check whenever I feel unusual.
    6) I check before exercise. And after exercise. And 30 minutes into exercise.

I swear, it's surprising that that only usually adds up to 10-12 times! Some days I have had to test more like double that, but that's unusual.

The only time my BG checks are reduced is when I'm wearing CGMS (continuous glucose monitor) where I do more like 4-8 tests per day. That's a big part of why I like CGMS.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

On a good day:

2am
    630am (breakfast)
    1140 lunch
    230 pm snack
    6pm dinner
    10pm

Then we have the days with other activities:
    Dance we check pre/during/post
    Track pre/during/post
    Ski pre/during/post then another 2 hours after
    PE pre/post

In addition we have to check additional times when low or high and then sick days which depending on illness can be every 3 hours. We check when she feels off or looks off.

As you can see, the amount of checking depends on activities, numbers, illness. Pumps vs. injections doesn't matter always, you have to take each situation into consideration. We defintely check more on the pump than MDI, but it's because my daughter is older, more active and she has several basal plans.

4. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I do a fasting, a before supper/dinner and and before bedtime. Since I've been a diabetic for so long I can tell when I'm low, so whenever I feel low, I'll check to see just how low I am. Because I haven't gotten to the point where I can tell how low is low. :D

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have a CGM now, so less than we did without it. Before CGM, we probably averaged 8-10 checks a day, with at least two of them coming between the hours of midnight and 8am.

6. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

DD's log reports average her BG checks this week at 11.6 per day :p (last week, avg 13)

Plan most days: fasting, breakfast, post breakfast / lunch (on school days it's one check, weekends two separate), post lunch, pre dinner, post dinner, bedtime (sometimes that's just one,but rarely), and twice overnight. Thats 8 - 10 planned BG checks.

Reality most days: a low adds a minimum of two, a high that we correct adds one extra if we're lucky, sports of any kind adds pre, during, and post provided she has no lows. The most we've tested in a given 24 hour period? About 23 - stubborn low :(

If we get a cgm, I anticipate she'll still check 6 -8 times. Not sure what others on CGM actually do, but our rep says to verify always. I figure for us that means verify before we intervene of if symptoms don't match.

7. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

We check before every we eat, usually 4-5 times per day (3 meals and 2 snacks). We also check if she is tired, hungry, been playing hard or sick. We get an average of 6.5 to 8.2 times/ day from our last 3 visits. The endo growles at us about checking often but our DD is not self aware of either highs or lows. Because of this we are not comfortable with letting just BS managment and carb counting be the only tool for our management. We are also not afraid of any food and let her eat a wide variety of foods that are difficult to determine the carbs in or foods that have a delayed BS spike. Because of this a check at 2.5 to 3 hours and sometimes in the middle of the night.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

When my son was first dx and on MDI, and poking him was so traumatic (mostly for ME), I only checked 4 Xs per day, too (unless he was sick). But, when he started pumping and I started taking a more active role (rather than depending on his endo team so much), the checks definitely increased. On a "normal day" we check

Before breakfast
    Before recess
    After recess (which is before his lunch period)
    Before Dinner
    Before Snack
    10:30/11 pm
    Overnight as needed

However, it is rare that these are the only times we check. If he goes for a bike ride or on the trampoline, we check (before and after). He sometimes feels low at school, and there is one or two checks for that. He gets checked before gym class or any extra outside activity at school. If I get up to check on any of my kids, I check his BG, too. Lately, he says he feels low right before he goes to sleep...but I think that is more "I want to see mom" thing:rolleyes: (like "Can I have a drink?"). Guess BG checks aren't that awful if he uses them to delay bedtime!

I guess it usually averages out to 8 or 9 per day.

9. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

We check 10 - 12 times a day.

10. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We tend to check around 10 times a day:

First thing in the morning
    Before her snack about 2 hours into school
    Before lunch
    After PE
    After school
    Before Dinner
    Before Bed
    At midnight or one, depending on when I am heading to bed.

Plus anywhere from 1-5 more times between those if Sophie is feeling low or off.

11. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

For those with toddlers, do you check as often? I notice most of you are parents of kids in school.

He does go to daycare and they do play....but not like sports...

So if we start pumping I can see this as an idea based on your suggestions:

before breakfast (6:30/7:00)
    before AM snack (9:00)
    before Lunch (11:00)
    before PM snack (3:00)
    before dinner (6:00)
    at (our not his) bedtime (9:30)
    and then once/twice during the night

Any other times/suggestions?

12. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We average 8-10 times a day.

1ish am (sometimes I just look at the dexcom but sometimes I test him depending on how accurate the sensor has been)
    4ish am (same as above)
    Before breakfast
    Before lunch
    After school
    Before dinner
    Before bed
    10:30 pm

And before/after practice or games

ETA and anytime he feels low/high.

13. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Before CGM about 10-15. Now that we're CGMing 6-10.

14. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

You are right on track with what we do with our 3 year old. While still doing injections (and honeymooning--he got almost no insulin for the first four months, so there wasn't much chance of a scary low), we typically checked 4 times a day (I had no idea that others checked more!). When we started pumping, we had to check constantly, but we got it down to what you have just listed on a typical day(except we tested him before his bedtime snack at 7:45 and not again until midnight. Now that we use the CGM, we check 5-6 times on a good day and way more on a bad one! I think frequency of testing relates less to age than to individual physiology, personal preference, and degree of hypo unawareness.

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly went from 12 to 10 and now hovers between 7 and 9/day almost 2 yrs. post dx.