- advertisement -

How often do you change the lancet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ellen, Apr 2, 2006.

1. wellsfamily

wellsfamily Approved members

I'm confused. I thought you were supposed to change the lancet every time. You are talking about the lancet that goes in the pen which you use to test BS right? I have never used one more than once, as I thought it would be damaging to the finger. That being said, we are less than five months into diagnosis.
    Heather

2. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

You are correct....

You are supposed to change it every time..at least that is what we were taught !

3. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Every morning

I change Ben's lancet every morning.
    I'm paranoid about changing them as he is only 2 and I am fully responsible for everything right now.
    I'm sure when he's older and assumes the responsibilty he will not change them as often but for now I don't feel I have the right to be lazy as I'm not the one with diabetes.:eek:

4. CHEKA

CHEKA New Member

how often do you change the lancet

we are pricking on the big toes which she hardly feels and dont change lancests very often maybe once every 2 weeks!!!!

5. jvoyles

jvoyles Guest

About 6 times per year is the average.

6. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Can I ask if you all have to pay for lancets???

7. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

Yes

We have to pay for lancets , but they are by no means expensive and they are fully covered , at least for us they are. I found this post very interesting.

8. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Mine are covered, but I don't change it every time just cause it's easier to just prick and go. :) Laziness is what it comes down to....

9. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Ours are free on our insurance plan, we have about 12 boxes in the cabinet because we use a company that automatically refills our Rx. We will never use them all! :rolleyes:

10. jvoyles

jvoyles Guest

The lancets are covered by my prescription plan. It's not a matter of cost that we don't change the lancet, it's a matter of why bother as long as it works. (Laziness)

11. diabeticgirl101

diabeticgirl101 Approved members

Mojo's mommy is right- you :eek: ARE :eek: supposed to change it every time~ We were told you can get infections if you use a lancet more than once! Would you use a insulin needle more than once?

12. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

... a little less often since reading this thread! We were changing diligently every time but Aaron is doing it once or twice a day now and finding it quite a bit more convenient -- especially for a quick check in the middle of a basketball game or something like that.

13. momof2

momof2 Approved members

Hi all

We change Ben's lancet every time he checks his blood. Luckily here in the Uk, we are covered by the NHS, and do not have to pay for children's prescriptions.

I know we are only 3 weeks into diagnosis, but we were taught to change it every time, and that's what we've been doing.

Anyone else change it every blood sugar test?

Bit worried we may be being over precautious?????

Regards

:confused:

14. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

There isn't a thing wrong with changing it every time -- we've been doing it for 7 months and I'm sure it is the ideal. That said, it seems to me the risk of infection with reusing something that was sterile to start with and has only ever touched your own skin briefly is pretty low -- a lot less than getting a sliver, say, or stepping on a tack! And it is nice to know the world doesn't end if you skip a few, especially for an older kid on the go. It just saves him "fiddly time" so he's more willing to test frequently, and gives him less "sharps" garbage to bring home with him.

15. jvoyles

jvoyles Guest

Actually it is not unheard of to re-use the insulin needle too.

16. amberngriffinco

amberngriffinco Approved members

Every few wks.. I've never gotten an infection and I do NOT share it! At times I'll test my DS or DH, but i use a fresh one on them.

Now, let's talking about changing out infusion sites.. lol THAT is a hot topic!

amber
    CO

type I 35yrs
    Pumping 10 yrs

17. dawnegge

dawnegge Approved members

We change it before every use.

18. CinaRay

CinaRay Approved members

HI Im Cindy Ray , I am mother who take a care of diabetes daughter that she has it in four years now. I know it is a lot of work and deal with it. I learned about changing lancet. I did thought suppose to chance two time a week but Im wrong. Nurses and Doctor told me must change every singles days. If dont changed the dead blood in the needles and will carry infection and will mess up in blood glocose in the meter. I just do what I was told. I guess...

19. mom2emily

mom2emily Approved members

Really???

Ok, don't think I am being dense here, but are you talkng about the lancet that pokes their finger? I use a new one everytime. Is it ok not to?:confused:

20. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

As you can tell from the variety of responses, some people change every day and other every now and then. The official response from any medical person is that the lancet should be changed each time. In practice, some folks let this slide. Whether or not this is OK seems to be a matter of opinion from the non-medical people.

If you are changing the lancet each time, this is a good practice to continue. However, the consequences will probably not be dire should you forget to change it.