- advertisement -

How often do you change the lancet?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomOf2Boys-J.C., Nov 13, 2008.

1. MomOf2Boys-J.C.

MomOf2Boys-J.C. Approved members

It's been a little over 2 weeks since Josiah was dx'd and I think he's changed the lancet maybe 4 times since then (you would think after a while it would just stop getting blood but apparently not :rolleyes:) But how often do your kids change the lancet?

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I change my lancet when it gets too dull to pierce my finger. A good time to remember to change it is every time you change the clocks for daylight savings ;)

3. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Once a day...if I remember...he never does.:rolleyes::cwds:

4. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

I think Christian twists it when he doesn't get blood and he realizes he hasn't changed it for a while. I had heard somewhere that if you use duller lancets it causes more of a callous. I don't know if that is true or not.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

With the Freestyle lite I try to change it every time - so maybe it actually gets changed every other time:rolleyes:. The Pelikan advances a new lancet with each use, so those are always new.

6. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We do not change it as often as we should, hence the reason we really like the multiclix alot more convenient.. :)

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I went from changing it every single time, because the diabetes nurse said so, to changing it if/when I remember. I was breezing through those things way too fast. One box of 100 lancets should last me well over a year.

ETA: If I get her really good, and there's already a drop of blood before I start squeezing, I'll change it then.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You are supposed to change them? ;)

This is one of those topics that is very specific to each individuals preference, so you should do what makes sense for you. I try and change them every time, the thinking being that the sharper the lancet, the less damage to the skin. But the reality is that it is often changed every day or so.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I change Tylers every morning, it's just part of my morning routine now. If he is tests alot during the day or I think his hands weren't as clean as they could have been, I will change it then also.

10. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Thats kind of one of my little things I want to get better at this year.
    I finally found that if I keep a little container of new lancets near computer, when Idownload meters I change them then, I'm trying todownload all the meters every few days.

11. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Yep, me too. I have 5 or 6 multiclix that I use with each meter , I usually turn them when one of these threads come up:rolleyes:
    Since daylight savings time was recent, I am good for awhile,LOL
    I set the time on my meters and pump, turned the dial on the multiclix and put batteries in the smoke detector.

In reality, change it as often as you are comfortable.

I have been at this 18 years, no infections, no calluses.Sometimes it hurts , sometimes it does not. If it bothers me , I turn the dial or change the lancet.
    If I am testing someone else, I will get out a regular clicker as I call them and put in a new lancet and wipe the cap with alcohol, when done , I throw that lancet in the sharp's ( a big coffee can or tide bottle)container.

I probably still have the original box of lancets somewhere, they were probably a box of 100 and 98 remain:eek:

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

About 2x a week. I used to religiously change them every morning, and worried if I didn't. Now I'm actually proud I remember to change them.:D

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We probably advance it every second or third poke. Our insurance covers them 100% and I've got a billion of them in the supply closet, so there's no reason we shouldn't.

14. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Not all that often, truth be told. When I remember, or when the blood drop looks like a comma instead of a period. :rolleyes:

15. Jboudo01

Jboudo01 Approved members

Ditto - we use multiclix and "twist" it every morning....part of our routine.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

yes, it's a bad sign when the drip makes a grammatical mistake:D

17. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

We change our before each poke. I heard it's much less painful to have new lancet and am hoping to ease any scarring on those tiny little fingers...:rolleyes:

18. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

We change ours every time we test him.

19. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I turn (sam has the multilix) every morning....if I remember. We usually go through one multiclix drum a week.

20. fossmommy

fossmommy Approved members

We change the lancet every single finger stick! Of all the supplies, they are the cheapest... I bought three boxes of 100 each for $7. I figure better to keep everything clean to prevent an infection!