- advertisement -

How Often do You Change Pump Sites?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by stevecu, May 5, 2011.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

For us, J goes through a reservoir in about two days. I don't want to change his site that often. We have been doing it Wednesday and Sunday lately. Although last night we had to change due to a Hi on the meter, so that schedule is thrown off now.

We just change his reservoir when it gets to 20 units (lower than that and he gets air in the tubing for some reason) and change his site every three to four days.

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We could never figure out how to make the set change and cartridge change coincide. Every day, Molly ate a different amount of carbs and so we were either running out of insulin before the site change or wasting a lot left in the cartridge at site change time. Now, she just changes out the cartridge and grabs a new tubing when she gets the 10 unit warning. We just order less cartridges than infusion sets now.

3. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I could easily get 3 and usually do get 3....the endo office however...is kind of anal about this and always asks me ...one time I went to 4 days..no problems and then changed it..I do try for 2 days..but life happens. we never went longer than 4 days..3 tops. Now that I am healthier and off chemo..its 2 days..:)

4. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

I am a firm believer in doing what works even if it's unconventional. For me, that means changing my site every 7 days on average. (I don't keep close track; my reservoir empties after 6 days and I always carry over the same site for another day or two). In almost 13 years of pumping my numbers have been strong, with my a1c never above 6.4. Could it cause scarring and/or absorption problems? Maybe. But I haven't seen any evidence yet.
    I've only used silhouettes so maybe that explains it; I don't know.
    If my numbers start going haywire I might adjust the interval but I really don't expect that.
    Should others do this? I can't answer. What my experience tells is the "3-day rule" is only a best guess (and a marketer's dream) and that real life experience seldom fits into a nice box.
    Like so many other D issues, everybody should find an approach that works from a clinical and emotional standpoint. There really is no wrong answer as long as the numbers are good.

5. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Wow, that's great that that works for you. I think I'll leave something like that for Sean to decide for himself as an adult.

My goals are:

1) Control BG (obviously)

2) Minimize risk of scarring or infection

3) Get on a schedule that will help reduce the number of times I forget to change the site until he has a No Delivery error. (he never tells me about the Low Reservoir).

What I do now is try to fill the reservoir with 2 1/2 - 3 days worth of insulin, and just change everything as close as possible to bone dry without actually running dry (I'm trying not to waste any Novolog right now because it's now at tier 3 for us).

The problem is that sometimes that's means a site change either at bedtime, or before school - both bad times for us since his sites take a while to get "settled" and actually deliver insulin. There have even been a couple of times when I'll realize in the middle of the night that I missed a Low Reservoir and he's on fumes (---) at 3 am and I have to do a site change while he's asleep.

I don't think he's had any scarring so far, but I do see the little white spots from previous sites that seem to take forever to go away. He's lean and also wears a CGMS, so real estate is at a premium when it comes to site rotation - left of navel, right of navel, left hip, right hip. No bum, that's off limits these days, and the arms are reserved for CGMS.

Pump supplies are not an issue since they are covered at 100% as DME (the one remaining bright spot this year with UHC).

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm lazy. ;) It's faster to change the site alone than to do the whole thing. So I fill the reservoir with approximately 6 days worth of insulin.

We would accumulate reservoirs like crazy too, but I only reorder when we get down to about two boxes of them.

7. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We're on auto-refill with MM so, I have to call them and tell them not to send reservoirs one of these days.

So obviously, you don't have trouble with the insulin going bad over six days. when you change the site do you change the tubing and re-prime, or just pitch the new tubing and do a fixed prime only?