- advertisement -

How Often do You Change Pump Sites?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by stevecu, May 5, 2011.

1. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We could easily get 4 days out of a reservoir, but I've always been reluctant to go beyond 3.

We have very few site site failures usually only for a kinked canula. I have a fear of creating scar tissue.

2. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

I wish we could get three days out of ours! We change our son's every two as it seems to get kinked (probably due to activity, and little fat on his body) and we seem to have insulin delivery issues by the end of the 2nd day. He started wearing a pump last December, and its always been this way for us - I've tried letting it go a third day, them I'm always sorry (not fun changing a site at 3:00 am!). If you've been able to get almost four days (without seeing BG's creep up the last day, or not had any problems with infections), that's fantastic!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, Pumping with MM Revel since 12-10

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

every two to three days.. some people change just the site and will use the reseveroir again.. sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't. If we're in a hurry and there is plenty of insulin for the next three days, I'll let it go.. drives my husband crazy though. ;)

4. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

We change on Wednesday nights and Sunday morning. So about 3 1/2 days. Have pushed it to 4 1/2 days at times, but not worth it, waiting for the site to go bad. We also have it worked out pretty well to do a new cartridge on the same days as a site change.

We went to this schedule because it's easy to remember when the site needs to be changed out. Before we changed every 2 days, but that was too hard to keep track of.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I usually do every 2 days but sometimes it is 3 - we use the steel sets and this was the recommendation. So far his skin looks excellent.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Every 3-4 days. We change tubing and reservoir every 6 days.

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We change every 3-4 days. I usually just put enough insulin in the resv. to last that long. If I thought a site has gone bad too early, I have left the reservoir and tubing and just changed the site. Generally, I like to just change it all at once.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Every two but we fill the cartridge to last at least 3 days. We hardly ever switch out the two at the same time which is kind of nice because it's just less steps.

9. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Jordan is presently on MDI because of baseball (his preference) but when he pumps, we change at 3 1/2 days. Sunday nights and Wednesday morning. Then there is never any confusion as to what day we are on. It makes it easy for us this way. He luckily has had no site issues, maybe because he is older, but I think we're lucky in that aspect! He loves not having to change it but twice a week.

10. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

We do Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings (thanks to someone on this forum!!).. We stick to it pretty well- could probably push it. Our MD told us every 2 days but we figure 2 a week is 100+/yr while 3 a week is 150+ that's a lot of less pokes and less scar tissue over the course of his life.

11. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the scar tissue formation was a result of using the same injection site over and over or leaving the infusion sets in too long. You might want to clarify with your endo.

12. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

That's exactly my concern, but it sounds like those going 3 1/2 or 4 days are not seeing any issues...? Doing it the same two days every week sounds really easy. Every now and then, I'll realize Sean's reservoir is on fumes either at bedtime or right before school - my two least favorite time for a site change.

I see little white spots on him but they seem to just go away after a while, a longer while than I'd like though.

13. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Site Changes

I wonder if age is a factor here - my husband can make his site last 3/4 days, but my 4 year old only gets 2 to 2 1/2 days out of his.

His blood sugar starts to go high without the change. If I try to push it, I usually am sorry later!

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult here and what I have found. Apidra 2.5 days, Novolog 3+ days, Humolog 2.5 days. I use Apidra and change at 2.5 days. Novolog held up the best over time in the pump. I change at three days no matter what because of my concerns with scar tissue development. Ali

15. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

yep us too. we change every two and a half days, definetely can't do three.

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well resivour and Site changes are almost never at the same time, at our house.

If your just are talking about the 'physical"site on the body, then, well, we often go 4 days when I lose track. (which is too often).

Best answer I can give you.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I should add that I beleive ta Apidra and a close to the body pump 24/7 is one of our main issues. I generally change the insulin in the res. at about 1.5 o 2.5 days of a "site". If after an insulin change, things don't settle down within 4-6 hours, than I will consider a site issue.

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We found the same thing on one son. THe other one can go 3 days on Apidra. Now with one son on Novolog again and the other one on Apidra we continue to change sites every three days which we have done for 10 years. We used to fill up the cartridge and change the tubing and site every three days and the cartridge every six days. Did that a number of years. May go back to it on the son with Novolog. I was afraid to do that on Apidra thinking it was more heat sensitive.

19. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Wednesday nights and Sunday afternoons. We could NEVER remember to do site changes every three days. We marked calendars, used a Sharpie and wrote on the site itself, etc.., and we'd still forget. So, for us, we decided to change on church days. Easy to remember...have church, change site. As far as reservoirs go, we usually change reservoirs more often than sites. We almost never change them at the same time.

20. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Wow, I am utterly amazed at the number of people that change reservoir and tubing/site on different days.

Why not fill the reservoir to the level needed for the anticipated life of the site? Insurance? Do some of you pay out of pocket for reservoirs? We've accumulated so many reservoirs over the years I have trouble storing them (we usually don't change the reservoir if the site comes out or otherwise fails).