advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you calibrate your Dexcom G4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Shopgirl2091, Jun 19, 2013.

?

How often do you calibrate your Dexcom G4?

1. Every 12 hours

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Every time I test

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Never, I just ignore the calibration sign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We have been CGMing for about a week and I am just curious - how often do you calibrate? Do you feel it is more or less accurate with more or less calibration?

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Generally - 12 hours

Generally I calibrate every twelve hours. However, as most people do, I calibrate it again if it is way off.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We probably do 3, maybe 4 in a 24 hrs period. When it requests one, obviously, but also if the numbers are nice and steady and also if the calibration request is on a bad schedule for us, like the middle of the night or during school then we'll calibrate earlier to reset the clock

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I need an "other"....it's definitely more than every 12, but not EVERY test. I think, particularly in the first few days of a new sensor, the more you calibrate the more it learns, but it's probably somewhere in the range of every 6-8 hours, so maybe 3-4 times in a 24 hour period, vs the recommended 2.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I didn't vote as none fit our situation. We enter BG every time it's off by more than around 15% unless we know BG is rapidly rising or falling.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

In between. First day, we usually calibrate every test, then it drops to 3-4 times a day.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Generally 3x's a day. So, I did not vote.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is what we do.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I voted every time I test, but i only test about twice per day now.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Twice.

When it is right on

and

When it is off

Honestly, the the only real daily cal we do is first thing in the AM with the breafast BG test. Then I use the above criteria to cal.

11. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Every time, unless BG is falling or rising really fast.
    Shopgirl, do you love your G4? We do! Very much! :)

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

It depends. If she's with me, every check. But when she's off with a friend, school etc, only if she texts me and I remind her etc. She feels her lows very much so hates the Dex and doesn't yet see the point of it so basically ignores it as much as possible. Sigh.

13. dianas

dianas Approved members

With Dexcom I was taught by the reps to calibrate at all levels of bg ( ie high sugars, in range, and mild lows) early in the life of a sensor and I have personally found this to be helpful so the first day or two I may calibrate up to 4 times a day to catch a broader range of blood sugars.

After that I tend to calibrate twice a day or when it's off. When it's off I've also learned the hard way to repeat the fingerstick first as lots of times it's actually the meter reading that was off.

Like others I avoid calibrating during times of rapid change.

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

This is what we do, as well.

15. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We do love ours! I am amazed to follow the trends and see things that make him spike. Last night we caught him dropping low very fast, and it was so nice to be able to catch it - because he gives me no sign at all.

It is such a wonderful device to have :)

16. Thornbird

Thornbird Approved members

We've had ours for only 3 days now, and I've found myself calibrating it often. I think when I was first reading the manual and watching the tutorials I thought it would be really bothersome to have to calibrate all the time, but now I realize it's easy to do, and only takes a couple seconds, so I've been doing it about 4 times a day, unless rapidly rising or falling.

Oh and I LOVE it. Love, love, love.

DS is taking a nap right now. Usually (pre-Dex) I would sit and worry that he may be going low, and eventually give in and wake him up so I could test him. Now, I'm sitting here with the receiver (transmitter?- can never remember) watching him stay nice and steady around 130. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....:)

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's the receiver that you read. The transmitter is what clicks into the sensor :cwds:

We love ours as well, call it "Wilson" and it's a godsend

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  18. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Ours is Harold. We calibrate whenever it's way off or it asks.

19. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I didn't have an option that fit my calibrations. We calibrate before each meal, when she is most stable, and then one of us calibrates before WE go to bed. Then, we never get the blood drop because we calibrate more frequently. Its rarely off by more than a few points, and usually that's just the first day.