- advertisement -

How often are you correcting at night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Even though we feel DD basals are set right at night, we are still correcting almost every night due to one thing or another. I am beginning to think that we don't have a handle on it after all. It's either difficult foods causing the highs or colds, etc. I can't remember a night that we haven't had to correct. Can someone tell me if this is what we have to "roll" with, or am I needing to seriously look at basals overnight. Like I say, I analyze and analyze and there are days when correction is not needed that she stays flat (which I contribute to good basals) is that correct?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You kind of answered your own question. If the corrections are due to other factors (food, illness, etc) and you feel your basal dose is correct, then you don't need to mess with the basal.

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We try to keep our kiddo in a pretty tight target range, so we usually correct (either by doing a temp basal to bring his numbers up a bit, or a correction to bring him down a little), pretty much every night. But we correct to 110 at night, and start corrections if he's above 120, so most nights it's .05-.35-ish units or so.

4. L101418

L101418 Approved members

I'm correcting someone every night.

5. ashtensmom

This^^. That's what we are doing too. Mostly it's not a big correction, but nightly its always a tweaking of correcting with around .20 ish units. Just because we don't want her to sit above range all night. Do you check again at around 2 hours when you do these minor corrections? I have been so hence i am so tired, getting up 3-4 times a night.

6. ashtensmom

Two times the fun, oy!

7. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Fun! Weee! I'm actually usually correcting both. We correct to 120 so we have small corrections usually also. After months of knowing nighttime BG behavior I would not recheck a .1 or .2 correction if it's after 2:00am - - BUT that is just us. I stay up or check every 2 hours if they are really high and I'm pushing larger amounts of insulin. Like last night <yawn>.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

It's a good thing to tag back on every once in awhile.

For awhile we were correcting about four times a night, sometimes all treating, sometimes all correcting, sometimes back and forth, and with no rhyme or reason. I was so tired it took me awhile to really see that something was very wrong, because it came on gradually (you know the story about the frog in the pot of water, right? Supposedly you put him in a pot of boiling water and he'll jump out, you put him in a pot of cold water and turn up the heat slowly to boiling and he'll boil to death, he won't be able to tell at what point to jump out).

But now I think we're good, and we correct most nights. We've actually got one "scheduled" correction since she's on MDI and we have to combat the Dawn Phenomenon with a correction most night; beyond that, I'd say on average there are four nights a week we need some other tweak.

If you find you are correcting in the same direction every night, take a fresh look at it.

9. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

Although I am really new to D and to this forum, I'm not sure if I feel qualified to help trouble shoot yet, but Would changing the dinner I:C ratio help? Am I off base here? Or would the insulin be worn off by then? Please correct me if I am wrong:cwds:

10. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I think I am correcting 3-4 times a week. I test 2-3 times a night more if I had to treat a low. If I changed the site I can guarantee I will be correcting or treating that night. It's a crap shoot after that. I am still trying to tighten up his numbers. He goes to bed around 150 - 159 and I like him to wake up between 85 - 120. If he's in the 130's at 3:00am he usually wakes up in range.

11. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We correct most nights - enough that I have had the exact same thought about basal you had - but then have that 1 in 5 nights which proves they're correct.

We correct and check after two hours, then sometimes have to correct and still check again after that as it's usually fat in his dinner coming out late. The odd thing is that my body is so used to getting up in the middle of the night I'm most tired on the days where I had to check only once and not correct. Weird but true.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. manda81

manda81 Approved members

No, we check every 4 hours, generally, unless we suspect something is up.

Most nights, we do 10pm, 2am, 6am.

13. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I do something every night, the night I just get to go to bed are equal to the days I finish everything I needed to do;) I'm not on a cgm and my over night numbers have always been chaotic=( I only correct over 160 though because I wake up when my mom tests me, so if we have even the slightest chance of sleeping through the night we take it=) I'm hoping to get the cgm soon, then we will try to keep me lower at night...(not that we're not trying now, so more like 'might achieve' keeping me lower at night)

14. ashtensmom

So, I know I said that we feel her basal is set correctly, however we did make one adjustment at 7 am as she tends to go a little bit higher upon waking. We upped her basal at 7 am from 0.125 to 0.175. Hopefully this will also help with postprandial highs in the morning. However to avoid a possible low before lunch, we are decreasing the basal earlier in the morning. So, instead of a drop at 10:00 am we do the drop at 8:30 am. Crossing my fingers that she won't be high at lunch (or low mid morning)... Sitting by the edge of the seat this morning.:cwds:

15. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

I often am thankful that I only have 1 t1 to constantly worry over but 2?! and diagnosed days apart?!?! that is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!