- advertisement -

How much sleep is too much sleep

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaTuTu, May 17, 2011.

1. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Isabella seems to be sleeping a lot lately... On average she sleeps 10-11 hours at night and takes a long nap during the day usually between 3-4 hours. I wonder if this has something to do with Diabetes? Like today she fell asleep about 11:50 its now 3:40 and she is still out. I corrected her earlier for high sugar this morning checked her while she was sleeping it was down to 54 :eek: so I gave her 2oz of grape juice in a bottle and rechecked her about 30 min later and she was up to 151 (this was all around 2pm) I just checked again its 170 so her sugar is fine but what should I do??? I wonder if I should wake her up. She sleeps through me checking her BG. Have any of you gone through this kinda stage?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep. When they were toddlers and now that they are teenagers.

3. bisous

bisous Approved members

Actually, my DS DID take naps that long at around that age but this was well before he was diagnosed with Diabetes. I often wonder though his pancreas was already on the descent at that time (it was about a year before his diagnosis).

Having less than ideal blood sugars does make my DS very tired. When we've had a hard night, he often wakes exhausted. I think blood sugars can take away the restorative quality of a night of rest but that is just my observation.

It seems to me that high sugars affect sleep quality more than lows!

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Is it just a growth spurt? My middle child loved to sleep (non D), so much that one time a neighbor said - oh I thought you only had 1 child. I would only wake her up if she can't sleep at night, otherwise...enjoy the quiet time.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

My oldest took 2 two hour naps at that age. Seth that was dx'd with D at 7...I was lucky if I could get 1 hour nap out of him. Some kids just need more sleep than others and she could be growing. Is she eating more too? That said...trust your gut:cwds:

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

My youngest was a big sleeper. I would just think it's normal.

You can just test occasionally, and only wake her up when you think she's going to be up all night.;)

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I didn't have a toddler with d, but sounds more like growth spurt to me. Every time my kids had one at that age, their sleep needs increased.

Like others have said, as long as she's not having trouble sleeping at night I'd let her sleep. My motto was "never wake a sleeping baby!" (within reason of course;))

8. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Thanks girls it most likely is a growing spurt (Ive been kinda thinking that) but last time I thought she was having a growing spurt turned out to be D :cwds: I just don't want to miss something since being so involved with D. She woke up happy as a clam and is down for the night again. I have always been a worry wort...

9. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My non-d daughter slept alot, and still sleeps alot. I think some kids just like to sleep:cwds:

If you are concerned, there is no harm in taking her to the ped. Sometimes peace of mind is worth that co-payment.;)

That is great that she sleeps through you checking her.

10. uscmedmom

uscmedmom Approved members

My son is 17 months old and sleeps A LOT. He usually goes to bed around 8:30-9pm. I usually wake him up around 8:30am. It is RARE for him to be awake when I go in his room. He also naps around 2.5 to 3 hours per day. We also wake him up from his nap. It is again rare for him to be awake. His pediatrician thinks he needs more sleep due to the night checks and wacky numbers. He usually does not get up at night when I check him, but it has to disturb him in some way. Im torn between waking him and letting him sleep. In the mornings, if his blood sugar is okay, I will sometimes let him sleep longer if he doesnt want to get up. Also, the same for his naps.

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

mono? my son had that last year, wiped him out when he's usually bouncing off the walls.

12. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Have you had her thyroid checked recently? I remember before I was dx'd as hypothyroid, I wanted to sleep ALL the time as well.

13. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

I would consider Thyroid, too...right before my dd was diagnosed with hypothyroid she started sleeping a lot more.

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

both my kids were great sleepers....bed at 6:30 -7:00 and slept until 6 or 7am and 2 naps at that age. Both took naps until at least age 5. My nearly adult teenager still regularly is in bed at 9 or 10 and my 10 year old by 8. They just love to sleep.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)