advertisement

How much should we know by now???

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by mumoftwo, Feb 11, 2010.

1. mumoftwo

mumoftwo Approved members

:confused:

How is everyone - I haven't been on here for ages.
    Our son was dx 6 mths ago now. We are finally getting lantus next Friday (should have been done by now but hospital stuffed up!!)
    I read on here about carb counting etc etc. We haven't been taught any of that yet.
    We have took it upon ourselves that we can use novo to get out highs. Our little man is slowly coming out of honeymoon so our insulin is a little off the mark I think. We haven't had appt at clinic since november and I've took it on my/ourself to alter his insulin.
    He is currently on 2 actrapid and 8 protophane for morning - sliding scale novo for tea and just put up this week 4 protophane for evening.
    What should I be asking the endo next Friday at clinic. I feel we have been left holding the 'baby' and not really sure what we are doing. Is this normal? Like how much should we be doing - I feel like we are flying solo by the seat of our pants, we've been doing ok and our little man is happy and taking injections and finger pricking without hassles.
    How many times or units is too much novo during the day. Like if he (only 6yrs old) wants a special food (now) and if he's running high (which we have been) he asks for novo so that he could have it (esp if everyone else is having it for example.) does that make sense?
    Hope someone sees this as this nz area not very well used. I could ask in other threads but the yanks have different ideas etc.
    cheers for any reply
    Nickie
    Christchurch, nz:D

2. MelStan

MelStan Member

Hi Nickie :cwds:
    I'm sending you a PM..

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Hi Nickie. Sounds like you are doing brilliantly, under the circumstances. I will PM you too. Liz

4. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

HI Nickie,

you might want to join the mailing lists (found on the front page of CWD if you scroll down) you'll get more answers from the NZ crew by emailing them all direct.

They're really helpful!