- advertisement -

How much self care does your T1 do on their own?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CameronsMom, May 9, 2012.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is what they make the big toe for ;)!

2. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

My son is 8 1/2 and just starting to give his own injections. I didn't want to put too much responsibility on him too soon. He has been testing himself for years. I'd wait awhile.

3. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

honestly, i'm happy my mom kept my toes poke free. :cwds:
    When my mom woke me up for night checks (for a few years) i wouldn't even remember checking myself half the time.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I have a friend whose daughter was diagnosed at 12 and insisted on doing the overnight checks - actually, I know two. In both cases, mom set the alarm but the daughter wanted to do the check herself, so mom woke up daughter to do the check. I don't get it either but for some, its part I think of controlling something out of control.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think this is a difference that often arises because of the age of the child when diagnosed. Obviously you're not going to wake a 3 year old and ask them to check themselves, so kids who are diagnosed young are used to mom and dad creeping in and doing it, so it's "normal" for them, even as teenagers. When kids are diagnosed older, it's weird and invasive for them, and they probably also haven't learned to sleep through the shock of someone poking their finger. I can say for myself, I'd rather someone woke me and I did my own poke than to have it come out of nowhere when I'm sleeping. :eek:

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, exactly this. My son HATES for me to poke/test and insists on being woken up. Diagnosed at 15, so pretty well established in his routines/privacy.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 13. She's never let me do any sort of poke she's done them all herself by her request. For night checks I load the lancet, put the strip in the PDM then wake her, she pokes, I do the rest she goes back to sleep.

8. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Exactly what the others said. He hates it. We've offered, and he says no every time. They poked him one time at camp without waking him up, and he was very angry about it, and reminded us that he never wants us doing that. I guess because like other said, he was diagnosed later, and he's always done his own pokes, from the very first time at the doctor's office.

Last edited: May 12, 2012