- advertisement -

How much Lantus is your 12+/- year old taking?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hudson_Rocks, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

We keep bumping Hudson's Lantus, seemingly with no results. I found a calculator on the Lantus site and it says for his weight that 12 units is appropriate - I guess that's as a starting point?

Tonight is his 3rd night of 16 units; when can we expect to see positive results once we arrive at the right dose?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

12 units? Is he in puberty? We are on 27.

We have been pumping for 4 years and have recently tried untethered with Lantus. It reminds me why I hate Lantus. As soon as I think I have got her dose right, it raises or lowers. So to answer our question, when can you receive positive results - it is a constantly moving target and, especially at this age, will not be stable for more then a week..

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

Also pumping - on 23 units.

4. Hudson_Rocks

Yes, definitely in puberty - at quite a clip, too! :eek:

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm currently at 9 units Lantus but I used to take a lot more. Changing the timing of the dose made a difference but I think I'm also out of puberty now.
    I didn't know the lantus website offered a dose calculator. I just looked on the website and all I see is the prescribing recommendation for doctors, which says to start type 1 patients on a Lantus dose that is 1/3 of their daily insulin need, and type 2 patients on 10 units, and adjust from there.

6. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Andrew is in full-on puberty, and he is taking 22 units of Lantus daily (MDI). It changes often, too - sometimes by just 1 unit, but that 1 unit can make a huge difference!

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter was on 15.5 units of Lantus in September when we switched to pumping.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son was on 27 units of Lantus when he switched to the pump at age 12. As long as you are testing enough to be sure he isn't going low, I would keep inching the Lantus up.

My son was also 6 feet tall and about 140 lbs at the time.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven is 10, almost 11 and is getting 16 1/2 units right now. This is down from 18 units that he was getting a couple weeks ago and down from the 20 units he was getting 6 months ago. Not sure why but its been working:confused:

Do you have Gary Sheiners book "Think like a pancreas"? He has a really good table in there

Here is what Gary says about Lantus dose for adolescents.

For a mostly inactive CWD .30-1.0 units Lantus per kilogram
    moderately active .30-.75 units per kilo
    very active .25-.60 units per kilo

To find out your childs weight in kilograms, take his weight and multiply by .454
    For Steven is would be 98Lbsx.454=44.49 kilos
    Steven is moderately active so his range for his Lantus dose is:

44 kilos x .30= 13.2
    44 x .75= 33

For Hudson, I would keep increasing by a unit ever 2-3 nights until his night time and morning #s are in range

10. Hudson_Rocks

This is the calculator I was referring to. :)

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For me, a child needs what they need. Period. Does it matter if my 12 year old needs 2 units and yours needs 12? Or if a book says they need 24 and yours needs 12? Would you change the dose based on that? Each body is unique and I think you need to keep raising it till you see it become effective, regardless of what anyone here or any book says.

I understand you wanting to compare, I am not saying that is wrong.

Good luck.

12. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

When I was diagnosed I was 14, I got 21 units of lantus it swayed back and forth from 17-25 for the next 8 months until I went on a pump.

Latnus doesn't always work for everyone, I never got great results from it. I was always low at nigh and high in the morning, it got better when I split teh lantus but then we ran into the problem of remembering to take it in the morning...

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The site also says this is the starting dose. Based on your evidence of high blood sugars, your son needs more insulin.

14. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

My 11 year old (he will be 12 in February) is taking 14 units of Lantus a night. His BG during the day is dropping to below 70, so I almost feel as if this needs to be adjusted or the carb/novolog ratio needs to be adjusted.

15. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

That calculator doesn't go down to my weight! It won't calculate for a weight below 110 lb. But anyhow, 0.2 u/kg is a fairly low dose of Lantus, although come to think of it, that is my current dose. The dose that I was using when I was taking Lantus in the mornings was more between .3 and .5 u/kg.

16. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh is on a pump. But right before she went on the pump she was taking 19 units of Lantus. She was 11 years and 10 months old at the time.

17. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

According to that calculator Ashleigh should be on 12 units of lantus. I think right now her total basal is between 18-19 units.

18. Hudson_Rocks

Yeah that's all I'm doing, is just comparing. Of course I wouldn't adjust his dose based on anything besides his needs/numbers. :)

19. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Lantus has been weird for us. When she was diagnosed they started her on 26. Over the next month we slowly came down. Then, by July she was bouncing between 14 and 16units. They told us to give any lantus change three days to show up, and that advice served us well.

For most of this school year she's been at 12u a night unless at a sleepover (we go down one for those, and it works.) Since Thanksgiving we went back to 13 and find ourselves wishing for half units. We may end up pulling into a syringe. 12 is too little, 13 still results in overnight lows. We can't ask about splitting the dose again b/c insurance is already giving us too few needles.

20. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

I'm glad you asked - I've been wondering about this lately!

Audrey will be 12 in January, and we just moved up to 22 units tonight. It's hard to believe that at the start of the summer, she was only doing 7 units - I guess this is what happens when the honeymoon ends and puberty strikes at the same time! :cwds: