- advertisement -

How much Glucagon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by L101418, Jul 26, 2012.

1. L101418

L101418 Approved members

If your child was unconscious would you use the entire amount?
    To those that have used it, mini or otherwise, how did the child feel after and for how long?

My kids are small adult size so we were instructed to use the entire vial if unconscious. But I've also read (don't remember where) 1/2 could do the same and they wouldn't be as sick afterwards. Just wondering about other experiences and instructions.

Thanks all.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If my child were unconcious with a low I would not screw around with it, I would give the whole thing as fast as I possibly could.

3. steph

steph Approved members

i am in a different boat since my dd is only 2 and was around 22 lbs at dx. we were told to use only 1/3. the thought of sticking that giant thing in my baby's leg makes me nautious. but of course it is better than the alternative.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I just asked our doc about this because my daughter has grown significantly in the past year. We are now to give the entire thing. I would give it all, and expect her to get sick because regardless of glucagon or not, when she has a severe low she does get sick.

5. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

My son is 17 and we used the entire vial, he did throw up right away, but within 30 minutes, came up and was ok to eat something with carbs/protein to keep him stable. If you have a smaller syringe, you can draw the mix into that instead of using the larger syringe.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We had to use it several times for my son, and always used just half after the first time, and in a regular syringe. It worked just as quickly and he wasn't nearly so sick after. Unfortunately, he never forgot how bad that big needle hurt the first time, and my husband got bit a couple of times trying to hold him down for me to give the shot. Thankfully those are now just bad memories.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just curious, since he was conscious, why give him Glucagon? Why not give him carbs instead?

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We needed to use Glucagon when Rachel was 5. I gave her a 30 unit insulin syringe full. It worked quickly and correctly, and she didn't get any nausea afterward. She is now 10 and weighs 35 kg's and I keep a 50 unit insulin syringe rubberbanded to the Glucagon we carry. :cwds:

9. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

We were told to use a half.

10. Beach bum

I know in the most recent incident we had, I regret not using it. While she was conscious, we had to fight her and force her mouth open to get gel in, and even though it started to kick in, she was still combative for the addition carbs we needed to get into her.

So, IMO, that's a situation where we would have used it on a conscious person.

11. lisab

lisab Approved members

We were told over 2yrs and under 5..... to give 1/2 glucagon dose..... over 5 full dose. The first time we used it due to 'unresponsive' but not completely unconscious. She was fine and responsive enough to treat with carbs afterwards.

There is varying degrees of 'consciousness' and there is numerous situations that I would not hesitate to use Glucagon.

I have used Glucagon numerous times over the years.... in both emergency situations as well as Mini-dose-rescue.... and always will have a normal insulin syringe inside the case to use instead of the huge needle. This was advised by our Endo. There has been research that states that Glucagon injections done as sub-cut are just as effective as intra-muscular.

12. Beach bum

I wasn't aware until now (researching in regards to another thread) that the Glucagon, when used for a mini dose can be stored in fridge for 3 months.

Good to know.

13. lisab

lisab Approved members

Really?? That would be great!! Can you post the link? Thanks

I'd thought it could only be stored for 48hrs mixed. I have thrown out so much unused mixed glucagon. It would be great if it could be stored in the fridge for 3 months for the 'just in case'.

14. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

My daughter is 12, 5' 2" and about 104lbs. An appropriate dose is 0.5 for unconscious or seizing. If I'm with her, that's what I'll give, same if it's her brother. Her dad and the school aid will likely forget and give the whole thing, which won't kill her, but she will feel ten times worse and get sicker from it. I had problems with hypoglycemia growing up, and received glucagon once - it was beyond awful. Severe stomach pain, severe headache, I barfed all over the teacher who gave it, the hallway, etc. I was in 7th grade at the time, and the paramedics congratulated the teacher on handling the situation so quickly, but suggested the syringe be marked with tape ahead of time. That's what I've done with dd's glucagon syringe - marked it with a sharpie in the hopes it helps someone remember she doesn't need the full syringe.

15. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We tried, believe me, every time. Sometimes he was with it enough to drink something, but sometimes he was just too out of it to understand. Usually if I just kept saying that he was low and needed to drink, he would. He knew that I would stop pestering him if he did what I wanted. Other times he was just too far gone. He would spill it, and he was too out of it to chew anything. Almost animal like, is the only way to explain it. Once I tried chocolate frosting in his mouth, and we ended up having to call 911. I can't even imagine what they thought when they looked at him in that bed, with the frosting all over him and the bed. From then on, I learned when it would be pointless to try to give carbs. He would also get up and try to inject insulin and go down the stairs. One time he made it downstairs somehow and I didn't even know he was low until he got downstairs. He started running around the house, and falling to the floor. Over and over again, getting very close to the sliding glass door several times. I can still picture it like it was yesterday. There was no catching him until he finally got tired and didn't get up. Of course that is when the paramedics came. BTW, they didn't give glucagon, they hooked him up to an IV with glucose for a few minutes. That shot him high for sure, but he wasn't sick of course.

16. Beach bum

This may be one of those "don't believe everything on the internet." On the Lilly page, it says to toss. On MedicineNet, it says can be stored up to 3 months. Here's the link to that: http://www.medicinenet.com/glucagon-injection/page3.htm

So maybe use at your own risk? Don't know:eek:

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We were told to use 1/2 dose if under 25 Kilos (+/- 55 Lbs) for severe lows (not being able to chew/swallow or unconscious). Full dose if above 25 Kilos.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Personally, I'd give Jack half a dose. He's 4'10" and 88 pounds. So given that he's half the size of most adults, it seems like overkill to give him the whole thing.

19. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

See http://www.bcchildrens.ca/NR/rdonlyres/8954ADE9-2B5B-4524-9715-93F1E0CD5ED0/50837/minigluc.pdf

for information on the use of the Mini Dose

For dosing of a FULL dose in case of lack of consciousness, a good resource is Understanding Insulin Dependent Diabetes. See the pages on hypoglycemia: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...Davis/Documents/book-firstbook/firstbook6.pdf

I am going to do some research into the lifespan of the Mini Dose. I want to say that 24 hours is it, never 3 months BUT I do know that some of the artificial pancreas studies have included the use of a pump, I think, to deliver glucagon. This would indicate that the glucagon lasts for more than 24 hours.

20. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma had a seizure two weeks ago and we didn't use a full dose. She was conscious but unresponsive and unable to take carbs on her own. I mixed it and drew about half in a regular syringe and did a sub-q injection. Had she been unconscious, I would have probably just done the entire thing but she appeared to be starting to be a bit responsive when I stuck her so I felt ok with less than a full dose.

Despite the smaller dose, she felt awful later - not sure how much of the feeling was from the seizure and how much was from the glucagon.