- advertisement -

How much does MIO hurt?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by brokenheart, Nov 14, 2012.

1. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

My son has only been using the 13mm silhouette infusion set. It hurts really bad and I never knew there are other options.

As Medtronic called and asked us to upgrade our pump to the new 723 model, I asked them if they have infusion set with smaller needles. That's when I was introduced to MIO and then I watched a youtube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcaUtZxKJU and know how it works.

At 4:45, the kid in the video says it's basically painless. Those of you who have used MIO please share with me your experiences. Painless? Recommendable?

If yes, I will be calling to exchange the order which I just refilled and will be delivered today.

Thank you.

2. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Mio's are much easier to insert. They are only 6mm and insert at 90 degrees instead of on an angle. If your son has been exclusively using silhouettes, the mios would be a breeze!:)

We switched from the silhouettes to the mio's in the spring and my daughter likes them so much better!

3. brokenheart

Thank you very much. I wish I had known this sooner than today.

4. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

We go for pump training tomorrow afternoon and when I talked the sales rep and the trainer both of them said that the Mio's were the best way to go on our skinny 6 year old b/c they are smaller and easier to put in.....we'll see how it goes tomorrow

5. brokenheart

Come back and share with us.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Your other option is numbing creme. We've tried all the sites, and while Sils have the longest needle, I prefer them for the simple fact that they never, ever, ever fail us.

Numbing creme takes away the pain and stress of insertion, and is an easy solution if you are otherwise satisfied with Sils.

ETA: Sils are usually recommended for skinny kids, because you can control the angle of insertion.

7. brokenheart

We thought about numbing creme before, but understood that it takes 1 hour or so for it it take effect and gave up.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, you leave it on for an hour beforehand. We just slap a bandaid over the creme and he goes on about his business while we're waiting for it to take effect. It's worth it for us.

9. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dh used the Silhouettes a few years before learning of other options.
    He says they are WAY more painful then the Mio. Compares the Mio to fingerstick pain.

I'm sure Medtronic would send you samples to see what your son thinks.

10. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We use mios - no numbing cream needed

When we first started pumping our endo recommended sure-t's. We used them for a few weeks, but I hated the manual insertion and all the extra tape.

My husband is also type 1 and uses the Quick -set. I liked the idea of spring loaded without any manual insertion. We used these for a while, but I found that the sites tended to stick out a little and would get caught on my son's pants. (We do sites on the rear).

We finally discovered Mios and use them exclusively. I love the disposability of the sets (Quick sets are nice too - but you have to purchase a separate inserter). My son is only 5 and we have NEVER used numbing cream. I don't think it is really necessary.

The more you do it, the faster you get at insertion. We love Mios and I won't be changing any time soon. I can throw extra ones in my purse and not have to worry about having inserters or anything else.

I recommend trying it without the numbing cream. I am with the other posters in that it takes 45 min to an hour to work - then you have to cover it and remove it - wipe it off - too long of a process for me. We just wipe with an alcohol wipe, have him watch tV or play ds game and boom - I am done. It is over fast. He usually doesn't complain unless I just hit a bad spot. Good luck!

11. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Have you tried using ice before site insertions? We use an ice pack like you would use for a lunch box for a couple of minutes before site insertions. Have used silohuettes for 4 years and always iced before insertion with good results. We also use the silserter. Hope it helps with whatever site you use,

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we've been using the Mios for years. Kaylee likes them far better than any other set. I like them because their inserter is attached.

13. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Just to add-my daughter is very thin (14 years and only 84 pounds!) and very active with high school cross country and we have no issues with mio's. Call medtronic and request a sample.

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Mio is painless

15. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We didn't use it for a long time because DS didn't want to wait an hour, just drags out the process / reminder of the constant management. But then we decided to see if even 10 minutes helps. So if we want to do a site change at 5:45 at dinner, at any point between 4:45 and 5:45 if he doesn't look really into something, I'll ask him if he wants to put some on. Then he'll put some cream on with a bandaid. We have found that even 10-15 minutes helps a tiny bit. The longer it is on, the better, but most times he only leaves it on about half an hour.

16. brokenheart

Called last night to exchange my 13mm Sil to 6mm MIO and it will be delivered today. They are pretty fast. Gotta see more youtube video about how to use it, or maybe practice it on an orange?

17. momof2marchboys

I watched a video on Medtronic's mylearning site and it was pretty easy to follow - we meet with trainer this afternoon for full training -

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Practice on yourself - then you'll see that they really don't hurt, and you'll get the technique down.

19. momof2marchboys

Had our training the other day and my son freaked out when we went to do the mio inset but after it was in he was like that didn't hurt. We have had to change the set twice now as he caught it outside and ripped it out and have done the changes without almost no complaints and he wants to do it himself so that helps

20. brokenheart

Much like my son, he was freaked out and I roared. I apologized. The next day I asked if he wanted to go back to the 13mm Silouhette, he said he would prefer MIO.