- advertisement -

How much do you pay for short acting insulin per month?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wonder what the range of people's monthly co-pays are for insulin(short acting)

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

about $40.

3. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We pay $25 a month for 3 vials of Novolog for Connor and $25 a month for 2 boxes of Novolog pens for my husband so $50 total.
    $25 a month for my husband's Lantus pens also.

4. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We would be paying $55 for our Apidra every month, but I have the coupon that gets $20 off of that - so we pay $35 for 10 pens a month.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Guess I should add my own response.
    Currently I pay $10 a month Novolog per child.
    Next year Novolog is $60 a month per child.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

$25 for two vials per month via pharmacy and if we need cartridges, it will be $25 per box. With new tier on UHC it will go to $35. This is why we decided to stay with Novolog for now.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have a $35 copay with prescriptions. My son's 30 day supply is 3 bottles.

8. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

We pay over $225 for Jordan's 3 month supply of insulin.
    I'm thankful that we are close to the end of the year because he has reached his out of pocket maximum, and our next refill (that is ready thru medco) is only going to cost us $48!! :D YEAH!!!!!

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think that its $50 for a month, or $100 for 3 months through mail order

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Last year was one co-pay (mail order) of $20 for a 3 month supply of Novolog. So about $6.50 a month, if you used mail order.

This year they changed to $60 for Novolog(deleting the benefit of mail away being cheaper.) So $20 per month.

Also, we swithched to Apidra. They made Apidra $35 per copay. So it is $35 per month.

11. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

i pay

my son has coverkids so i pay 3 dollars for novolog pen refils and 5 dollars for stips and $3 for lancets and3 dollars for short needles and 3 dollars for novojr pen needles

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Um, none. My insurance has no copay for most diabetic medications and supplies. It's what keeps me at this mind numbingly dull job lol.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We pay $40 for a 3 month supply through our mail-order pharmacy. So like $13.00 a month. It's the same co-pay for Humalog or Novalog. I'm not sure about Apidra.

If we didn't use the mail-order pharmacy, it would be $20.00 a month.

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Copay is $30, whether for 1 month or 3 through mail-order. All diabetes scripts are tier 2, except test strips which are tier 3 and required an override (they don't cover Freestyle).

15. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We pay 20% which is $56 each month for 3 vials of Apidra. The cost was similar for novolog. No price advantage for mail order.

16. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

How do you get your endo's to write an RX for more than 1 vial a month?

I pay $35/vial at the local pharmacy or $70 for 3 months mail order.

Or $35 for a box of humalog pens at the pharmacy. The insurance wouldn't cover the Lantus pens, but we don't need those now and I have a few samples that are still good.

17. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

How is mail order? Any issues with the quality of the insulin from mail order? I have been afraid to order through the mail. I would use Medco.

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our endo told us to not use mail order. So, we get it from the pharmacy. I have wondered about doing it though. I used to get compounded insulin but it was just from the other side of town and was shipped overnight. It was always okay.
    Medco said it would only save like $5 dollars I believe. Not enough for me to do it.

19. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We have met our "maximum out of pocket" for the year, so we pay nothing at the moment. After the first of the year, we will pay 100% until our deductible is met, after that, we pay 20%... until we meet "maximum out of pocket" again.

We have done the math and we still end up paying less this way instead of so much coming out of my husband's paycheck for copay health plans.

20. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I've started getting mail order with MedCo recently. I was pretty impressed with how it was packed. It was in an insulated sealed pouch with an ice pack that still had a block of ice in it when it arrived, so it stayed pretty cold. But, I'm also right now fighting super highs and don't know if its the mail order insulin or the pharmacy insulin that we're using - I'm slowly trying to change elements to figure that out. If I figure out that its the mail order, I'll stop it immediately.