- advertisement -

How much do you pay for alcohol wipes? How often do you go through a box?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Adinsmom, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Stocking up on supplies and was curious. TIA

2. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Insurance pays for ours but we quit ordering them ages ago. We have about 3 boxes that will last us forever because we seldom use them.
    I keep a couple in the travel bag just in case we can't find a place to wash hands. Otherwise we never use them.

3. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

We get some through insurance but when we buy them at Wal-Mart, the reli-on brand is just over a dollar for a hundred, at the pharmacy in town a box of BD ones is almost $2. Not terribly expensive.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we get them through mail order.. the insurance pays for them.. they're only a buck or two at the pharmacies though.. I like the BD brand way better than the walmart brand, walmarts are a lot dryer... we only use them for site changes, before and after so we use 3 or 4 every couple of days.. takes a while to go through a box.. I have about 9 boxes lol..

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I've got so many I may never buy them again. i do like BD better than store brands because they seem to dry a lot quicker. We got a script for them with everything else and got them through out mail order pharmacy--like 1 million for 15 bucks.

We only used them to clean off hands that hadn't just been washed--"clean" hands for bs testing means carb free not germ free so they really arent' necessary. And we never used them for shots after the first week. :eek:

Now on the pump, we use IV prep for site changes. But the gallon ziplock bag of alcohol wipes will last us a lifetime.

6. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

I think my wife mentioned having enough of these that she'd like to give some away if someone needs them. If this is the case for anyone, please let one of us know. :)

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

It's a pittance compared to the cost of insulin or test strips..

8. sariana

sariana Approved members

We usually buy them on our own... approximately 2.00 a box which usually lasts us a week or more...

9. mamort

mamort Approved members

I bought a case at costco, they were on sale 2.49 for 3 boxes, this was 7 monthes ago, I still have alot left, we pretty much use them for site changes.

10. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I only use them on the insulin bottle when doing a changeout (we are pumpers and we are given IV Prep through insurance for insertions.). We stopped using them for finger pricks when my son's skin started having bad reactions a few weeks after dx -- we just use soap and water now.
    Eileen

11. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

We get ours at Costco, 3 boxes of the BD ones in a pack for less than $4 (I think). 3 boxes lasts us a few months.

12. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

I buy a big bag of cotton balls.. they are biodegradable and cheap.. and then I use a finger nail polish remover bottle from Sally's hair supply. The one that you pump the top to have the remover come out.. I just use regular alcohol in the bottle.. last forever.. and alcohol and cotton balls are cheap.. I think the finger nail polish remover bottle cost me 4.00.

13. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Between $1 and $2 a box, I dont use them to often. I got them thru mail order when I still had insurance. I have a few boxes left.
    If I am buying them myself, I like the BD ones, they have the cotton pad, verses the little piece of guaze that I see in the others, I like the BD ones better.

14. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

Ditto. We get ours at Costco for something like $4.50 for three boxes that last several months.

My question is... what do people use to wipe that little drip of blood from the finger after the BG test? We've been using those circular cosmetic cotton rounds that are something like $10 for 600 at BJs. A box of these will last quite a while, too, and they fit well in the meter case.

15. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

We use the Kroger brand-- 100 per box, on sale they're around $1.59. I usually buy a couple of boxes at a time, so I'd guess we go through a box every month or so.

We like that brand better than any others we've tried-- they are actually wet with alcohol, as opposed to some others we've tried that barely felt damp.

16. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

We did that for a long time, too. Now DD prefers a piece of a paper towel or a tissue-- she uses the same one several times.

17. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

"My question is... what do people use to wipe that little drip of blood from the finger after the BG test?"

Um. . . dd licks it. :( I know I know it's gross and i try to make her not do that and just give her a tissue. But she sometimes uses her shirt or pants too. And there are little red spots all over her sheets from testing at bedtimes, night, and morning. And red smudgy fingerprints on books and homework. The kid's a walking bio hazard. :rolleyes:

18. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We tried the cotton rounds, but didn't like them because they seemed to leave fuzz behind. So most of the time I just cut up a papertowel into little 1-2 inch squares and put some in his bag and the rest in the drawer for easy refills. We also cut up baby wipes for cleaning fingers for finger checks.

As to the OP question we had paid between $1-2 per box at Target/Walmart etc. Then we discovered our insurance was supposed to cover them so we had a script written for those and glucose tabs. At that point we found out that mini pharmacy provides both of those items for free, all you have to do is ask. So now we have more alcohol wipes and glucose tabs than we know what to do with since they seem to include them in every package we get!

19. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip licks his.:p I used to get the cotton rounds, but he never used them. I've given up on that fight.