- advertisement -

How much do you pay dog sitters?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by NatBMomto4, Jun 20, 2011.

1. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Andrew was asked by a neighbor to dog-sit for her on occasion when she goes out of town. She said she is usually only gone for a night or two at a time, usually every other week. They have a great set-up for their 2 dogs at her house, so his work will be fairly easy. The dogs have a pen in her garage and there is a door that leads from the garage directly into a large outdoor pen for them. Andrew has to go over in the mornings to open the door to let the dogs out, feed them and give them fresh water. Of course he will spend some time playing with them and giving them some love, too! That is all she is expecting of him until evening when he is to go back to let them back into the garage and feed them again.

She asked me to come up with a "pay" for him that I think is fair - the thing is, I have never done dog-sitting nor had someone do it for me, so I have NO IDEA what people pay or charge for this. What do you guys think - how much should a 13 year old get paid for this?

2. Texas16

Texas16 Approved members

We have 3 large dogs (2 labs and a border collie). We have a doggie door that leads from our laundry room to a side yard which allows the dog sitter some flexibility as to when they come. I have my son's friend come feed them twice a day (and freshen their water). I pay him $20 per day.

I look at it this way - it would cost me $25 per day per dog to have them in a kennel while I am gone.

3. taximom

taximom Approved members

I have worked with a pet sitting/dog walking service and she charged $15 per half hour (walking, feeding, scooping poop, etc.).

We have kenneled our dog as well, and they usually charge between $25-$30 per night.

Hope this helps!

4. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I'm old fashioned, for friends and neighbors when no driving across the county is involved, we do it for free. If they want to pay Ab, we let them decide. Just a nice thing to do, and they do nice thingss in return.

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I would say 15 dollars a day.

He does have to give up some of his time, and he may find out, that he will not be allowed to do something fun becouse of the responsibility. (which is a great life lesson :D ) :D

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

We have neighbors who have our kids take care of their animals when they leave as well. They have chickens that must be let out and fed and watered in the morning and then put in and locked up at night. They also have a couple cats that need to be fed in the morning and the food put away at night because they are outside cats and the raccoons are drawn to the food at night. They have a bird inside that needs fresh water and seed once a day and the cage cleaned if they will be gone for more than a few days. When this arrangement began she paid the kids $20 a day. That rubbed me wrong. We are neighbors and the "work" took maybe a half hour a day. I talked to the woman about it and asked that she not pay them, and if she really felt she needed to then to please make it more in line with how much work they were actually doing. Forty dollars an hour is too much!

What she does now is either give them a few dollars or she brings them back a cool souvenir or a gift card to Sonic---something like that.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

My son cares for the dogs next door when the neighbors go out of town. Usually for about 2 days. Food and water and let them out of the crates in the morning. Treats and toys and into the crates at night. And of course a little petting and doggy kisses.They give $20 for this and I think that's totally fine. After all we are not a kennel, it takes very little time, we are helping out the next door neighbors and I wouldn't demand the fees a professional makes.

8. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

My neighbors just hired my 11 year old daughter to take care of their dog for eight days while they are on vacation. She has to take him on a walk in the morning and the evening and feed him. We told her it would be good to go visit the dog a couple more times a day. They wanted to hire her and they are paying her $10.00 a day. I look at it like this. We are financially challenged and this gives her an opportunity to make some money. It is way less than they would pay putting their dog in a kennel and she is learning responsibility. We would have done it for free because we like our neighbors, but I think for them it is a way to bless my daughter.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is our philosophy as well.:cwds: