- advertisement -

How may infusion sets per month?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Shopgirl2091, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Those of you whose children are pumping - how many infusion sets do you go through a month? We just started this month, but it has only been three weeks and I've already gone through one box.

How many does your insurance pay for? We got four boxes for three months, but I'm worried we might need five with sites going bad, or failing after insertion.

I know some people change them every two days, we have been trying to wait every three unless something goes wrong.

Just wanted to check what the norm was - thanks!

2. Pemb

Pemb Approved members

We use about 15 in a month. We change the site every other day.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Same for us.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Ours are written for changes every two days but that is just because of failures. Ideally, we would get every failure replaced but it doesn't really happen. So, for us, a 90 day supply would be 45 for each kid.

5. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Our prescription is written for every 2 days, so we get 5 boxes for three months. But I would say we go through about 12 sets per month on average. We usually go 3 days, but sometimes need to change sooner.

6. Shopgirl2091

How do you get failures replaced? I think I've heard of this somewhere else but never figured out how to do it.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I don't think pump sites will be replaced for failing unless there is something specifically wrong with the site itself. Usually failure is due to issues beyond control (bad insertion, hitting something under the skin) etc. I can't remember anyone ever saying that they've had sites replaced unless it was a clear case of malfunctioning tape issues in the whole lot or something like that.

Most likely you've heard of sensors being replaced.

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I call OmniPod and tell them the pod failed. I haven't had any issues with getting 2 day fails replaced but have never asked if it fails on day 3, so they don't all get replaced.

9. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We change it every 3 days at dinner time. Although for a while we were changing every 2 days, I guess he was just too active, and they just wouldn't last. Maybe we didn't tape them down well for a few months? Right now we're using the infusion site tape that's a rectangle with a hole already cut in it. Works well. Site lasts the full 3 days.

Of course there's always the ripped out site every few weeks...

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Lately we've been having to change every 2 days. So i guess that's 15 a month. Right now our prescription is written for her to change her site every 2 days.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'll just echo Michelle, sites generally don't fail - if a site goes bad it's usually user error or just circumstances beyond the manufacturers control.

But, you will get better at inserting them and filling the cartridge and tubing and you won't always be burning through so many sites and even with 40 per quarter you'll build up a small stockpile :cwds:

12. Shopgirl2091

Thank you everyone! I just couldn't figure out if I was going through them too fast, even though I am only switching them out as often as I have to or as often as we are supposed to.

Thank you!

13. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

This. Pretty much exactly except I use the tape that come with my CGMs to hold down my site and use Tegaderm for the CGM.

14. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Here's some more perspective;

If your prescription is for a site change every two days, that's 15 per month; boxes are usually 10-count, and insurance, if you're doing a monthly refill, will cover 2 boxes per month so you have enough. That's 5 extra sites per month to cover the occasional bad site (bent cannula, hitting a blood vessel or nerve).

Now let's throw a couple more numbers into the mix: depending on your child's physique, bottom and belly sites may last a good 3 days, while arm/leg sites may only get two (we run into absorption problems on arms after 2 days). So if you can get three days several times a month out of your sites, then you're a couple more insets ahead of the game :). The longer you pump, the more reserve stock you'll find yourself with.

A tip for keeping those sites in: Hypafix is a staple in our home. You can cut it to size, it's really comfortable, and it's CHEAP! I've had the best luck price-wise on Ebay, and have found the 4" size to work well for us size and price-wise. With 7 children in the house, I've also found hypafix and simple gauze to be great wound dressings - and it works out to be cheaper than Band-aids for most boo-boos. We use the extra IV preps for good adhesion. Our nine-year-old boy has a big case of road-rash on his shoulder right now from a bike wreck and hypafix has helped it to heal faster and kept him comfortable in the process.

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Anthem allows us 6 boxes of 10 for a 3 month supply. This has been great for us to have built up some extra to allow for sending a 9 month supply with dd for college or for a semester abroad for 4 months.

16. skimom

skimom Approved members

I guess we are spoiled in that our doctor writes our scrip amounts "as needed" and insurance covers that. We now have a new government paid insulin pump and supply program and here is what they cover:
    The IPT Program covers the complete costs of a pump and the following basic supplies that are essential to pump use:
    • Insulin pumps – one every five years;
    • Infusion sets: up to 100 units per 100 days;
    • Insulin cartridges / reservoirs: up to 100 units per 100 days;
    • Serters: up to 1 unit per year;
    • IPT skin preparation (dressings and/or skin adhesives and/or adhesive removers): up to $100 per year;
    • Blood glucose test strips: up to 700 units per 100 days;
    • Blood ketone test strips: up to 20 units per 100 days;
    • Blood ketone test meter: up to 1 unit every 2 years;
    • Lancets: up to 700 units per 100 days; and
    • Insulin syringes or pen tip needles: up to 100 units per 100 days.
    Once enrolled, new IPT users will be eligible for a new pump every five years, and the above supplies on an ongoing basis. Existing IPT users will be eligible for supplies only, and only for a period of up to five years from the date specified in their confirmation letter.

Except for the five years between pumps, the plan is awesome.As for the original question, my kids change about every 3dys each but for planning and ordering I use 2.5 days as the average between site changes . Tubing and cartridges as needed but never more than 7 days.