- advertisement -

How many strips does your insurance pay for?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jensmami, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

My DD has had diabetes for almost 6 years now. At first we got 350 strips each month and then it was 300. Hubbies company switched insurance plans, new BCBS and the pharmacy tells me that they only pay for 200 now :eek::eek::eek: ???? Anybody else experienced that? Where you able to fight it? The script from the doctor said 300.

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We have BCBS. They require an override to be provided by the endo. We have to renew it every year, otherwise we'll be limited to 66 strips for 90 days.

I would call BCBS & ask them to send the form to your endo. It's faster that way.

3. Jensmami

what 66 strips, are they crazy! How many do you get now, if I may ask?

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi, Caro :cwds:

We have Cigna and had to call in an override. I also have to do this annually. It's not a big deal once you get to the correct person. ;)

5. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Over rides are typical for Type 1's as most insurances only cover 4 tests a day typically based on ADA recommendations for ahhhh for Type 2's....

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

300, although I'm a little nervous about renewing our Rx. At our last endo appt were were told we should never have to test more than 4 times per day, & never overnight. I'm hoping we don't have to fight for the 300/month.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Caro, BCBS pulled this with us too. We also have to get the yearly override.

8. Jensmami

Thank you all so much!!! I hate that kind of stuff :p:eek::mad:

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

God, I do too. And some of the side effects are such a PITA. For instance, we order 3 months of supplies at a time. And our authorization for the 300 strips expires on the first of the year. So when I went to order strips in early December, they would only give me one month's worth (which sucks because otherwise we get 3 months worth for 2 months copay). Then, when I ordered on January 1, they wouldn't send me 3 months worth, because I just got one month's worth. So they sent 2 months worth, and again we missed out on the 1 month free copay. A little thing, but so very annoying. (Now that I know all of this, maybe I'll be able to plan ahead and avoid it, but like I need one more prescription hassle!)

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

Historically, with Aetna, we got 1300 every 3 months but we switched to United Health and they had a 700 per 3 month limit. I called them and then notified the endo and they did a prior authorization so now it's approved for 1 year.

11. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We currently get 300 a month. We have gotten as many as 450. But anything over 200 you have to get an override/note from the endo etc.

12. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We have Aetna and get 300 strips per month. We had to get an override initially, but not every year.

13. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Even among all of the problems that I've had with my student health insurance where I live, they are really great about giving me what I need. I have access to an unlimited number of strips per month; I use what I use, and they cover it and refill it as needed.

It's rather convenient.

On my mother's insurance (my default for emergency room visits and such because student health does not cover that 100% like this does), I get 250 strips per month.

14. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

15. lovedroses

lovedroses New Member

I would love to have these problems - my insurance does not cover strips at all. Ebay is my best friend! (I am looking into WalMart ReliOn when my last ebay score runs low....)

16. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

Mine pays for 100 per month (3 tests per day, with 10 extra test strips left over)

right now I am trying to transfer my supplies to a different pharmacy & get a new BG meter, then going to try to get more test strips per month. I would feel more comfortable with 200 per month, since I will be driving soon, and working soon.

17. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

My son's insurance covers 900 strips every 90 days, so 300 per month. No override needed.

Christine

18. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

300/ month and we get a three months supply through the mail:) I think shortly after dx we ran out of strips and had to get the endo to up the script.... But never had to fight the insurance... Were very fortunate:) the only problem we've had with them was them sending the wrong kind (I was trying to switch meters) everyone is claiming they did nothing wrong so we have to wait util april and try again=[