- advertisement -

How many of you use alcohol wipes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Apr 4, 2010.

?

Do you use alcohol to prep for shots/pump sites?

1. yes

58.0%
  2. no

36.1%
  3. no but we use another antiseptic

5.9%
  1. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We use them for convenience. It's just easier than finding a place to wash up.

Chuck

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For fingersticks, she washes her hands with soap and water. If none are available I use a pad to clean her finger, making sure to wait a minute so it dries completely. I also use a pad to clean the insulin vials before each use and to clean the injection area. Why risk it?

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

Same for us. We're very careful with pump and CGM sites. We actually use ethanol, instead of isopropyl. :D

But we've never used alcohol for shots or fingerpokes.

4. carcha

carcha Approved members

This is what we do, verbatim.

5. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

We use an alcohol wipe for everything, finger pokes, site changes, shots and to wipe the insulin vial.

6. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Can't remember the last time I used an alcohol wipe for anything.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Exactly the same here.

8. dragonblimps_mom

dragonblimps_mom Approved members

I nearly always do her site changes and I use IV Prep for pump sites and alcohol wipes for CGMS insertions. I don't know about other CGMS meters but it's not recommended to use IV Prep with the Navigator unless you're very careful not to get it near where the sensor will penetrate the skin. It can affect the readings.

Amelia finds it tiresome to have to go find soap and water before doing a blood test. She usually uses an alcohol wipe for testing but sometimes forgets. She always uses one if I'm nearby. I suspect she may not use them when at school.

If you don't want to use alcohol wipes, you really need to wash with soap and water. When I catch Amelia not using a alcohol wipe, I usually ask her to retest. More often than not, her second reading is 15 or more points lower than the first. In several cases she was more than 50 points off. In my opinion, if you don't clean the site you will most likely over bolus.

Oh, and before you think I'm cruel for asking her to retest, Amelia says blood tests don't hurt much. Insertions are another matter entirely.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I used to wipe the end of the pen before sticking on the pen needle but Im always real careful to not touch any part of it before sticking it on so dont feel the need to. My hubby still does though. We've never used the pads for finger sticks though, just soap and water

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

What she said.

11. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Erin usually uses alcohol wipes for finger sticks but for pump sites we use iv prep.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Hmmm, I couldn't really answer, because I don't use alcohol swabs for shots, but we do use use them before putting on a new pod...To remove any oils from the skin etc...:cwds:

13. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I am slowly walking to the naughty corner!:eek:

We don't use anything and have had no problems. But in our defence, we did start out with good intentions!

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I use it sometimes. I usually change her pod right after a shower, so she's (supposedly :rolleyes:) clean.

After the first couple of weeks, I stopped using it for shots.

15. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Our admitting endo told us not to use them - just to make sure the area was clean. They did tell us to wipe off the top of the insulin bottle, but we don't do that either. :/ We do use alcohol wipes if we're out and about and I want to make sure their fingers are clean before testing.

16. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I voted no, because Jordan doesn't use them when he pricks his finger, however, he does use IV Prep before each site change.

17. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I answered "another antiseptic". But...

no alcohol for fingersticks--just clean fingers with water

not usually alcohol for pump sites--we typically use povidone

alcohol only for sensor sites

we typically didn't used alcohol for shots

18. Briar-Rose

Briar-Rose Approved members

I always use the alcohol swabs for site changes cause i forgot once and the site came off a few minutes later. so I think the alcohol sort of preps the skin.
    I never use them for anything else, though.

19. rare

rare Approved members

I voted no because we don't use them on the skin. However, I do use them to wipe the top of insulin vials and the reservoirs.

20. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

Soap and water for blood sugar checks and IV prep for site changes, so I voted no although things are clean, just not with alcohol wipes. We do have them in the bag when we are out and about and need to check.